• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Macclesfield Town Matchday Thread

scottus86

I find the critisims of Sweeney interesting. He does give the ball away often with the simple passes but his distribution also led to our best chances as well. As a defender he's not bad and doesn't get caught out often even if he is a little slow. I thought we looked alright defensively, but agree that we need to add some pace in there or we'll need to play a deep back line which will isolate our midfield and our strikers.

For me it was our midfield that let us down yesterday and as everyone else has said, Law must play in the middle and I think L.Martin needs to start. Neither Collins or Taylor covered themselves in glory yesterday and we need someone a little more dominant in there.

Bowman can run the front line by himself if necessary. Ajose will need to prove himself quickly to warrant a starting place ahead of Martin or Williams.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Before this Macclesfield related thread fades into oblivion perhaps time for a little nostalgic quiz for any other Grecian "anoraks" to ponder.
1) When did City make our first appearance at the Moss Rose ground.
2) What was the score (Bonus point for naming ALL of the scorers) - Hint: It wasn't 0-0!!!
We won 2-1 at Moss Rose in our first away game in Division 3 after being promoted as champions, but I can't find who the scorers were. This was also, I believe, the first game Chester played there. What is amazing, when compared with how many games are now played in August, is that the match actually took place on the 1st September.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm relieved to read a few more positive comments about our full backs as I was beginning to think I was the only person who thought they did ok and that I'd been watching a different match. As for all the discussion of Nicky Law's best position I personally think this is something of a red herring. I don't think he is suited to a strict 4-4-2 whether he is playing out wide or in the centre. By contrast the 4-2-3-1 formation gives him the freedom to interchange with the other 2 attacking midfielders and pop up wherever he wants, whether out wide or more centrally.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
We won 2-1 at Moss Rose in our first away game in Division 3 after being promoted as champions, but I can't find who the scorers were. This was also, I believe, the first game Chester played there. What is amazing, when compared with how many games are now played in August, is that the match actually took place on the 1st September.
Scott Hiley on 26 minutes and Danny Bailey late on.

grecIAN Harris

We were having a conversation about how early the season seems to be starting year on year. It always used to start about the last few days of August or the very beginning of September. It's all because all the poor little lambs can't manage two games in a week more than once every couple of months. There used to be a lot more midweek games than there are now.

Oldsmobile-88

Memorable for me because I was in the loo & missed a rare Scott Hiley goal.More memorable after Danny Baileys goal because of the little dance he did infront of the away terrace.

The next season it was a dreadful 2-5 loss at Moss Rose(3 down early on iirc) in front of a crowd of less than 900,which must be one of the lowest on record for a 3rd Division(L1)game

Grecian2K

Scott Hiley on 26 minutes and Danny Bailey late on.
Classy move from midfield to carve the question master's defence open there with a simple and accurate tap-in by SEA G - but Bleddy cheat Mr L - how on earth did you know the scorers??! ;) (btw Bailey's late clincher was 88 mins) - and bonus points for Olds for recalling the Danny dance!!! Plus the impressive bladder-memory after all these years. Kudos my old friend!
But, for the ultimate anorak points, who scored Chester's consolation?

I also recall that at least one car-load of Grecian invaders also spent the afternoon cruising around Chester itself, wondering where the game was? (Not me, I hasten to add)

PeteUSA

Maybe if Deano goes back to centre-half that will be the perfect opportunity to blood Sparkes alongside him.

"Blood Sparkes"? Please dont try to get that awful term off of the ground in football? Cant we stick with 'give Sparkes a chance' or something similar?

Colesman Ballz

"Blood Sparkes"? Please dont try to get that awful term off of the ground in football? Cant we stick with 'give Sparkes a chance' or something similar?
You are John Lennon and I claim my five quid !

ECFC89

Was i alone in thinking ,bringing on gary warren at the end on saturday, just seemed to cause confusion ?
I disagree funnily enough. Thought we looked absolutely fine in the closing moments. But that's opinions.