• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cambridge v Us match day thread. FA CUP 1st rd.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
That old chestnut is flawwed, and you know it. Rightly or wrongly, outfield players can miss the goal all day long as long as we're in the lead. A GK error that leads to a goal that affects the final score cant be atoned for, even if a keeper plays out of his skin after an error. That was a rank f*****g awful goal to let in, absolutely no excuse, now we have a lousy replay to deal with. I bet that'll pull a good crowd of an evening!
He was unsighted

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just sorting through my programmes of games attended.The FAC 1st round game at Newport in 1977 took place on 28th Nov.
The 1st round was in the last 2 weeks of November rather than the first two weeks as happens now.
The 10 days between the original date & replays required now are the reason(reqd from 1992 iirc)

PeteUSA

He was unsighted
I did consider that and the fact that a defender or two are in his line of vision, but thats really no excuse. That scuffed effort had no particular power behind it, so Maxted had ample time to get down and stop that shot. I'm totally baffled why he did get down and yet the ball went clean under his body. Judging by his (and Taylors) response, I think JM was more than a little disappointed that ball got past him; very poor reaction. I'd have dropped down to stop that if I'd got the right shoes on!

Red Devon

Interesting that MT hinted in the post match press conference yesterday that Archie may hold on to the captaincy once Jake is available again.

Legohead

Banned
I agree that it wasn't the best goalkeeping but there are other players and aspects of a game to comment on other than persistently analysing every goal we concede like some obsessive forensic scientist. ;)

Interesting that MT hinted in the post match press conference yesterday that Archie may hold on to the captaincy once Jake is available again.

Ummm don’t think you listened properly - he may do it again whilst Jake is banned.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that it wasn't the best goalkeeping but there are other players and aspects of a game to comment on other than persistently analysing every goal we concede like some obsessive forensic scientist. ;)
It's the nature of message boards and fans in general. Ryan Bowman also seems to be getting a lot of the blame for our recent poor results, even though the goals conceded seems to be a bigger issue than us not scoring enough at the other end.

Legohead

Banned
Maxted makes a mistake and he's pilloried by some whereas if Bowman misses a couple of clear cut chances every game then somehow it's not as bad. It's equally as bad in my book so if we are to be critical of Maxted then the same logic needs to be applied to the likes of Bowman which Pete never does.

Juan Kossof

Agree with most of the comments but frankly with the dominance of the game we had we should have been more then 1-0 up by then!

andrew p long

The way I heard it was that he may keep the captaincy for the next two games. I would have thought that if either Dean Moxey (vice captain) or Nicky Law had been available on Saturday they would have had the armband.