• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jonathan Forte ?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have not seen JF many times and stand ready to be educated by the masses. On Saturday he didn't get on the end of many headers or show a lot of physical presence, whereas Bowman immediately provided that in his few minutes of action. Is JF just short on confidence or do others agree that he needs to do more to lead the line ?
He's has a reasonable physical presence but will never use it. He's one of those players who will 'challenge' for a 50/50 without ever really wholeheartedly attempting to win the ball. He's happy to make it look like he's challenging but will happily step behind the defender first.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
He holds the ball up well enough if played into his feet and his movement is excellent if the ball is played forward quickly enough down the channels.

A goal would help his confidence but at the moment he's our best option up front.
His movement isn't excellent. He's quick to latch on to a through ball but that's not the same thing at all - it's just raw pace. Jamie Cureton had excellent movement, Forte does not.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forte was outstanding on Saturday.

Strange to create a thread like this after one of his best performances of the season.
No, no he wasn't. He was slightly better than the week before, but a) MK were terrible terrible and b) he could hardly have been worse than the week before.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Effort is admirable but it needs to be directed in the right way. It would be great to have a combination - like Banks and Curtis, or Kellow and Beer, or Neville and Rowbotham..I think if our midfield was only the standard of our attack we'd be in trouble. It's our midfield (and solid central defense) which is doing it for us. I fear Bowman and Forte will be no great shakes, with respect to Bowman who hasn't been played much recently.

iscalad

No, no he wasn't. He was slightly better than the week before, but a) MK were terrible terrible and b) he could hardly have been worse than the week before.
Ah, I wondered how we managed to win the game. For one moment I thought it was we played better than a reasonably good team. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. :)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forte was key to our pressing game on Saturday, his work rate can sometimes be questioned however it was top notch on Saturday, he won't score the goals Stockley did however he offers far more mobility, he also helped create our opening goal on Saturday.

It's all about opinions on performances however I stand by my outstanding comment. Other than goals I'm not sure what more he could have done.

If (and it's a very big if) he puts in performances like that on a regular basis between now and the end of the season I think it gives us a good chance of being successful as a team.

Last edited:
He's has a reasonable physical presence but will never use it. He's one of those players who will 'challenge' for a 50/50 without ever really wholeheartedly attempting to win the ball. He's happy to make it look like he's challenging but will happily step behind the defender first.
I'd agree with all this, especially his 'wholeheartness' for a 50/50. This is particularly true in aerial clashes as he doesn't appear to be able to get himself off the ground for the challenge IMO. However I though he did a pretty decent job last week as a 'run around' front man and he set the tone for the rest of the team in hassling and shutting down MKD which led to several of their defensive mistakes.

arthur

, whereas Bowman immediately provided that in his few minutes of action.
If you're looking to be underwhelmed by someone, I think Bowman is a more obvious choice

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
For a pacy classic number 9 type of player his lack of clinical fox-in-the-box poaching is a bit concerning.

He had a great game this week and if he plays like that all the time I will have no complaints. He needs to start putting the ball in the onion bag more regularly though.
Name the pacy clinical fox in the box strikers playing in league 2 ?

The vast majority of quick lower league players have very inconsistent end product, many playing in the Premier league also suffer from this.

If you are very quick with consistently good end product you aren't playing in league two.

Forte offers us something we have rarely had during the last 5 - 10 years, pace and the ability to get in behind defences, I'll take the positives from his game and accept some of the negatives, all I want from him is the effort he put last Saturday on a regular basis, if he does that he will more than do for me.

Last edited:

elginCity

The standing ovation after being subbed v MKD was good for his confidence, he really felt the love and it was palpable.

Jonathan could be key for the run in.