• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Trumpy threatening a 25 pc tariff on imports of EU cars..He's more ****ed off than usual this week.
He says "The World Trade Organization finds that the European Union subsidies to Airbus has adversely impacted the United States, which will now put Tariffs on $11 Billion of EU products! The EU has taken advantage of the U.S. on trade for many years. It will soon stop!"

Is he in the wrong here?

Grecian2K

The wretched May transformed thus:

"People of Britain. I have tried my best. I have negotiated the best deal possible to get us out of the EU in accordance with the heartfelt wishes you expressed in the 2016 Referendum. I have been back and forwards to Brussels God knows how many times and stood in Parliament for hours on end being abused from all sides.

"I've done this, not because I'm thick, or don't listen, or slightly unhinged but because I felt it was my duty, as your PM, to deliver Brexit for you.

"But I haven't managed to convince my colleagues in the ERG and the DUP that this is the right course of action. That's fine - they are entitled to have their say. But I don't see the point of prolonging this agony any longer by asking for an extension during which time we'll just keep going over the same old ground. Whatever I, or anyone else proposes, it will be voted down, so it seems utterly pointless to continue down this path.

So today I have written to Mr Juncker and revoked article 50. I shall resign with immediate effect and I will suggest to her majesty that David Liddington acts as caretaker prime minister. The Conservative Party can then elect a new leader and get back to governing the country and addressing the mountain of issues that our society faces.

So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Her legacy secured, as the woman who saved the country from itself
Sorry art but I fear that there is more chance of Huxtable giving a decision City's way than the above happening! ;)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
He says "The World Trade Organization finds that the European Union subsidies to Airbus has adversely impacted the United States, which will now put Tariffs on $11 Billion of EU products! The EU has taken advantage of the U.S. on trade for many years. It will soon stop!"

Is he in the wrong here?
Partially. He is right that the subsidies were illegal, he is wrong to unilaterally announce tariffs. Any countermeasures will be set at a level decided by the WTO. He's now left himself open to harsher retaliatory countermeasures from the EU. Plus of course he's conveniently forgetting that less than 2 weeks ago the WTO have found the US has illegally subsidised Boeing...

arthur

Sorry art but I fear that there is more chance of Huxtable giving a decision City's way than the above happening! ;)
But wouldn't she enjoy it hugely? Feck you, you bunch of canutes, I'm off.

Alistair20000

But wouldn't she enjoy it hugely? Feck you, you bunch of canutes, I'm off.
Not sure Teaser does humour/funny/enjoyment Art.

dontpassback

Not sure teaser does anything !!!

Terryhall

Is he in the wrong here?
Boeing is screwed because of the 737 max fiasco. Trump is using his position to hold back the competition whilst Boeing clean up their mess.

Yes, he is in the wrong.

Terryhall

I doubt it - it's a case of whether it's he or the party that voters vote for. Until he became a bit of a lunatic EU-wise, he was no doubt a very popular figure within the party.

His constituency was 51-49 in favour of Remain, so he would need a substantial personal vote to carry the constituency as an independent. I don't think he has this (at least not to the extent that he'd win without party backing). He has increased his vote share in every election but it's still below the peak achieved by his predecessor.
Any comment to make on the (at last count) 59 MPs whose constituents voted for Remain in the referendum, and who nonetheless continue to support some form of Leave? Should they also blindly follow the result of their constituency?

For the record I don't believe they should - all MPs are elected on a broad manifesto and on the principle that they will act and vote in the HOC in line with that manifesto AND what they believe to be the best interest of their constituents.

The UK is not a single issue country. MPs should not be selected or elected on single issue politics. I find it hard to beleive that any member of a party, much less one with ambitions to stand for election themself (as you once indicated on here) would see it differently?

IndoMike

She's done a pretty amusing impersonation of a PM for 2 years. Strong and stable was definitely a bit of a laugh/

IndoMike

Is he in the wrong here?
--------------------------------------------

Boeing and Airbus both receive special tax breaks that the WTO has ruled amount to unfair and prohibited government subsidies.

The two have been fighting it out at the WTO for over a decade…

2012 - U.S. and EU claim victory in Boeing subsidy case

The WTO's appellate body said Boeing received between $3 billion and $4 billion in U.S. subsidies…

By contrast, the WTO said in December that Airbus received $18 billion in subsidies from European governments.

2017 - Boeing claims victory in Airbus dispute

Airbus accused Boeing of receiving a new subsidy as a tax break from the state of Washington, but the the WTO disagreed that this particular tax break counted as a subsidy.

Status
Not open for further replies.