• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Cambridge Official match day thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at the 360 review, that penalty was a tough call against Cambridge. Their defender appears to be taking a fair old shoving as the ball was coming over. He raises both arms to alert the ref as to whats going on, and is unlucky that the cross ball struck his hand! And he loses out on any debate!
Now, that brought a smile on a damp Monday morning. :)

PeteUSA

Now, that brought a smile on a damp Monday morning. :)
I spent all weekend trying to find something! ;)

Antony Moxey

Looking at the 360 review, that penalty was a tough call against Cambridge. Their defender appears to be taking a fair old shoving as the ball was coming over. He raises both arms to alert the ref as to whats going on, and is unlucky that the cross ball struck his hand! And he loses out on any debate!
Of course it was a tough call because it went in our favour. If it had been at the other end you'd have been wondering what our defender was doing waving his arms in the air, why he didn't wait until after the challenge to try to alert the referee and why he wasn't strong enough to be able to withstand the 'shove' in the first place. I suspect as an afterthought you'd also be castigating Pym for not holding on to the penalty and letting their attacker score the rebound.

PeteUSA

I'm ignoring that Moxey. Any response might be construed as an insult with unwanted action against me. I'm surprised at the severity of your screed though. Obviously the winky smiley thing doesn't mean anything to you.

andrew p long

gosh - a starting eleven on the first day of the season entirely composed from players who were with us at the end of last season. Is this a record?

And I think that applies to 17 out of the 18 in the line up including subs. This after we've lost four players to higher placed clubs.

malcolms

Because he is invariably shorter than the man he is up against, I think that Wheeler gets away with murder when he challenges in the air. People feel he is good in the air and he does win a lot of challenges, but if you consider his arms are always on the opponents shoulders, you begin to get an idea why...I don't blame him in any way, however, you can understand why defenders would get upset when decisions go against them.

Leads

Judging by the highlights, that's a very soft penalty. Did it look different in the flesh?

PeteUSA

The defender was being held down by a pair of arms, which were used to gain height. Also the defender had no idea the ball was going to come down on his hand or upper arm, and from the referees vantage point he should have seen that it was totally ball to hand.

malcolms

The defender was being held down by a pair of arms, which were used to gain height. Also the defender had no idea the ball was going to come down on his hand or upper arm, and from the referees vantage point he should have seen that it was totally ball to hand.
But it's a penalty 95% of the time unless the referee actually judges that Wheeler was all over him, which of course he was.... Not Wheeler's fault, good for him for getting away with it.

grecIAN Harris

Exemplified by a poster who wrote off an Exeter City forward who went on to play in the Premier League. Sigh.
You can sigh all you like. Can you seriously justify writing off somebody of the class of a fit Lee Holmes in our squad? Of course you can't and any attempt to do so is just crass stupidity.