• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Oldham Athletic AFC Match Day Thread

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
4G pitch isn't the answer. How much is one of those lovely premiership pitches and why don't they cut up like a lower division pitch?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
1. 4g isn't allowed in the Football League.
2. The players hate it.
3. Players with chronic but manageable knee conditions wouldn't be able to play.
4. From a purely personal perspective, the aesthetic of the game is ruined.
5. It's an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.
6. 4g pitches also suffer from wear and tear and need replacing after a shortish shelf life.

Plus they're flammable (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4839487/hyde-mk-dons-fa-cup-pitch-fire/) and of course they cause Cancer (https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-tackles-chemicals-in-artificial-football-pitches-cancer-rubber-pellets/).
Sure, but apart from that...

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hold you’re horses where did I say that Matt got the team all wrong.
I just had a option that Randall Williams didn’t look as affective
On the left, I even said he could have had a off night.

As for Joel Randall of course he will get his chance and if
Lee Holmes is fully up to speed then no problem with him
Being on the bench.

I hope this will satisfy you
Apology accepted. I love to see the youth do well, but just don't like the baying for young players to be put in. Generally, we know more about the older pros because we've seen more of them. Warts and all. Young players are pure potential, so we haven't had a chance to be disappointed yet. Thus, there's an optical illusion where we think they have to be of almost unlimited talent and therefore are much more deserving of a place than old timers who we've seen shanking crosses into the bank multiple times. That said, I'm frustrated by this general trend, and picked on your fairly innocuous comment, perhaps unfairly.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apology accepted. I love to see the youth do well, but just don't like the baying for young players to be put in. Generally, we know more about the older pros because we've seen more of them. Warts and all. Young players are pure potential, so we haven't had a chance to be disappointed yet. Thus, there's an optical illusion where we think they have to be of almost unlimited talent and therefore are much more deserving of a place than old timers who we've seen shanking crosses into the bank multiple times. That said, I'm frustrated by this general trend, and picked on your fairly innocuous comment, perhaps unfairly.
What fantasy world do you live in Edwin? There has been no clamour on these boards about playing youngsters just for the sake of it. You're arguing against an opinion which has never been made. Is anybody saying that Arthur, Dean, Key, Hartridge, Chrisene et al should be in the team? No. Regarding Seymour and Randall : they are both in the squad.
Rather than cheekily accepting RD"s apology it would have been more gentlemanly to apologize yourself for putting words into his and others' mouths

edindevon

That red card incident was... hilarious!

I suppose there may be some twisted logic in handling on the line in the last minute of a cup semi final, but at 1-1 in the first half of a league match!?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That red card incident was... hilarious!

I suppose there may be some twisted logic in handling on the line in the last minute of a cup semi final, but at 1-1 in the first half of a league match!?
In fairness to Wheater it was probably instinctive - I did the same once in a friendly match with the score 0-0 in the first half. Full length diving save (in my defence I was usually our keeper at the time!). Quick as a flash I got up and said to the ref "Good job this is a friendly otherwise you'd have had to send me off!" - the ref chuckled and took no further action.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rather than cheekily accepting RD"s apology it would have been more gentlemanly to apologize yourself for putting words into his and others' mouths
I pretty much did.

Rosencrantz

Great result last night one thing I noticed was Randell Williams
Didn’t look half as effective on the left as he does on the right,
Maybe just a off night, but it must be food for thought for
Matt , as Richardson had his best game in Williams position.

But if Williams doesn’t produce the same on the left unfortunately
Richardson will have to move .
I think it's was a mix of heavy and cut up pitch and off night rather than just playing on the left. He has though, got used to playing on the right and is now more comfortable going on the outside and crossing with his right rather than coming inside more often than not. It might take him a whole to adjust to being the same double threat on the left.

IndoMike

I pretty much did.
Ok. So I accept your apology 😉

exeter-loyal

I said we were going to hammer someone soon and that was the night. Same again Saturday would be nice. Good to see the goal difference a lot more healthier than a couple of weeks back.