• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pitch

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Please dont mention "all weather" Mr Ballz. Tisdale will be wanting one of them next! Incidently, was the main pitch at the C&F converted to all weather eventually? I've lost track of that. :(
He’s got one at the C&F, and is a completely new pitch. The main pitch is still the main pitch and is still grass as it always was.

Antony Moxey

Does that indicate overuse of the sprinklers week in week out ? ;)
No, unless they’re used in times of heavy rainfall when the system is already at capacity.

PeteUSA

He’s got one at the C&F, and is a completely new pitch. The main pitch is still the main pitch and is still grass as it always was.
Ah the main pitch; the pitch I used to referee St Lukes College home games on back in the 70's. I also remember running the line for a 'friendly' there between City and Argyle. Roger Spray was the referee. It was when Malcolm Allison was boss at HP. He gave referee Rog quite a bit of stick! He could get a bit nasty on occasion!

Andy Holloway

Ah the main pitch; the pitch I used to referee St Lukes College home games on back in the 70's. I also remember running the line for a 'friendly' there between City and Argyle. Roger Spray was the referee. It was when Malcolm Allison was boss at HP. He gave referee Rog quite a bit of stick! He could get a bit nasty on occasion!
That pitch went several years ago when both the C & F pitch and the SJP pitch were re-laid so as to be identical in all aspects.

PeteUSA

That pitch went several years ago when both the C & F pitch and the SJP pitch were re-laid so as to be identical in all aspects.
I was quite surprised to learn earlier that the C&F pitch was relayed. When St Lukes played on the original, it always seemed pretty good, I assume because Cliff Hills original farmland drained well.

Andy Holloway

I was quite surprised to learn earlier that the C&F pitch was relayed. When St Lukes played on the original, it always seemed pretty good, I assume because Cliff Hills original farmland drained well.
It was PT who wanted a mirror pitch of SJP at C & F. Not all the C&F drains well, the bottom corner near the C&F pub, where the artificial pitch is used to be like a swamp, this was sorted by relaying better drainage when the new artificial pitch was laid.

PeteUSA

Thanks for that Andy. Useful info.

Red Devon

would it be worth setting aside half a mil (or whatever it costs within reason - apparently the Chiefs' pitch cost over a million) to get it done properly once and for all?
I hope not especially if it’s going to be that awful sand base drainage again.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

That’s why I said properly.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Bit of grass & mud in reality - good teams adapt to the conditions on the day and change tactics or styles accordingly.

Pretty simple ain't it.