• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's in numerous sources, I just happened to pick the first one. And yes, I did read it.
Well, I guess it depends what the definition of "weeks" is.
Anyway, let's hope this thing passes by quickly so everyone can.be safe and we can get back to the normal slings and arrows of life.

malcolms

Well, it seems the whole world disagrees with you, Malcs, judging from the number of major events which have been cancelled.
Are you right and they are all wrong? Is it collective hysteria or just taking responsible precautions?
And your comment about data from China is either naive (which I doubt) or quite frankly a cop-out.
You know that Chinese officials surpressed news of a strange virus which had appeared and even arrested the messenger?
The Chinese will always manipulate figures to make things look better than they really are. Their track record for honesty and transparency is not good
I have a meeting in Dubai next week and there is the Middle East Electricity Show and the Dubai Boat Show around the same time...The Mobile Phone Show was cancelled in Barcelona and the International Watch Fair in Geneve. Can scaremongering cause enormous economic damage? Of course it can. I made no comment about data from China and I'm inclined to believe that the numbers are coming down there but hey, let's run around with our arms in the air shouting Armageddon is coming. it's gonna help..

Anyway, this is a football forum so lets move on.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the advice of the club doctor Newcastle United have banned hand shaking at their training facility. Apparently they had some kind of morning handshake ritual as part of team bonding .

IndoMike

I have a meeting in Dubai next week and there is the Middle East Electricity Show and the Dubai Boat Show around the same time...The Mobile Phone Show was cancelled in Barcelona and the International Watch Fair in Geneve. Can scaremongering cause enormous economic damage? Of course it can. I made no comment about data from China and I'm inclined to believe that the numbers are coming down there but hey, let's run around with our arms in the air shouting Armageddon is coming. it's gonna help..

Anyway, this is a football forum so lets move on.
Ok Malcs. Agree to differ a bit
Have a successful trip to Dubai

tonykellowfan

There is also the small possibility that the season will have to finish early.

God knows what would have to promotion and relegation in those circumstances.

AndrewP

All a premature fuss in my opinion. 17 people in the uk have it currently.

I think we all need to calm down, If you read into how it is transmitted, people need to abide by basic cleanliness and hygiene principals (hand washing, sneezing into a hankerchief) - That will help.
Also, a healthy individual should not have any more servere effects than the Flu. Certainly, those with predisposed medical conditions should proceed with caution - as they should with the Flu, which kills more people.

IndoMike

I think we all need to calm down, If you read into how it is transmitted, people need to abide by basic cleanliness and hygiene principals (hand washing, sneezing into a hankerchief) - That will help.
Also, a healthy individual should not have any more servere effects than the Flu. Certainly, those with predisposed medical conditions should proceed with caution - as they should with the Flu, which kills more people.
I didn't want to comment again on this and am calmer than a statue of a sloth, but have to tackle you a bit on this.
Your advice reminds me of the government advice for nuclear war : hide under the table
If (and it's a big "if") the disease became more widespread, then every surface or object you came into contact with would be a potentially hazard.
Yes, if you get the virus you may not suffer much if you are fit, but you could certainly pass it on to someone who has a medical problem or is old or young.
Finally, you have no.idea if flu kills more people than Coronavirus, because the virus has only just started spreading and nobody knows how many people it will infect or even kill. Hopefully few, but we don't know
So I agree that there is no need for panic but this virus shouldn't be underestimated either.

Alistair20000

This.

andrew p long

Closing down the premier league would be a big economic blow. But as it is mainly a tv event now, they would probably go ahead with games in empty grounds and televise instead if the UK ended up banning gatherings of more than 1,000 as some places have done.

its another divide between the Cpl Jones and Private Fraser viewpoints.

Grecian2K

Closing down the premier league would be a big economic blow. But as it is mainly a tv event now, they would probably go ahead with games in empty grounds and televise instead if the UK ended up banning gatherings of more than 1,000 as some places have done.
Wouldn't affect Torquay then?!