• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
You think there's not gonna be upheaval with NO DEAL. No practical, social, political and economic upheaval?
You have to make your mind up, DHS. You want to remain or leave? I want to remain, with no messing. What do you want?
I want us to remain but we had a vote and I lost, Much as I'm concerned about the future we have to accept the result and make the best of it, How we leave, that is what is causing the problem that the leave campaign never told us about, They did say it would be easy and it's obviously not

tavyred

And yes, people wil be upset if Brexit doesn't happen. And a large number of people will be upset if it does. It depends how the situation is handled.
Nope.
One outcome has democratic legitimacy and the other hasn’t.

arthur

Nope.
One outcome has democratic legitimacy and the other hasn’t.
It was an advisory referendum. What is democratically legitimate about one decision taken on one day overriding all other considerations? Please could you answer my question about Ireland above, a country that manages to function with a different understanding of democratic legitimacy from yours...

IndoMike

I want us to remain but we had a vote and I lost, Much as I'm concerned about the future we have to accept the result and make the best of it, How we leave, that is what is causing the problem that the leave campaign never told us about, They did say it would be easy and it's obviously not
D89. I read your first 5 words and then stopped. That's enough for me. It's the way it is now. Everything has been gone over a million times. Friends have been lost and friends have been gained. Emotions have run high.
You want to REMAIN? : good, let's hope it happens. The rest of the sh+t I've grown tired of. What's the point in arguing? Three years trying to fiddle with a crazy problem while Rome burns. A veritable Rubic Cube. The country has gone nuts. Johnson is nuts. Corbyn has gone nuts. And I won't even mention Tavyred 😂

Last edited:

elginCity

Muzzled and shackled ? Oh dear. (n) I though you might have believed in the right to free speech Elgy.
Not when it deliberately hinders the right to free speech of others, e.g. TV presenters and guests. Gaffer tape would sort it.

Good to see you defending the rights of the self-appointed spokesperson for the 16 + million and counting, though, Al. A significant and growing 'will of the people' one might say.

arthur

I don't think Boris even needs Farage now. Especially after Corbyn's interview on Marr this morning.
Stand by for the return of the Independent Labour Party, last seen in 1975!

DB9

D89. I read your first 5 words and then stopped. That's enough for me. It's the way it is now. Everything has been gone over a million times. Friends have been lost and friends have been gained. Emotions have run high.
You want to REMAIN? : good, let's hope it happens. The rest of the sh+t I've grown tired of. What's the point in arguing? Three years trying to fiddle with a crazy problem while Rome burns. A veritable Rubic Cube.
If somehow things change and we remain, That will not solve the problem, It won't just go away. Yep i agree that 3 years of inaction and trying to get a deal done has made the UK a laughing stock, Business have said the worst thing is the uncertainty, They haven't been able to plan for whatever happens and i do tend to listen to them instead of partisan politicians

IndoMike

If somehow things change and we remain, That will not solve the problem, It won't just go away. Yep i agree that 3 years of inaction and trying to get a deal done has made the UK a laughing stock, Business have said the worst thing is the uncertainty, They haven't been able to plan for whatever happens and i do tend to listen to them instead of partisan politicians
There is no solution that will satisfy all.
How deep the dissatisfaction will run remains to be seen.
Leaving with or without a deal will have complicated consequences which will exist for several years : some say decades.
Hopefully the country can come together eventually and there won't be too much unrest.

tavyred

It was an advisory referendum. What is democratically legitimate about one decision taken on one day overriding all other considerations? Please could you answer my question about Ireland above, a country that manages to function with a different understanding of democratic legitimacy from yours...
I’ve no idea (and little interest) why Ireland was asked to vote twice on a EU referendum, why not do your own work and find out why yourself?
There are no ‘considerations’ that currently trump the need to carry out the 2016 referendum result.

arthur

I’ve no idea (and little interest) why Ireland was asked to vote twice on a EU referendum, why not do your own work and find out why yourself?
There are no ‘considerations’ that currently trump the need to carry out the 2016 referendum result.
I didn't ask why Ireland was asked to vote twice, I asked why it did so without resorting to the emotive narrative of betrayal which you and others are so eager to employ.
I'm sorry that you think that there are no circumstances in which a decision taken once can never be questioned - on that we ll have to agree to differ