• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Revision to infraction points and ban rules perhaps?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
With the re-introduction of the Development Forum, could I politely suggest a fairer way in which infraction points, and ultimately bans are issued to members.

The present rule is 'three strikes and you're out', meaning if you get banned on three seperate occasions you got the dreaded exeweb life ban; which I assume is for the rest of a members natural life? If a life ban is arrived at because of violent conduct, threatening behavior or gross vulgarity, then obviously that cant be condoned and a member quite rightly should be banned for good. I do think though that that penalty is excessive when previous infraction points and bans for considerably lesser reasons are brought into play when a whole life ban is arrived at. A lot of good former members have been lost because of what this totting up procedure arrives at.

Could I respecfully suggest that when a third and final ban is arrived at that the member in question is banned for one whole season i.e. that the ban includes the beginning and the end of the season after the one in which this situation arrises? If this situation arose at this present time, it would mean the member would be banned for the whole of the upcoming 2019-20 season. I think a ban like that would be far more fair than the existing 'rest of your life' rule.

Some might say that I'm thinking of myself with this proposal, since I'm in the position of having had two bans since the existing regime entered office. Thats not the case anymore. At my age I cant worry about it. I know I'm not the flavour of the month with one or two mods, but I cant change that. In the past I've been easily lead by reacting and making comments which brought infraction points. Thats all in the past though. I can only do my best to avoid being baited.

In the meantime, I would like the powers that be to at least consider my proposal.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This forum hasn't been away.

The mods have had a brief discussion yesterday evening on this subject. What do Exewebbers think?

Antony Moxey

Do what you like, it's your site. Personally I'm more fed up with posters continually asking for the rules to be relaxed, bans to be lifted and previously permanently banned posters allowed back. I reckon asking the same thing - and it being refused - three times should be a lifetime ban...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I remember on another forum the then owner (and sole moderator) of the site always gave the same advice to anyone wondering how they could avoid getting banned - "Don't be a ****".

Temporarily Exiled

Instead of severity of incidents, I'd pay more attention to the time between incidents. If a new member racks up 3 bannable offences in 6 months, that demonstrates that they just can't or won't go on for any duration of time without doing the same again.

However, if your first incident was five years ago and the second was four years ago, surely the four years of good behaviour between that last offence and present day should be taken into account.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of severity of incidents, I'd pay more attention to the time between incidents. If a new member racks up 3 bannable offences in 6 months, that demonstrates that they just can't or won't go on for any duration of time without doing the same again.

However, if your first incident was five years ago and the second was four years ago, surely the four years of good behaviour between that last offence and present day should be taken into account.
Not sure how it works yet in "New Exeweb", but in "Old Exeweb" there was a system in place whereby infraction points were time limited, so in order to be banned for an accumulation of offences they had to be within a short time frame.

Temporarily Exiled

Does the new forum allow for people to be banned from specific sections? The politics thread has been a bit of a graveyard, but could two offences there lead to a 1-year ban from that subforum?

IndoMike

With the re-introduction of the Development Forum, could I politely suggest a fairer way in which infraction points, and ultimately bans are issued to members.

The present rule is 'three strikes and you're out', meaning if you get banned on three seperate occasions you got the dreaded exeweb life ban; which I assume is for the rest of a members natural life? If a life ban is arrived at because of violent conduct, threatening behavior or gross vulgarity, then obviously that cant be condoned and a member quite rightly should be banned for good. I do think though that that penalty is excessive when previous infraction points and bans for considerably lesser reasons are brought into play when a whole life ban is arrived at. A lot of good former members have been lost because of what this totting up procedure arrives at.

Could I respecfully suggest that when a third and final ban is arrived at that the member in question is banned for one whole season i.e. that the ban includes the beginning and the end of the season after the one in which this situation arrises? If this situation arose at this present time, it would mean the member would be banned for the whole of the upcoming 2019-20 season. I think a ban like that would be far more fair than the existing 'rest of your life' rule.

Some might say that I'm thinking of myself with this proposal, since I'm in the position of having had two bans since the existing regime entered office. Thats not the case anymore. At my age I cant worry about it. I know I'm not the flavour of the month with one or two mods, but I cant change that. In the past I've been easily lead by reacting and making comments which brought infraction points. Thats all in the past though. I can only do my best to avoid being baited.

In the meantime, I would like the powers that be to at least consider my proposal.
Technical problem. Delete

IndoMike

Do what you like, it's your site. Personally I'm more fed up with posters continually asking for the rules to be relaxed, bans to be lifted and previously permanently banned posters allowed back. I reckon asking the same thing - and it being refused - three times should be a lifetime ban...
Hants asked for opinions, so people are opining.

LOG

I'm not a great fan of life bans but if you manage three temporary bans without learning a lesson you can't really complain.