• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What I would also say is that often it seems to be that those actively involved tend to be "nicer" than people yelling from the sidelines.

On Saturday morning while out delivering a chap asked us if we were canvassing - I replied that we were delivering to Conservative postal voters. He said he had a bunch of Labour ones to deliver later that day. We parted on good terms, saying that at least we had a nice day for it (if cold).

Bittners a Legend

What I would also say is that often it seems to be that those actively involved tend to be "nicer" than people yelling from the sidelines.

On Saturday morning while out delivering a chap asked us if we were canvassing - I replied that we were delivering to Conservative postal voters. He said he had a bunch of Labour ones to deliver later that day. We parted on good terms, saying that at least we had a nice day for it (if cold).
I'm not involved with any party and I wouldn't dream of abusing anybody delivering leaflets or anything else. It is just about fundamental human decency, something increasingly missing from our politics. There are consequences to what all of us say and do. For the most part I think Exeweb's debate is conducted on very good terms but even on here all the usual tropes about traitors and the rest of it get repeated blithely and as if it it is a normal or reasonable thing to say about somebody. Those that behave so appallingly in public are given licence and encouragement by those that write the same things online.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not involved with any party and I wouldn't dream of abusing anybody delivering leaflets or anything else. It is just about fundamental human decency, something increasingly missing from our politics. There are consequences to what all of us say and do. For the most part I think Exeweb's debate is conducted on very good terms but even on here all the usual tropes about traitors and the rest of it get repeated blithely and as if it it is a normal or reasonable thing to say about somebody. Those that behave so appallingly in public are given licence and encouragement by those that write the same things online.
To be fair, I don't think it exclusive to politics. Human beings are naturally tribal, and will take any excuse to join a group and stick with it through thick and thin, then fight off all the other groups. I'm sure most of us have seen the same at football matches.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did it make you reflect on your own use of language? What do you think happens to "remain" supporting MPs as a result of the narrative of "traitors" gleefully spread online in many quarters?
No, not really.

Remain supporting MP's deserve all they get at the moment imho.

Last edited:

Bittners a Legend

No, not really.

...and herein lies the problem. Just sad.

DB9

No, not really.

Really? You might not agree with them but in no way are they there to take vile abuse from the public or anyone

Alistair20000

No, not really.

As long as it is with reasoned arguments delivered with civility

Mr Jinx

No, not really.

Actually, I will caveat/correct that sorry:

Remain supporting MP's representing Leave heavy constituencies deserve all they get at the moment imho. And caveats to that will be MPs like Caroline Flint who, although she did support Remain, is now sympathetic to the Leave cause.

Conversely, so do Leave supporting MPs representing Remain heavy constituencies to a degree (although it was Leave that won). Burrowes falls into the latter (if he does get re-elected), but the abuse he was getting when I was there had nothing to do with Brexit.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Actually, I will caveat/correct that sorry:

Remain supporting MP's representing Leave heavy constituencies deserve all they get at the moment imho. And caveats to that will be MPs like Caroline Flint who, although she did support Remain, is now sympathetic to the Leave cause.

Conversely, so do Leave supporting MPs representing Remain heavy constituencies to a degree (although it was Leave that won). Burrowes falls into the latter (if he does get re-elected), but the abuse he was getting when I was there had nothing to do with Brexit.
And therein lies the crux of the matter. As long as this attitude persists, vitriol and abuse will always be part of politics in this country.

Mr Jinx

And therein lies the crux of the matter. As long as this attitude persists, vitriol and abuse will always be part of politics in this country.
How can politicians demand respect when they deny democracy?