• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What's the most Grecians have taken away ?

les.gtfc

Glad you have stayed with us - your contributions are valued by Exewebbers, Les.
Despite our years in the wilderness it's been a good relationship all round over the years John. I've met and got to know a number of Exeter fans personally over the years. I've been to a few Exeter games and that's been reciprocated by a number of Exeter fans coming along to a few Grimsby games.

The only problem is we seem to be a bit of a Jonah for each other as I've been to 3 Exeter games (not against Grimsby) and you've lost all 3 whereas I don't think we've won any of the games where I've met up with Exeter fans. Thankfully no Exeter fans were at Wembley when we beat FGR to win promotion back to the league!

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Despite our years in the wilderness it's been a good relationship all round over the years John. I've met and got to know a number of Exeter fans personally over the years. I've been to a few Exeter games and that's been reciprocated by a number of Exeter fans coming along to a few Grimsby games.

Thankfully no Exeter fans were at Wembley when we beat FGR to win promotion back to the league!
After that defeat against Bristol Rovers at Wembley mate,we thought it might be better to give the FGR game a miss 😁 We did not want to tempt fate to be Jonah’s for two Wembley games.

We felt your pain during the penalty shootout.It was a surreal experience for all of the Grecians in the Grimsby end that day(6 of us went iirc)

les.gtfc

After that defeat against Bristol Rovers at Wembley mate,we thought it might be better to give the FGR game a miss 😁 We did not want to tempt fate to be Jonah’s for two Wembley games.

We felt your pain during the penalty shootout.It was a surreal experience for all of the Grecians in the Grimsby end that day(6 of us went iirc)
Yeah, it was an amazing atmosphere that day. That "FISH" chant that echoed around Wembley will live long in the memory. I still maintain that their keeper should have been sent off when we were 1 nil up for handling Ollie Palmers goalbound effort outside the box. The referee has since admitted that he should have sent him off but didn't want to spoil the game as it was so early!!!

Still, it did prompt Operation Promotion when our fans raised over £100k and only delayed our promotion by 1 season.

Grecian666

I remember years ago away on a Tuesday night at Scunthorpe when I was one of 5 city fans
Think I can probably top the lowest attendance. Back in 1987 I went to see City away at Darlington and was the only Grecian there! It was the days of caged grounds and I was alone in the away end bar two coppers and a steward! The original fixture was scheduled for the Tuesday night, was called off due the weather, and then played on the Wednesday. This I presume was why there was no away support, bar me of course! I was working locally and staying in a hotel so easy enough for me to travel. At half time a club official came an invited me to watch the second half in the grandstand, and after the game invited me into the VP lounge and fed me pie and chips - before my long drive back to Devon! I hadn’t the heart to mention I was actually staying in a hotel up the road!

About 10 years later I was listening to talksport and there was a phone in about supporters and someone from Darlington rang in said about the day only one fan turned up! I was the Exeter one 😂

Avening Posse

Ive been racking my brains to see if I can better any of these but can't, I went to quite a few away games in the 80's but struggling to remember anything as low as some of the ones mentioned, I do remember a game at Orient in the 80's where we did a minibus from Dawlish where there was hardly anybody apart from us, but definitely more than the paltry numbers mentioned earlier :)........it's amazing to remember the low numbers back in the day when you compare to how many travel now

Oldsmobile-88

Think I can probably top the lowest attendance. Back in 1987 I went to see City away at Darlington and was the only Grecian there! It was the days of caged grounds and I was alone in the away end bar two coppers and a steward! The original fixture was scheduled for the Tuesday night, was called off due the weather, and then played on the Wednesday. This I presume was why there was no away support, bar me of course! I was working locally and staying in a hotel so easy enough for me to travel. At half time a club official came an invited me to watch the second half in the grandstand, and after the game invited me into the VP lounge and fed me pie and chips - before my long drive back to Devon! I hadn’t the heart to mention I was actually staying in a hotel up the road!

About 10 years later I was listening to talksport and there was a phone in about supporters and someone from Darlington rang in said about the day only one fan turned up! I was the Exeter one 😂
I reckon that is the top one..👍

The original Saturday fixture a few weeks before was called off at very late notice(around 1.30pm iirc) much to everybodys dismay on the minibus.

Rumour had it that there was no one there for the rearranged game at the time.That myth has now been dispelled.
Incidentally that game was Colin Appletons last game before he resigned.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love the way this thread has evolved into the opposite of the the thread title. In the Trust era I guess the re-arranged Trophy game away at King's Lynn in our first season in the Conference must be a contender for the lowest away following.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love the way this thread has evolved into the opposite of the the thread title. In the Trust era I guess the re-arranged Trophy game away at King's Lynn in our first season in the Conference must be a contender for the lowest away following.
I drove over for the original game - arrived in time to see the team warming down outside so drove home

4 hours or so for nowt 😳

Don't knock it (I don't think you are!) but I'm loving you guys reminiscing of days gone by, speaking as a fan who's of the more recent past and used to travelling with the boarded that attended the Swindon game last week. Thank you all!

Rosencrantz

Got to Kings Lynn on the supporters coach after about 3 days (or so it seemed) for it to pull up and our kit man was waiting to tell everyone it had just been called off. They did let us in for a quick pint before turning homewards (5 days).