• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jay Stansfield

Boyo

As the system stands there will never be a way to get a full value fee if a player leaves at 16 on non pro terms as there underage no one owns them as such they are purely playing as a hobby the fact they are at Exeter is no different than if they were playing for Pinhoe or Whipton hopefully a sell on at later date will make it seem more fair to us perhaps.
Our Academy does not exist to provide a hobby for teenagers. We invest significant cash into infrastructure and coaches to maximise the chances of producing players for our first team and/or to generate income. The current system provides a set fee as "compensation" to the Club based on set criteria. For Jay Stansfield I believe the EPPP figure would amount to c£70k. Fulham have paid more than that and well done them. However to put that into context, last season Fulham were reportedly paying Andre Schurrle £100k EVERY WEEK.

The system is broken. There is limited incentive to produce players at a young age. Indeed I've not seen any mention of a sell-on clause or appearance money for Stansfield.

I hope the lad has a fantastic career.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's an interesting discussion, the benefits of having an academy with a full range of teams from 8 upwards, against a sophisticated scouting system that identifies players who have been developed, but discarded, by other clubs. Taking them at an age where they have potential to improve and then to sell them on when they are worth real money....I think Brentford have made a success of this strategy and although there will be many who disagree, it certainly has its merits.

iscalad

It's an interesting discussion, the benefits of having an academy with a full range of teams from 8 upwards, against a sophisticated scouting system that identifies players who have been developed, but discarded, by other clubs. Taking them at an age where they have potential to improve and then to sell them on when they are worth real money....I think Brentford have made a success of this strategy and although there will be many who disagree, it certainly has its merits.
City have recently re-advertised for 3 Academy scouts. Maybe not a lot of interest in the jobs.

Langer

Our Academy does not exist to provide a hobby for teenagers. We invest significant cash into infrastructure and coaches to maximise the chances of producing players for our first team and/or to generate income. The current system provides a set fee as "compensation" to the Club based on set criteria. For Jay Stansfield I believe the EPPP figure would amount to c£70k. Fulham have paid more than that and well done them. However to put that into context, last season Fulham were reportedly paying Andre Schurrle £100k EVERY WEEK.

The system is broken. There is limited incentive to produce players at a young age. Indeed I've not seen any mention of a sell-on clause or appearance money for Stansfield.

You can’t make a underage player sign a legally binding contract no matter how you invest in the academy.

IndoMike

The big cats steal the food from the plates of the small cats. Langer is correct that there's little to be done about it and Boyo is correct in saying it ain't fair. Only the FA and/or League can restore some balance, but the former is just a puppet of the PL and the League doesn't have the ballz.
A fixed fee should be set depending on the academy grade the kid comes from.. It should be more than the current fee.

andrew p long

I am not sure whether this was under the EPPP fixed formula or the intermediate type of compensation determined,in default of agreement, by a tribunal ( as per Ethan). IIRC the EPPP fixed formula has add ons for appearances , though of a trifling amount compared to real value.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I am not sure whether this was under the EPPP fixed formula or the intermediate type of compensation determined,in default of agreement, by a tribunal ( as per Ethan). IIRC the EPPP fixed formula has add ons for appearances , though of a trifling amount compared to real value.
It was a negotiated transfer deal.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster

Agree with this but for clarity, the compensation we received was not under EPPP.

Boyo

You can’t make a underage player sign a legally binding contract no matter how you invest in the academy.
Of course not. But the authorities could force higher league Clubs to not just provide compensation to lower league clubs for nicking players, but actually properly reward them. That would then actually work as in incentive for Clubs to raise Academy standards to everyone’s benefit.

Boyo

Brentford do act as a stepping stone Club, taking young players from down the leagues and cashing in on them. The model is based on spending ‘moderate’ amounts (by Championship standards) on transfer fees. Our equivalent hunting ground would be Conf North/South. But that’s often PT football and a big step up to the pro game.

Looking at discarded players from higher up and developing them is another model. I fear our location puts us at a significant disadvantage with that particular route however.