• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town Vs Exeter City Official Match Day Thread. LD2 Brexit Day

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stop peacocking, it’s embarrassing.

The man has made a fair point regarding the limitation of the AWAY capacity, and the opportunity to capitalise fully, should we aspire to climb the pyramid.
I'm not peacocking. We have space for away fans at the away end and in the grandstand. It's more than enough. So no problem.
And although our away end is smallish, in order to keep balance it's fair to mention that we have a great standing terrace which creates a very good atmosphere
So what are your ideas for making the away end bigger?

Last edited:

elginCity

I'm not peacocking. We have space for away fans at the away end and in the grandstand. It's more than enough. So no problem.
And although our away end is smallish, in order to keep balance it's fair to mention that we have a great standing terrace which creates a very good atmosphere
Close St James Road and build a cantilever away stand. Seriously though, we’re constrained by the size and footprint of the ground, and not owning it. That’s why I only aspire to L1 level and to sustain it, and I’ll die happy. Not being able to sell more tickets when the demand is there will obviously hold us back. That’s all our friend is saying.

Close St James Road and build a cantilever away stand. Seriously though, we’re constrained by the size and footprint of the ground, and not owning it. That’s why I only aspire to L1 level and to sustain it, and I’ll die happy. Not being able to sell more tickets when the demand is there will obviously hold us back. That’s all our friend is saying.

Fair point....I'm with you there! Know your limitations!

IndoMike

Well, a shortage of space for away fans might be a problem on a rare occasion, but unless we increase the ground capacity then there's not much that can be done about that, regarding the percentage of tickets that must be offered 'n all.
And we can only do that by moving, I guess,- a topic that has been discussed many times already on these boards.
And there was me thinking that the Swindon fan was being patronising...🙄

grecIAN Harris

Make it steeper and build over the walk way at the back. That should give us another four or five steps back, length of the pitch minus the gap...…… I reckon that would get another 250 in at least.

IndoMike

Make it steeper and build over the walk way at the back. That should give us another four or five steps back, length of the pitch minus the gap...…… I reckon that would get another 250 in at least.
Is that feasible?

exeter-loyal

If not more. A lot of space behind that away end.

Well, a shortage of space for away fans might be a problem on a rare occasion, but unless we increase the ground capacity then there's not much that can be done about that, regarding the percentage of tickets that must be offered 'n all.
And we can only do that by moving, I guess,- a topic that has been discussed many times already on these boards.
And there was me thinking that the Swindon fan was being patronising...🙄

Don't worry, he wasn't!!! Just deluded into thinking STFC is a much bigger club than it is!! Small town in Oxford?

PeteUSA

I totally agree with you on that,Ian. That away end used to be a good size before it was decided a walkway and a snackbar needed to be fitted in behind it! I would like to see that walkway scrapped, and the terracing restored to the full depth again. Okay if that 10 step tin stand was utilised again, it wouldnt cover people at the front from the elements, but it would probably cover 75%, which would be enough for some of the less supported visitors. The snackbar would need to be relocated, but does it do a lot of business behind there, particularly with rotten tuesday night away attendances?

Colesman Ballz

In league 2 excluding yourselves and Plymouth 400-500
In league one it would be more than double that.
My reference to your away end is Swindon wanted more tickets and that was at the start of the season so imagine if we played you now.
Not sure where you stand regarding your terrace behind the goal in league one although I think Burton have one so you may be ok.
The time when standing on our big bank will become an issue is if and when we reach the Championship, but then you have a period of grace before the all seater rule comes in (5? seasons). The all seater rule only applies to the Premiership and Championship, so perfectly ok in League 1. When the Big Bank was built the terracing was designed to enable seats to be installed, although it will obviously cut down the capacity. However once you have become all seater, you can't revert. Burton's stay in the Championship wasn't long enough to force them to go all seater. Teams like Plymouth can never revert. Hopefully common sense will prevail and "safe standing" will become fully accepted, and banish Thatcher's draconian measures (although the miner's are dead and buried).

I am not sure why you were refused more tickets for our home game, unless it was for seats, as the allocation is for one block of seats (c.350). The away terracing has a capacity of 950, so c.1300 in total. You brought 1063, a figure only topped by Plymuff with 1154 which was a officially a sell out, although the ground safety officer had reduced the capacity in the away end to 800 (presumably down to the high percentage of knuckle dragging morons that they have in their following) ! Large numbers of their following had left long before the end however as we gave them a 4-0 hammering, oh what joy ! Setting aside the knuckle dragging, maybe again it was the safety officer, as with the away end only opening mid way through last season you were providing the first real test in terms of numbers.