• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crawley Town Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
STURTZ you're joking right? In the unlikely event that you're not, the fact that Williams had "lost the ball" doesnt mean its not a penalty. The ball was still in play by the byline when Williams was clearly tripped; that was a pen.
I'm not even sure he was touched. He was going down before the challenge came, 'anticipating the challenge' is the technical term for diving I think. If it had been given against us I would have been up in arms.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
My take was first half despite us having the bulk of the play, Crawley looked the more dangerous our defence looked so disorganised, and we just couldn't pump in any accurate crosses, as someone else has said it was like we had never played together. Two notable chances one fell to Ajose or nearly fell to Ajose from a Dickerson cross which the goalie comfortably gathered, and ***king Hell Bowman's Header, surely it was easier to score, and why did he do it with so many children attending, I couldn't unleash a barrage of abuse for CHrist;s sake.

Second half didn't really improve good goal by Dickerson and contrary to a lot of opinions I thought he puts in a good cross, it's just a shame nobody is on the same wavelength or thought patterns, that said this and the goal aside he isn't Jack Sparkes.

Deano what a shocker he had, Despite the two saves by Ward if he was the man of the match tells you how dire most of the rest of the team was today.Law not back on form yet, Atangana kept getting caught in the mud, Jake was my man of the match for the effort he put in across the pitch.

I thought the subs were good and did change the pattern of play.

With regards to the referee and timekeeping (here you are Pete) I did time the stoppage time in the first half when there player kept going to the floor and yes he addded sufficient time for the stoppages, but why did we have them in the first place. Surely the player should have been treated off the pitch in line with the laws of the game.

Second half I didn't time the stoppage but again why was the match stopped, the player just went to ground (again) and like the first incident should have been treated away from the pitch.

On radio Devon Matt did say he questioned the ref about the extra time not being sufficient and did mention that it was recorded by the fourth official who Matt wasn't very complimentary about.

Mind you any more minutes and it could have gone either way. We'll take the point and move on, luckily apart from Cheltenham no major damage from (another) under performing performance.
“Surely the player should have been treated off the pitch in line with the laws of the game”.....Agreed but when did you last see this happen.... a law which seems to be totally disregarded by Club medics and the match officials.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
1st half - we were $h1te.

2nd half - we were better.

Moxey was generally woeful, his lack of pace is a total liability, Sweeney was generally poor.

Why is Bowman undroppable ? He's nowhere near his best yet he starts every game.

Positives - Richardson looked decent again on the right, Lee Martin added some energy which improved us and Law started showing some form again in the second half.

1burnm

I think Taylor would do well to forget Adjose in the run in and go back to playing Lee Martin in the attacking two. Lee may not enjoy playing up there but he's clearly the better footballer.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would like to see Seymour have a run of games. He's ;lively, always looks to receive the ball and knows how to score. Ajose and Fisher are just a waste of a shirt.

I thought Bowman worked hard today, love the runs in behind to collect throw ins.....

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We started off the season with a pretty decent defence but next to no striking threat. For some time now our defence has looked suspect and we have conceded a number of goals as a result of making basic errors.

Our striking threat shows no improvement unyet we have spent nearly all the season in one of the top three places. Will we stay there only time will tell. Personally I cannot see us making the automatics unless we can cut out these errors and also find a way of scoring regularly.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
John Yems clearly still with a lot of affection for us .

I thought it was a poor performance today for at least the first hour but at least we got something from it. Win on Tuesday and we'll be in a very good place. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tom Parkes come back on Tuesday - defence got opened up too easily on a few occasions and Deano very sloppy more than once.
What a gentleman John is - Once a Grecian ALWAYS a Grecian !

Blacky

Poor first half - better second obviously.

Would have settled for 1-1 before we scored but thought we we gonna push and get a second.

Obviously tricky pitch, and the wood work was hit twice, but onwards to Tuesday...

Question were the front two poor, or was the delivery and service lacking quality?! It certainly wasn't for commitment as counted 3 or 4 in the box when crosses came into the box

Ajose seems a striker that needs crosses and being fed......Bowman didnt seem to come alive til the last 15 or so for me.

Well played Lewis Ward, and I might be wrong but Nigel mom for me.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would like to see Seymour have a run of games. He's ;lively, always looks to receive the ball and knows how to score. Ajose and Fisher are just a waste of a shirt.

I thought Bowman worked hard today, love the runs in behind to collect throw ins.....
I thought we should continue with persevering with Ajose but not so sure now and agree that Fisher is also a waste of a shirt. MT has done well in his first two seasons in the hot seat but the one area in which he has failed has been his business in the transfer market associated with strikers.

We obviously do not know whether he has just been unlucky and unable to sign his first choices but I think we all knew that based on their playing records none of them were going to be the answer and so it has proved. Everything is still in our hands and somehow or other we have to try and make sure it stays like that.

Billtong

Going mental at wembley row 131 between seats 234-
I think there is an element of different wavelengths for from the strikers and the creators. One observation is Bowman does seem to get pulled out of the target area to feed the winger or aid play but then obviously isn't where he needs to be as the target man and no one else fits the target area meaning a cross to thin air. Also some faffing about and losing the ball from the wide areas instead of being positive and getting it into the mixer! Another observation why on corners do we not get someone in on the keeper making it difficult before the corner is taken?