• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Social media presence

Scott_Palfrey

My only concern about the top heavy use of social media for organizations is that it tends to become the default way of communicating with customers / potential customers. I fully understand 'online' is the way of the world today and tomorrow but I do feel that some clubs and indeed organizations simply over rely on their use of their social media sites as the generic way and the only way of engaging with customers / fans.

Engagement and interaction takes all forms.

I've seen some clubs twitter feeds and websites and they've just really become a conveyor belt to promote tickets and merchandise etc and don't really engage or offer anything different other than plugging tickets etc. Just really glorified classifieds. Nothing of interest or social interest in there at all. They smack of laziness, disinterest and apathy which is an often an indicator of how the club is run behind the scenes generally. In effect they may as well put up a sign saying, 'Nothing to see here'.

The social media profiles of ECFC prove that those responsible for running the club and also the social media / fan engagement side of the club are passionate about the club, passionate about the city, passionate about football and passionate about us all as supporters of this immersive and inclusive football club.

Keep up the excellent work!
You've hit the nail on the head. This is a club to be proud of, one that has strong values at heart, actively works to help improve Exeter and the local community. it's great to see attendances average around the 5k mark this season, which puts us around 6 out of the 24 clubs in the league, so we are improving from the days of 3.5ks. It's a long process but having the right people and doing the right things certainly helps!

We would hate to see out output just being sales sales sales, it's about engagement and that's what I'm passionate about - providing an insight into the team/players and actually responding too/asking questions of fans and getting them involved!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've hit the nail on the head. This is a club to be proud of, one that has strong values at heart, actively works to help improve Exeter and the local community. it's great to see attendances average around the 5k mark this season, which puts us around 6 out of the 24 clubs in the league, so we are improving from the days of 3.5ks. It's a long process but having the right people and doing the right things certainly helps!

We would hate to see out output just being sales sales sales, it's about engagement and that's what I'm passionate about - providing an insight into the team/players and actually responding too/asking questions of fans and getting them involved!
One of the wonderful things about a club like Exeter City is that they are able to take a long-term view of things. A video of City players answering silly questions may not lead to an immediate or tangible increase in sales but it all helps an exiled fan like me feel closer to the club and ultimately makes it more likely I'll put my hand in my pocket and pay for iFollow or renew my trust membership.

Legohead

Banned
Also the plan should not only be about attracting fans and growing the fanbase by making the club more appealing via social media content but it should also be about keeping existing fans engaged, included and motivated by social media content.

As I'm sure ECFC are aware of and doing.

Scott_Palfrey

Also the plan should not only be about attracting fans and growing the fanbase by making the club more appealing via social media content but it should also be about keeping existing fans engaged, included and motivated by social media content.

As I'm sure ECFC are aware of and doing.
That's why we try and put out as many videos as we can - the interviews etc, fan interviews - that is as crucial as attracting new fans :)

Dannyred

So You don’t cover any of the Exeter City women’s team matches or interview them then, Men Only is not what this club should be solely focusing on with its family club image.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well our SM is certainly a lot better than a premiershite club we are playing today, only one message no photos and despite having a dedicated page to the match no updates. Keep up the good work boys
They are probably more than a little embarrassed !

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well our SM is certainly a lot better
We do sado masochism at the club?? 😱It wouldnt hurt to keep that quiet.

Scott_Palfrey

So You don’t cover any of the Exeter City women’s team matches or interview them then, Men Only is not what this club should be solely focusing on with its family club image.
First of all, you've come across rather aggressive in tone there, which isn't needed.

We try and give coverage in terms of match reports and sharing their updates as well as news as much as we can. I would be more than happy to chat with you in person about our resources and ways we can help support even further if you'd like to do that?

Dannyred

First of all, you've come across rather aggressive in tone there, which isn't needed.

We try and give coverage in terms of match reports and sharing their updates as well as news as much as we can. I would be more than happy to chat with you in person about our resources and ways we can help support even further if you'd like to do that?
Not meant to come across sounding aggressive at all it was just my point of view.

Yes we can arrange that at a match soon. Cheers

Scott_Palfrey

Not meant to come across sounding aggressive at all it was just my point of view.

Yes we can arrange that at a match soon. Cheers
Sounds great! We are always willing to chat about what we do/how we can improve and other avenues!