• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
You’ll concede that there is an attempt to cancel the result of the 2016 referendum vote, which if it succeeds means the original decision gets ignored, yes?
You can engage in all sorts of rhetorical gymnastics if you want on the history of U.K. referendums but if the result of this one gets cancelled or sidelined, it is without precedent. If Leave voters in the future have to own any economic or political disaster that may come from Brexit, you chaps on the other side have to own the potential catastrophic effects on our democracy of a referendum ignored.
It will be a democratic abomination and deep down I think you know it.
Tavy you are wasting your time with this tbh mate with asking a simple question like this and the person who it was aimed at doesn't even acknowledge the leave result !
Pi$$in against the wind springs to mind.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
A friend had a conversation with one of Tavy's "the people" while in a taxi in Sunderland as they were driving past the Nissan works:

"I expect you're wondering why, when we've got this car factory here, we all voted for Brexit. Well I'll tell you. It's because life is **** up here and you southerners just don't get it. If we're suffering it's about time you did as well".

It is democratically unthinkable not to grant this taxi driver his wish I'm told. Not because he's right, or because leaving the EU will improve the lot of himself and his fellow mackems, but simply because he's in a majority.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think it's unreasonable to question whether this line of reasoning is the best way to determine my children and grandchildren's future
Those poor Norveners with their high speed rail links right around the corner and numerous other multi billion pound projects past, present and future always bleating on about how badly off they are when apart from London area more public monies go north than anywhere else !
Look at the Rockbeare bypass how long that took to get off the ground and the half a$$ed road that we were left with to see the southwest regions don't even raise a blip on the radar as far as public spending goes.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tavy you are wasting your time with this tbh mate with asking a simple question like this and the person who it was aimed at doesn't even acknowledge the leave result !
Perhaps he's just put him on "Ignore". :whistle:

arthur

How do you know I don't acknowledge the Leave result? If you look at some posts from a few days ago you'll see I do just that, so much so that Al felt impelled to cheer me up.

Would you like to acknowledge that if the main reason for leaving the EU is that people are angry and embittered primarily with Britain and Westminster (rather than the EU), then leaving the EU isn't a particularly clever thing to do?

Alistair20000

Didn't realise that you were running the Tedburn Leisure Centre Al?
Yes G2K; very profitable it is too but don't tell HMRC :censored:

Alistair20000

:) :)
The Tedburn Conservative Club, Shirley?
I am not a member of any political party Indo. Would happily run something for the Tory party if they paid me well to do it.

Mr Jinx

Why did Call Me Dave not repeal the FTPA when he won his majority in 2015 ? It had a purpose when we had the Coalition. Just the usual CMD laziness ?

I recall Lady Nugee squawking daily after the 2017 GE that Teaser was "squatting" in Number 10 having lost her majority. Rubbish of course as the Tories were by far the largest party and her duty was to seek to form a government which she did. I wonder why Emily is not calling those MP's who have changed parties "squatters" for that is exactly what they are. I guess it is because they are mainly Remainers like her. They are too gutless to submit themselves to a by election of course.
I imagine the first thing Boris will do when he wins the GE with a decent majority is scrap the FTPA.

arthur

So he hasn't pulled it after all. Drama queen or what? As I said yesterday he can take the country out of the EU, but not necessarily on October 31st. What's his problem?

elginCity

So he hasn't pulled it after all. Drama queen or what? As I said yesterday he can take the country out of the EU, but not necessarily on October 31st. What's his problem?
His backers have all shorted the pound ?

IndoMike

I am not a member of any political party Indo. Would happily run something for the Tory party if they paid me well to do it.
Quite right