• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Coventry City V Exeter City Carabao Cup 1st Round - Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don’t think MT was too impressed with THAT last night... dropped a big hint of more transfer activity in and out in the post match press conference....Listening on the radio Jack Sparkes second half performance was the big pus of the night with not a lot else to take from the game.
We can't keep signing players, deciding that they're not right for us, and then signing more. Also we can't read too much into a match which few people cared about. It is a concern that some didn't step up to the plate, but no need for panic yet.
Matt T admits he's very demanding. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I hope he balances criticism with praise and encouragement. This is his team now, his signings, and it's up to him to get the best out of the players now.

Dannyred

I do hope that Ward remains fit. I'm not at all impressed with what I've seen of Maxted. That first goal v Coventry; a definite question of why he let that shot past him - all along the ground from a yard inside the penalty area. And that third; Christ almighty that was an awful piece of keeping! No better than Pym there, thinking more of self preservation than preventing the ball from going past him from a crazy impossible angle! He also looks heavy and I dont believe he's all that tall?
The keeper last night reminded me of another james hamon. I think ward is in a different class and hope he stays fit. Clearly popular with the reception he got from the fans at the end.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We can't keep signing players, deciding that they're not right for us, and then signing more. Also we can't read too much into a match which few people cared about. It is a concern that some didn't step up to the plate, but no need for panic yet.
I agree with this and definitely think we need to gives the likes of Fisher and Maxted more time to settle in before we write them off. However, there's less excuse for Jay and Tillson to be under-performing and it's looking unlikely they will be playing in the league anytime soon so you'd think they would benefit from moving somewhere else.

IndoMike

I agree with this and definitely think we need to gives the likes of Fisher and Maxted more time to settle in before we write them off. However, there's less excuse for Jay and Tillson to be under-performing and it's looking unlikely they will be playing in the league anytime soon so you'd think they would benefit from moving somewhere else.
And I agree with that.

Matt Phillips

Within 5 minutes of watching Ward I could see that his kicking is leagues ahead of Christy Pym's.

I wasn't at Stevenage, either, but I've seen enough in the home games and PSFs to think that your opinion is nonsense.
Given how different people's views are, who would be a manager 🤷‍♂️

We're only into the start of the season, but it's easy to see that technically, Ward's kicking is poor. Listen to his recent interview, he said he became a keeper because he couldn't kick and still wouldn't be able to play outfield! When the ball is stationary on the ground, he's fine - but as soon as he has to deal with a back-pass he's all over the place and he has no left foot. He also always opts to throw, rather than kick, out of hand. Christy on the other hand was probably the best keeper with his feet I've ever seen play for City.

I have no doubt that Ward is the better shot-stopper out of our current two, but from the two games I've seen, and what I've briefly seen online, Maxted is more complete. I guess it depends on what you want from your keeper. I'd definitely pick Maxted based on the two performances.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given how different people's views are, who would be a manager 🤷‍♂️

We're only into the start of the season, but it's easy to see that technically, Ward's kicking is poor. Listen to his recent interview, he said he became a keeper because he couldn't kick and still wouldn't be able to play outfield! When the ball is stationary on the ground, he's fine - but as soon as he has to deal with a back-pass he's all over the place and he has no left foot. He also always opts to throw, rather than kick, out of hand. Christy on the other hand was probably the best keeper with his feet I've ever seen play for City.

I have no doubt that Ward is the better shot-stopper out of our current two, but from the two games I've seen, and what I've briefly seen online, Maxted is more complete. I guess it depends on what you want from your keeper. I'd definitely pick Maxted based on the two performances.
Happy to see Ward throw instead of trying to be too clever and losing the ball playing around like Christy often did and apparently still does with Posh.

Also he gets a good distance with his throws and usually finds a City player.

GrecianExile

Maxted is better than Hamon IMO and Ward has the potential to be better than Pym IMO so I think we are well served in that department

Would be nice to see some more pace somewhere in the back line but taking out the Coventry game which saw a number of changes and playing against higher opposition I think generally we look quite strong at the back.

Hoping up top Ajose can spark and go on a run of goals, I like Bowman but unfair to rely on him for all our goals though I think he will contribute a good share if he stays clear of injury. Seymour one for the future and again has potential, Fisher I’m reserving judgement until I’ve seen a bit more, looks at the moment like a back up for Bowman rather than competition for Bowman

PeteUSA

Maxted is better than Hamon IMO and Ward has the potential to be better than Pym IMO so I think we are well served in that department.
I consider Ward to be better than Pym right now. Largely because he was short (there I've said it!), Pym struggled badly on crosses in his 6 yard area, and corners. Pym also never developed the correct technique for advancing off his line to close an incoming forward down; Maxted blindingly obviously has the same problem, Coventrys third goal from a tight angle? I dont care about Wards kicking, he's the best by far of the two we have.

GrecianExile

I consider Ward to be better than Pym right now. Largely because he was short (there I've said it!), Pym struggled badly on crosses in his 6 yard area, and corners. Pym also never developed the correct technique for advancing off his line to close an incoming forward down; Maxted blindingly obviously has the same problem, Coventrys third goal from a tight angle? I dont care about Wards kicking, he's the best by far of the two we have.
Harsh on Maxted that but each to their own I guess

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Further evidence, if any was needed, that I clearly know nothing about football. i now expect Tillson to start on Tuesday if Taylor is not fit.