• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jay Stansfield

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
What age is Jay BTW?
He is 16 years old.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
When the Trust took over the stweardship of the club, we were £4.5m in debt and languishing in the conference. Over the next 16 years, we have reached our joint highest ever league position and have consistently over the last few years, made a push towards promotion from League Two. On this basis, I am not sure I fully support your view that we cannot move forward under Trust ownership.
Also major improvements at the training ground.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
When the Trust took over the stweardship of the club, we were £4.5m in debt and languishing in the conference. Over the next 16 years, we have reached our joint highest ever league position and have consistently over the last few years, made a push towards promotion from League Two. On this basis, I am not sure I fully support your view that we cannot move forward under Trust ownership.
Just that final push to get promoted and try to establish ourselves there is where we are falling short frustrates the hell out of me, But as a small club, We'd get promoted others take the best of the squad and then we try to rebuild in a higher league without financial resources, Not the best recipe. The C&F and Academy keeping producing players like Jay maybe one day we might be able to keep hold of them. Good luck to the lad, Hope he fills his potential

Dannyred

The trust has done a good job since taking over but can it take us to league one and further ? I don’t think it can financially so we remain a club relying on selling youth players for whatever we can get for them to be a comfortable league 2 club.

How hard do the trust work to get people to join the trust ?

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
The trust has done a good job since taking over but can it take us to league one and further ? I don’t think it can financially so we remain a club relying on selling youth players for whatever we can get for them to be a comfortable league 2 club.

How hard do the trust work to get people to join the trust ?
Start by separating the Trust from trust ownership.

I'm very critical of the Trust at times, but Trust ownership I have no qualms with. It has certainly given us identity and cemented, in the greater part, the sense of connection fans have with the club.

It's no good sniping from the side lines. If you think the trust should be operating in a different way you need to put a proposal forward and work to make it happen.

exeter-loyal

Good luck Jay hope it all works out for you.

Red Bill

No but I think If the club is to move forward we won’t under trust ownership.
Funny isn't it, that for someone who has so much criticism for just about everything the club and Trust do, whenever anyone challenges you to put forward your own ideas, you have nothing to say. You can't even explain in what way you think they are failing.
You demonstrate how little you understand about the business value of volunteering, not just the financial value of it, but what feeling volunteering generates amongst a customer base. The sense of belonging and ownership generated is something all businesses attempt to achieve. Sometimes known as emotional advertising, some studies rates it's importance above that of product satisfaction, and advertisers and businesses recognise it's business importance and benefits as one of the most valuable marketing assets.
Volunteering is about more than the money it saves, although this is in itself considerable, so Exeter City using volunteers and engaging it's supporters is not the sign of a tinpot organisation, it's the sign of some very savvy business practice.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bill you forget that you are dealing with a marketing whizz (in his own mind) that can sort out all that is wrong with the club from womens football which will attract Donald Trumpesque thousands to SJP, to huge contacts in the local business world ready to invest in the club (although where they were when we needed them most I don't know), however when challenged is unable to come up with actuals of what he has done to improve the club despite his knowledge and contacts except to bleat and criticize on here.

Stelios

In hindsight we should have named the Stagecoach the Tony Kellow stand. And the sooner we get the number 9 shirt back in action the better. Time to move on.

Onwards and upwards

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
All this talk of peanuts should perhaps be kept in perspective. A low 6 figure sum for a 16-year-old who was nowhere near our first team is still a pretty decent sum of money. Jay is also the first player in a while to leave before playing for the first team and there are extenuating circumstances; hopefully most of our other youngsters will stick around a bit longer so we can get a bit more compensation. It's also worth noting that we now have, I think, 4 players who've moved on in the last few seasons with sell-on clauses so surely the odds are that at least one of them will pay off in the next few years.

As an aside a real point of difference between Matt Taylor and his predecessor is his willingness to sign players who haven't quite made the grade at bigger clubs but who are still young enough to have a reasonable chance to be sold on for a profit. Again hopefully the odds are that at least one of Ward, Williams or Smerdon will make us some decent money at some point.