• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jay Stansfield

SimonBB

The Trust structure and the desire to live within our means has given us the most profitable L2 club in the country, with a sustainable long term future. In what world is that not a huge positive??
Not only this but we’ve had Williams sign for us knowing how good we are at developing young players.
We’ve had first team appearances from several youth players helping us stay at the right end of league 2 for the past few years.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It is disappointing when we see young players we have developed go before we see them in the first team and for figures below we want. It is however a massive over reaction to say the youth scheme is a waste of time and money. We might have lost some players for money under that which we value them (Amps, Goss, Stansfield), but why should we then deny ourselves the potential of players like Friend, Moxey, Seabourne, Grimes, Watkins, Pym, JMT, Bennett, Storey etc who have all contributed excellent service and in some cases very helpful money when moving on.

We currently have more players in the first team squad such as Collins, Sparkes and Seymour with others queuing up to join them. The academy is central to any clubs identity and the football authorities need to recognise this.

Dannyred

The Trust structure and the desire to live within our means has given us the most profitable L2 club in the country, with a sustainable long term future. In what world is that not a huge positive??
The trust structure will never be able to move the club forward enough to make us a championship team that young players will stay.

iscalad

The trust structure will never be able to move the club forward enough to make us a championship team that young players will stay.
Thanks for your positivity. What would you suggest? Sell to the highest bidder?

Rosencrantz

No structure in football currently makes young players stay at a club when a bigger/higher club comes in for them. Also, even having all the success and money going has not kept Jaden Sancho at Man City. I don't think they will scrap their youth system and deny themselves any more potential Phil Foden's off the back of it though.

Last edited:

iscalad

No structure in football currently makes young players stay at a club when a bigger/higher club comes in for them. Also, even having all the success and money going has not kept Jaden Sancho at Man City. I don't think they will scrap their youth system and deny themselves any more potential Phil Foden's off the back of it though.
Didn't Man City recently sign players from Man Utd Academy?

Dannyred

Thanks for your positivity. What would you suggest? Sell to the highest bidder?
No but I think If the club is to move forward we won’t under trust ownership.

Rosencrantz

Didn't Man City recently sign players from Man Utd Academy?
To be honest I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised as there is more movement now at academy level than before. EPPP has made it easier for the big clubs to sign from each other as well as smaller academies. Also we kind of do it ourselves as Storey did not come through our academy but was signed on scholarship forms when he was 16 from a non league set up (Chard?). Moving between premier league teams shows no one is immune under the current system.

Ashford Grecian

What age is Jay BTW?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
No but I think If the club is to move forward we won’t under trust ownership.
When the Trust took over the stweardship of the club, we were £4.5m in debt and languishing in the conference. Over the next 16 years, we have reached our joint highest ever league position and have consistently over the last few years, made a push towards promotion from League Two. On this basis, I am not sure I fully support your view that we cannot move forward under Trust ownership.