• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Macclesfield Town v Exeter City Official Match Day Thread.

Red Bill

I was at Scunny where he scored a cracker to level us up but then didn't play for a while afterwards for some reason. He needs to be in the side.
He was the only player who could walk away from that game with his head held high!

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
My summary for what it's worth:

First half, weather Shiite, City played well, kept it on the floor and passed the ball around Macc, carving them open several times. Could and should have been 3 or 4 up at half time. Then they score a fluke and get some confidence.

Second half, weather even worse, Macc playing with confidence, get a second from a corner, start dominating us, King Matt makes two brave substitutions, strengthening the midfield by swapping Jay (who had a good first half) for Taylor and then swapping Ajose for Richardson, allowing Dickenson to push further forward. The 2nd substitution gave us control over the midfield due to our 5 against their 4, which was what we needed. We were then the better side for the last 10 minutes and we scored a reasonably lucky goal after their keeper pushed the ball out against Ryan's legs, although watch the highlights and look at their defender pulling Ryan's shirt!

Overall it was a win that felt lucky but shouldn't have, due to our first half dominance. Credit to Ryan Bowman (I love Ryan Bowman, me) for his relentless effort despite early misses (he never goes hiding) but overall huge credit to King Matt for two brave substitutions which were questioned on the terrace and seemingly on here. Swapping Ajose for Richardson was what won us the game.

I now want Macc to batter Argyle. See you all at Pompey.

My summary for what it's worth:

First half, weather Shiite, City played well, kept it on the floor and passed the ball around Macc, carving them open several times. Could and should have been 3 or 4 up at half time. Then they score a fluke and get some confidence.

Second half, weather even worse, Macc playing with confidence, get a second from a corner, start dominating us, King Matt makes two brave substitutions, strengthening the midfield by swapping Jay (who had a good first half) for Taylor and then swapping Ajose for Richardson, allowing Dickenson to push further forward. The 2nd substitution gave us control over the midfield due to our 5 against their 4, which was what we needed. We were then the better side for the last 10 minutes and we scored a reasonably lucky goal after their keeper pushed the ball out against Ryan's legs, although watch the highlights and look at their defender pulling Ryan's shirt!

Overall it was a win that felt lucky but shouldn't have, due to our first half dominance. Credit to Ryan Bowman (I love Ryan Bowman, me) for his relentless effort despite early misses (he never goes hiding) but overall huge credit to King Matt for two brave substitutions which were questioned on the terrace and seemingly on here. Swapping Ajose for Richardson was what won us the game.

I now want Macc to batter Argyle. See you all at Pompey.
Good spot reference the pulling on Ryan's shirt.

If he hadn't have pulled the shirt, Ryan might have been a foot further forward and missed the ricochet of the keepers hands 🤗.....

Rosencrantz

Good spot reference the pulling on Ryan's shirt.

If he hadn't have pulled the shirt, Ryan might have been a foot further forward and missed the ricochet of the keepers hands 🤗.....
That defender couldn't even hit the keeper with the ball from point blank range either. Had to settle for shouting at him 😄

geoffwp

huge credit to King Matt for two brave substitutions which were questioned on the terrace and seemingly on here.
Yeh, they do say fortune favours the brave.

Red Devon

Yeh, they do say fortune favours the brave.
MT crediting Wayne Carlise and Dan Green with the subs he wanted to stay with two up front.

geoffwp

MT crediting Wayne Carlise and Dan Green with the subs he wanted to stay with two up front.
Maybe it's a case of fortune favouring he who listens to advice then.

Legohead

Banned
It's all perfectly acceptable to question Matts subs. We all have different views. Personally speaking, even though we won the game I thought it was a mistake to bring Jay off at the time. Why should I or anyone else who thought that be pilloried? It's important to remember that we were extremely fortunate to leave Moss Rose with the points. Many comments were made at 2-2 and are still valid even though we went on to win the game.

I also am unsure why he leaves it so very late to make subs when it's not going as planned. Leaving it until the 83rd minute to replace Ajose with Richardson today when we were at 2-2. It's a recurring theme. We got lucky today scoring a fortunate goal against the run of play second half but i'm just glad we did.

Not raging criticisms but simply making observations and trying to understand the logic behind the use of substitutes is all. A difficult day at the office safely negotiated and it's credit to everyone today.

fred binneys head

Can't see anyone being pilloried, but I enjoyed your use of the word.

Red Monster

1,389 there today. An absolutely shocking crowd. Macc really need winding up. How many Grecians were there anyone know?
Not sure you could say that ,can’t me much fun being
A fan not knowing if you’re team is going be wound up
any day.
Points deduction etc.
But you do Know Macclesfield is a small town population 51k
Always going to struggle to get more than 3k even if in the top
Six ,let alone 23rd in the League.