• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scunthorpe Away

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The fixture computer comes up with another beauty, it's almost like the EFL want empty stadia. Oh well off we go anyway and Matt Taylor has a mini crisis on his hands. Bottom line is - we need to score goals but somehow I don't see them coming yet .

Brave defence will earn a point. 0-0

Oops, sorry about the thread title....

Legohead

Banned
Having been to a few Scunny home games this season i have first hand experience of empty stadia. :LOL:

They very occasionally sing, "Iron! Iron! Iron!" and that's yer lot.

Personally i love going to these games at bleak northern outposts on a midweek night, especially when they are close to home. Even a ground as aesthetically demoralizing as Glanford Park is these days. Makes me feel like i'm doing my bit and making up for most of the home games i can't get to in a season.

Their defence is shocking. Any sustained pressure and they can't cope. They are particularly vulnerable to the counter attack. McGahey has the turning circle of the QE2. McArdle is more effective as a goalscorer from Scunny corners these days as opposed to effective defending. Perch will probably get sent off for the 9th time this season if we wind him up. Their keeper is indecisive and error prone.

They have a smattering of real quality in the side. Matty Lund is better than Scunthorpe. Perhaps their best player. Abu Eisa, brother of Mo is a real handful. Tricky, direct and dynamic for leaue 2 level anyway and he's a thorn and Ryan Colclough has been out injured for quite a while but has been in and out of the team. He's got quality too although he's often inconsistent. Basically their midfield is quality. Their defence and attack are poor.

They have tried numerous players in attack this season, often only playing one up top even at home which has frustrated the Iron fans but they still look poor in those areas.

Kevin Van Veen is their only real natural goalscorer but if you starve him of chances he does little else. Novak runs around a lot and can sniff out a goal but he's poor. Proctor has been brought in on loan from Rotherham and never scores. George Miller was brought in from Barnsley and never scores. Kyle Wootton never scores and he's been loaned out to Notts County where he scores. They've got Jamie Ward in now.

I'd be actually really disappointed if we didn't beat Scunthorpe as they are an extremely predictable side, low on confidence and low on quality and if we get the first goal we'd be looking good for a result. They've not come from behind to win yet although they have gained the odd draw when behind.

I have to go for a 3-1 win for us.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The fixture computer comes up with another beauty, it's almost like the EFL want empty stadia

There is method in their madness..The long haul midweek fixtures are games where there would be unlikely to much away support even if the game was held on a Saturday.
With the recent emergence of ifollow the awkwardness of those midweek fixtures has made it easier for supporters who do not like to miss a game to still watch,of course.

Oldsmobile-88

The fixture computer comes up with another beauty, it's almost like the EFL want empty stadia. Oh well off we go anyway and Matt Taylor has a mini crisis on his hands. Bottom line is - we need to score goals but somehow I don't see them coming yet .

Brave defence will earn a point. 0-0

There is method in their madness..Midweek fixtures appear to be compiled on the basis of their not being much away support even if the game was held on a Saturday.

With the emergence of ifollow,the awkward midweek fixtures are nullified to a certain extent.Don’t fancy a long drive ? Watch from the comfort of your home for a tenner in the knowledge that a proportion of the fee goes to your club.

I have not used ifollow yet,but the time of long midweek travelling is coming to a end for me soon.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd take a draw right now to offer a bit of stability after Saturdays drubbing before we play the big one on Saturday. Scunthorpe don't appear to be all that great this season.

I noticed that if we were to lose tomorrow and Argyle were to win then if they beat us on Sat they would go above us in the table!. A lot of if's but it just goes to show how quickly things can change in football. They are unbeaten in 4 games, possibly 5 by the time we play them so we have to be in the same mindset as that of when we played FGR.

STURTZ

Having been to a few Scunny home games this season i have first hand experience of empty stadia. :LOL:

They very occasionally sing, "Iron! Iron! Iron!" and that's yer lot.

Personally i love going to these games at bleak northern outposts on a midweek night, especially when they are close to home. Even a ground as aesthetically demoralizing as Glanford Park is these days. Makes me feel like i'm doing my bit and making up for most of the home games i can't get to in a season.

Their defence is shocking. Any sustained pressure and they can't cope. They are particularly vulnerable to the counter attack. McGahey has the turning circle of the QE2. McArdle is more effective as a goalscorer from Scunny corners these days as opposed to effective defending. Perch will probably get sent off for the 9th time this season if we wind him up. Their keeper is indecisive and error prone.

They have a smattering of real quality in the side. Matty Lund is better than Scunthorpe. Perhaps their best player. Abu Eisa, brother of Mo is a real handful. Tricky, direct and dynamic for leaue 2 level anyway and he's a thorn and Ryan Colclough has been out injured for quite a while but has been in and out of the team. He's got quality too although he's often inconsistent. Basically their midfield is quality. Their defence and attack are poor.

They have tried numerous players in attack this season, often only playing one up top even at home which has frustrated the Iron fans but they still look poor in those areas.

Kevin Van Veen is their only real natural goalscorer but if you starve him of chances he does little else. Novak runs around a lot and can sniff out a goal but he's poor. Proctor has been brought in on loan from Rotherham and never scores. George Miller was brought in from Barnsley and never scores. Kyle Wootton never scores and he's been loaned out to Notts County where he scores. They've got Jamie Ward in now.

I'd be actually really disappointed if we didn't beat Scunthorpe as they are an extremely predictable side, low on confidence and low on quality and if we get the first goal we'd be looking good for a result. They've not come from behind to win yet although they have gained the odd draw when behind.

I have to go for a 3-1 win for us.
Blimey they sound even worse than Cambridge...…..oh hang on.

exeter-loyal

3 or 4 strikers their where you say they never score. Let's hope this is the case tomorrow night and we are on the right end of a 4-0 hammering!

Red Devon

Three points at Scunthorpe and it would still make a good haul of points from the two away games despite the disappointment at Cambridge.

exeter-loyal

Three points at Scunthorpe and it would still make a good haul of points from the two away games despite the disappointment at Cambridge.
We have to bounce back and not go and lose 3-4 in a row now!! Next 3 games before the fa cup tie is really important. Got to put more points on the board!!

Last edited:

exeter150

Exeter at Scunthorpe 1974, the game that was never played.