• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So farewell them, Berwick Rangers!

David Treharne

Berwick finally bowed out of the Scottish league system with a whimper and a 7-0 aggregate defeat today. So the question can no longer be asked about which English Club plays in the Scottish League. It was always a friendly club, with a welcome for a few lunatic City supporters who from time to time visited them. They'll play in the Lowland League next year with a new Chair and hopefully a more successful team. I don't expect that they'll be the last long established Clubs in the lower Scottish leagues to be relegated over the next few seasons. Several other Exewebbers have considerable experience of visiting some dismal grounds where the welcome has often been better than the football. Cowdenbeath anyone?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I visited Cowdenbeath the home of ‘The Blue Brazil’ around 2007 for a league game against Elgin.
Central Park was pretty run down like the town itself & was better known for the stockcar racing that occurs at the ground.

Favourite Scottish ground is Cappilow,Grennock the home of Morton.A lovely old ground that has not changed for decades.

Grecian2K

Sad to see the demise of Berwick Rangers. Seemed to be on the up a few years back but hey ho. :(

Never been to a match there but seen their ground - it's just past the Welcome to England sign!

Agree with Olds about Greenock too. A fine old ground (with a lovely big grassy bank on the outside at one end from which, if you're on the tall side, you can see in for nothing.

Dumbarton is a nice ground too, as is Somerset Park in Ayr.

Oldsmobile-88

Somerset Park is a great tradition ground.The only time I have seen a brick chimney through a grandstand roof !
The time I visited for a game,it was unusual to see the large terrace opposite the grandstand was uncovered whilst a end was covered.

Trivia time.Somerset Park was the last senior ground in the UK to have floodlights(1969) because of the relatively near proximity to Prestwick Airport..The pylons are on the low side,for that reason.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Sad to see the demise of Berwick Rangers. Seemed to be on the up a few years back but hey ho. :(

Never been to a match there but seen their ground - it's just past the Welcome to England sign!
I saw Berwick play at East Stirlingshire for a midweek fixture in 2005.Iirc they won the league that season(3rd Division) & had a decent following for a midweek fixture(about 50 in a crowd of just under 200) it seemed strange seeing the Cross of St George flags hanging at the back of the one decrepit covered terrace.Those flags did pi55 off the locals :D
At Cowdenbeath a few seasons later,the overzealous Polis took the Berwick flags down because they were deemed provocative..:D

Oldsmobile-88

(with a lovely big grassy bank on the outside at one end from which, if you're on the tall side, you can see in for nothing.
That would be called the Aberdeen gate in Scotland..Residents of the granite city were known for their parsimonious ways !!