• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ahhh see what you tried to do there Mike ! Did I ever say I don't want migrants here that are prepared to actually contribute to the wellbeing of the country ?

That'll be a no then , What I said was I don't want my health and the future of my children's possible future healthcare to be watered down by the NHS because of health migrants.
There are practises all over this land that admit they are flooded by the influx of migrants and having to stay open later and weekends just to try and keep up with demand.
I repost Spanky's link regarding "health tourism" especially for you, Ramone. You might well have been a victim of the scaremongering perpetuated by our Eton schoolboy politicians who can't stand those bleddy foreigners. https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2536

Last edited:

IndoMike

To be fair Rae, that isn't actually a benefit. There's nothing wrong with it, of course, but an immigrant is an immigrant is an immigrant.

I struggle to see anything that potentially splits up my family as a benefit though.
To coin the cliche, you already know that immigration seldom takes into consideration individual cases. You are merely a statistic

My wife recently spent a week or so in hospital. As far as I could tell, all of the other patients were British born people of various ages. However, a lot, I mean 80% or so, of the nurses, HCAs, doctors, surgeons etc were foreign-born, and in the vast main, doing an excellent job. This was in Somerset, not in a metropolitan area.

Make of that what you will in terms of the balance between giving and taking for the Health Service and immigration.

StroudGrecian

So let's have a Leave petition and Level march to see how the support is.
You mean this one Mike? Support is about 200.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
So you're referring to illegal immigrants? Because for example if I could take my wife back to the UK as a legal immigrant we would have to pay a considerable "deposit" to start to cover for any future treatment - I'm not sure what would happen to that money if she got a job and paid N.I contributions.
If you're talking about legal EU immigrants coming to the UK just for health treatment and not to work then I need to try to find statistics for that.
Fair play for you to marry someone not of this country and stay there for whatever reason but how many times do you read or hear of people who get married bring their partner here only for that person to vanish / divorce not long after gaining a passport and go on to bring their real entire family into this country because they now are entitled to do so.

There are no government figures to tell us exactly how many illegals are here but given once they are caught by immigration they are given documentation to enable them to gain housing AND healthcare your argument and those figures quoted by the BMJ are null and void as that person then has the relevant documentation to gain healthcare as they are made eligible.
You show the man in the street that the government are actively doing something about immigration into this country and a lot of the argument would vanish overnight , Instead once an illegal immigrant is found they are given a bit of paper and told to report to the local plod once a week only to walk outside the cop shop rip the paper up and vanish once again until caught next time for the whole cycle to begin again.
F*** me our lacklustre government were even paying for them to return home at one stage (5k each person) only for them to get off the plane deposit the money and start the return trip !
Show people illegal immigrants will be deported right away and people like the EDL will lose 90% of their arguments. But no it will never happen because you'll be infringing their rights and there will be thousands of left wing types to walk the streets weeping for them.

Grecian2K

Sorry Moany but your last rant is probably one of the most vile things I've ever seen on here (especially the foul first paragraph). Pushes the boundaries of xenophobia dangerously close to outright racism. :(

Having said that though, as a democrat I respect your right to be (mis)informed by the likes of the Daily Heil. The Torygraph and (most embarrassing of all) the "Hackaway Sun".

Just as I hope (though, sadly, doubt) you will afford equal due to those of us who might question your own myopic views of the world. And have the audacity to subscribe to The Guardian ;)

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
To be fair Rae, that isn't actually a benefit. There's nothing wrong with it, of course, but an immigrant is an immigrant is an immigrant.
I struggle to see anything that potentially splits up my family as a benefit though.
Immigration is always both welcome and a necessity. That's a given and, anybody thinking otherwise, needs their head testing. However, it would be nice to get away from the Europeans first policy (let's be honest, it is a tad racist). I just happen to be a lifelong supporter of diversity.

DB9

Sorry but I don't hear on a regular basis people marrying for convenience, I really don't and I do read a wide range of news outlets. Please don't let this Brexit argument go down to the level of the gutter, I'm sure you're better than that

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Immigration is always both welcome and a necessity. That's a given and, anybody thinking otherwise, needs their head testing. However, it would be nice to get away from the Europeans first policy (let's be honest, it is a tad racist). I just happen to be a lifelong supporter of diversity.
Sorry Rae, you can argue many reasons to leave the EU, but that isn't one of them. Are we racist in favouring the Irish in the with the common travel area?

I'm definitely not going to argue with you about diversity though. A book from which we will most certainly be on exactly the same page.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair play for you to marry someone not of this country and stay there for whatever reason but how many times do you read or hear of people who get married bring their partner here only for that person to vanish / divorce not long after gaining a passport and go on to bring their real entire family into this country because they now are entitled to do so.

There are no government figures to tell us exactly how many illegals are here but given once they are caught by immigration they are given documentation to enable them to gain housing AND healthcare your argument and those figures quoted by the BMJ are null and void as that person then has the relevant documentation to gain healthcare as they are made eligible.
You show the man in the street that the government are actively doing something about immigration into this country and a lot of the argument would vanish overnight , Instead once an illegal immigrant is found they are given a bit of paper and told to report to the local plod once a week only to walk outside the cop shop rip the paper up and vanish once again until caught next time for the whole cycle to begin again.
F*** me our lacklustre government were even paying for them to return home at one stage (5k each person) only for them to get off the plane deposit the money and start the return trip !
Show people illegal immigrants will be deported right away and people like the EDL will lose 90% of their arguments. But no it will never happen because you'll be infringing their rights and there will be thousands of left wing types to walk the streets weeping for them.
Leaving aside the Daily Mail nonsense of your rhetoric, you do realise that illegal immigrants are not from the EU don't you? Leaving the EU will do nothing to stop them (if indeed, they existed in the numbers the Mail would have us believe).

Status
Not open for further replies.