• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Flybe Struggling (as ever)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure it would work for us, just less sure it would work for Coldplay...I think sponsors for lower league clubs fall into two distinct categories. 1. Local companies who can derive strong commercial benefit in terms of sales through a tie up with City 2. Local companies who are national or international in their outreach and see the tie up with City as a community contribution with additional benefits
For Coldplay it would amount to peanuts, of course
Would they think it would devalue their brand to be associated with a small club like City : I hope not.
Would they gain? Financially : very little. Reputation: maybe enhanced a little.
Hobby : I think so.
Not everyone always wants to make money from.every activity they do
Agree about your points 1 & 2 above, but it will need a company with a turnover of millions. As I said, there are several big companies each with hundreds of employees around Exeter. And as you said : most will want some kind of benefit from it.

LOG

They probably don't count as a rock group but Wet, Wet, Wet used to sponsor Clydebank.
Goldie Lookin' Chain sponsored Newport's kit for a season, complete with posh medallion:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I see we're playing at the University of Wolverhampton stadium tomorrow. I wonder if Exeter University would be interested in being on our shirts?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see we're playing at the University of Wolverhampton stadium tomorrow. I wonder if Exeter University would be interested in being on our shirts?
It's the 'University of Exeter' too, not 'Exeter University' :D
Problem is the Uni colours are green and white :(

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I get the impression the University is primarily focused on attracting wealthy foreign students so not sure they would see much benefit in sponsoring us.

andrew p long

I'm sure it would work for us, just less sure it would work for Coldplay...I think sponsors for lower league clubs fall into two distinct categories. 1. Local companies who can derive strong commercial benefit in terms of sales through a tie up with City 2. Local companies who are national or international in their outreach and see the tie up with City as a community contribution with additional benefits
a sub category is those organisations (often quite big) seeking to establish themselves in the area, and to enhance their general reputation ( so as to get more favourable reception etc to their ideas or proposals and to be thought of as a good thing) Before Flybe, think London and Manchester.

so how about the Met Office!

Grecian2K

Maybe a few more larger "local" possibilities?
Well EDF Energy still have quite a large presence out by Sowton I think? Could be good local PR and marketing in this increasingly competitive utilities "market" - not to mention the relatively close proximity of their new Hinkley Point play thing?

Or the Interserve "draymen" out at the former Carling depot?

Or perhaps (if we eff-up promotion yet again) maybe Screwfix might be the most useful choice? :cry:

ex_user1234

Resigned
Does anyone know what the going rate is for shirt sponsorship for a season for a club our size & exposure ?

I believe for a season the median sponsorship income from all streams for a L2 club is around £700k,with around 75% of that figure coming from the Sky TV Premier League pool.
£50k - £100k for L2 clubs.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Has anyone at the Club asked? For me it's the perfect tie-up as the University is a gold mine of potential ECFC supporters that we don't do anywhere near enough to cultivate. In return the University gets decent exposure to its brand in other parts of the UK at away games, and in other parts of the world when foreign students, wearing their City shirts, return home after studying. Win-win, as they say. Plus it would really promote the city of Exeter as a whole which would be great.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Has anyone at the Club asked? For me it's the perfect tie-up as the University is a gold mine of potential ECFC supporters that we don't do anywhere near enough to cultivate. In return the University gets decent exposure to its brand in other parts of the UK at away games, and in other parts of the world when foreign students, wearing their City shirts, return home after studying. Win-win, as they say. Plus it would really promote the city of Exeter as a whole which would be great.
No, all their spare cash goes on top salaries. The VC "Sir Call Me Steve" has a basic of £420K.