• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Coventry City V Exeter City Carabao Cup 1st Round - Matchday Thread

scottus86

You Tube "highlights"

Fisher tracking back for that first goal but not even making a challenge probably sums up the entire performance.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
By the way, for those interested in formations..my view was...

We started with 3 at the back, Sweeney Warren Moxey. 4 in midfield - tillson and Jay centrally with Collins(!) and Sparkes wide (wing backs). I thought Martin had freedom to roam, so I would call it 3-4-1-2.

When the subs came on it became a conventional 4-4-2. Woody and Martin A joined the back four replacing Deano, Sparkes went to right wing and (not before time) Collins was switched to the centre and Jay to wide left. Lee Martin joined Seymour up front replacing Fisher.

benjisheps

By the way, for those interested in formations..my view was...

We started with 3 at the back, Sweeney Warren Moxey. 4 in midfield - tillson and Jay centrally with Collins(!) and Sparkes wide (wing backs). I thought Martin had freedom to roam, so I would call it 3-4-1-2.

When the subs came on it became a conventional 4-4-2. Woody and Martin A joined the back four replacing Deano, Sparkes went to right wing and (not before time) Collins was switched to the centre and Jay to wide left. Lee Martin joined Seymour up front replacing Fisher.

This is how I saw it as well watching the game on I-Follow this morning. Also, after we went 3-0 down, for the rest of the 1st half we also went to a 4-3-3 (4-5-1) just to get to HT, with Collins going into CM with Jay and Tillson, and then L.Martin on the Left and Ben Seymour on the right with Fisher up top. Again, I think this was more of a reaction to not concede another before the break.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fearful of what? Not making the autos? Playoffs? Mid-table obscurity? Relegation?
Not achieving anything this season.

exeter-loyal

His kicking is just as bad as his predecessors - take it you weren't at Satanage?
Few of the pre season friendlys and the Maccelsfield game I thought shot stopping and kicking wise you couldn't knock him, a lot around the stands also mentioned it and I agree. Didn't go away on Saturday but from reports that I heard the wind did disturb both keepers kicking but shot stopping wise again on Saturday he was decent when called upon.

jrg333

His kicking is just as bad as his predecessors - take it you weren't at Satanage?
Within 5 minutes of watching Ward I could see that his kicking is leagues ahead of Christy Pym's.

I wasn't at Stevenage, either, but I've seen enough in the home games and PSFs to think that your opinion is nonsense.

PeteUSA

I do hope that Ward remains fit. I'm not at all impressed with what I've seen of Maxted. That first goal v Coventry; a definite question of why he let that shot past him - all along the ground from a yard inside the penalty area. And that third; Christ almighty that was an awful piece of keeping! No better than Pym there, thinking more of self preservation than preventing the ball from going past him from a crazy impossible angle! He also looks heavy and I dont believe he's all that tall?

IndoMike

Fisher tracking back for that first goal but not even making a challenge probably sums up the entire performance.
That's unfair. The guy was fast and always ahead of Fisher. Fisher could have brought him down from behind, but that's all. I noticed that for their second goal (or was it 3rd) Williams was back on the goal line, so both made efforts to track back. You can't ask more than that.
This is an area that City has had problems with over the last couple of seasons : our opponents break fast through midfield and we're not able to stop them. More cynical teams would nip that in the bud by bringing down the guy breaking through.

chunkymorrinmunter

You Tube "highlights"

oh dear some gifts for coventry.

Red Devon

Don’t think MT was too impressed with THAT last night... dropped a big hint of more transfer activity in and out in the post match press conference....Listening on the radio Jack Sparkes second half performance was the big pus of the night with not a lot else to take from the game.