• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pitch in for City !

Boyo

Controversial comment...

Instead of bemoaning the state of the pitch, why not shape a playing squad/style capable of playing on the surface available? Probably cheaper.
The comments from the Crewe manager after the game the other day were interesting. He stated that we are one of the best footballing teams in the league, but in essence it was impossible to play football on that pitch. He observed that our tactics were to get the ball into the final third and try to create from there.

I thought he was spot on and it was pretty dire to watch.

Players that perform well in those conditions are likely to be less effective when the pitch is firm in the autumn and spring.

All that said, I don't think spending £1m of a pitch that will last c10 years is a good use of limited resources. Surely a decent cover and drainage to get rid of the water would cost significantly less than £1m?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
The comments from the Crewe manager after the game the other day were interesting. He stated that we are one of the best footballing teams in the league, but in essence it was impossible to play football on that pitch. He observed that our tactics were to get the ball into the final third and try to create from there.

I thought he was spot on and it was pretty dire to watch.

Players that perform well in those conditions are likely to be less effective when the pitch is firm in the autumn and spring.

All that said, I don't think spending £1m of a pitch that will last c10 years is a good use of limited resources. Surely a decent cover and drainage to get rid of the water would cost significantly less than £1m?
Perhaps I'm getting it wrong, but haven't we installed new drainage and invested money in recent years on the pitch? Has anyone got a run down on what we've spent and when? if so, perhaps we can make a judgement of what further needs to be done.

IndoMike

Is our pitch totally flat or is there a slope! I assume there is a bit of a slope, as recommended by pitch experts (Yes, I googled)

Boyo

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong, but haven't we installed new drainage and invested money in recent years on the pitch? Has anyone got a run down on what we've spent and when? if so, perhaps we can make a judgement of what further needs to be done.
I seem to recall new drainage being installed a number of years ago, which then didn't work as expected. The various contractors all blamed each other and hence we couldn't pursue it? I also have something in my mind about the connection to the mains drains not being adequate and causing the water to back up?

Oldsmobile-88

I also have something in my mind about the connection to the mains drains not being adequate and causing the water to back up?
Andy Holloway mentioned recently that the sump(which connects the pitch drainage to the drain outside I presume) was not draining.
It is in the corner by the IP stand/St James Rd end.
I noticed yesterday that the water had been pumped out from the sump by a electric pump.

It could be a issue with the pipe from sump to main drain?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
The cost of supplying a professional rain cover for a pitch is only £23,000 . These have been supplied to Premiership and Championship Clubs. Surely the Trust could finance such a purchase?
Here's a link to the suppliers' website :- https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/covers/football-pitch-rain-cover.html

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The cost of supplying a professional rain cover for a pitch is only £23,000 . These have been supplied to Premiership and Championship Clubs. Surely the Trust could finance such a purchase?
Here's a link to the suppliers' website :- https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/covers/football-pitch-rain-cover.html
Trouble is, as I understand it, where would the water go?. My calculator says that 120 metres x 70 metres (pitch plus surrounds) x 1cm of rain is 8,400 litres or 8.4 tonnes.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Could sprinkle the pitch with it.

Here to help.

DB9

Trouble is, as I understand it, where would the water go?. My calculator says that 120 metres x 70 metres (pitch plus surrounds) x 1cm of rain is 8,400 litres or 8.4 tonnes.
I'd let it run down towards the railway line and blackmail Network Rail until they give us what we want FOC 🤣🤣

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd let it run down towards the railway line and blackmail Network Rail until they give us what we want FOC 🤣🤣
Yep, we could then convert the Waterloo line into a canal. Might even speed up the journey to London :)