• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Cambridge Official match day thread

contrabombarde

Does anyone know if the radio commentary came from the o.g. Press box today, or have they moved across to the other stand?
Must have been the OG as I'm sure they said that we were playing from right to left towards the Big Bank in the second half.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
A midfield trio of James, Taylor and Tillson certainly isn't going to set league two alight, I'd like to see Harley in for James.

I don't want a season of Harley filling in on the left hand side, he's totally wasted there.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Liam McAlinden looked a real threat today, he looks to be quicker, stronger and more confident, I wouldn't have taken him off.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
This thread is dead, first game of the season and hardly any posts for 2 - 3 hours, either Exeweb is on it's last legs or far fewer people give a toss about ECFC.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
A midfield trio of James, Taylor and Tillson certainly isn't going to set league two alight, I'd like to see Harley in for James.

I don't want a season of Harley filling in on the left hand side, he's totally wasted there.
Harley contributed very little today TPC.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree, he isn't a left midfielder though.

He hasn't contributed anything close to what he is capable of for quite some time, he needs to play centrally.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A promising start to the season and first half particularly the first 30 minutes we bossed the game and should have been three nil up with David Wheeler's header across goal hitting the far post and Lloyd James firing over at the end of a three man passing move when unmarked in the area and with only the goalie to beat. Reuben Reid's penalty was a poor one but the goalie failed to hold on to the ball and Reuben reacted very quickly to follow up and fire home before he could recover.

The three up front looked a threat with Liam McAlinden in particular chasing and working hard interchanging positions with Wheeler. The defence not withstanding Christy Pym's air kick error on the edge of his penalty area leaving a Cambridge forward with the chance, all be it from a difficult angle and a position to the far right of the area, to direct a shot towards the goal which Christy running back managed to reach and scoop around the post for a corner, worked well as unit.

Pierce Sweeney throughly deserved his MOM award and Craig Woodman started as he finished last season. Although Troy Brown was caught on a couple of occasions, each time being helped out of trouble by Sweeney, both he and Jordan Moore Taylor did well against the two large units playing up front for Cambridge and if we are going to have a successful season it is of paramount importance that both stay injury free.

James despite his miss had a solid game as did both Jake Taylor and Jordan Tilson without making any headlines. I was not entirely in agreement with Tisdale's first substitution. McAlinden was still causing their defence problems was not injured and had not shown any evidence of running out of steam.

Ryan Harley's introduction added nothing to the team and apart from one shot towards the end of the game did little of note. As others have said, unless it was because he was not 100% fit, Holmes would have been a far better choice.

Reid being replaced by Ryan Brunt was understandable and we did not see enough of him to make a valid judgment as to what he may or may not offer to the team. He is definitely a big lad certainly not a typical Tisdale signing (at least not in stature) but to my mind at first sight not the most mobile of players.

Great to start the new season with a home win and a clean sheet but Cambridge although being quite a nasty and niggly team, who the referee allowed to get away with at least three counts of GBH against Wheeler, missed a number of gilt edged chances which had they converted them could easily have resulted in a different outcome.

chunkymorrinmunter

I agree, he isn't a left midfielder though.

He hasn't contributed anything close to what he is capable of for quite some time, he needs to play centrally.
I thought that he didn't look interested at all,poor.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought our midfield three look too workman like for a home game. It needed Harley's guile on the ball. So Tis brings him on for McAlinden, who was carrying a threat every time he got the ball, goes to four in midfield and dumps him out wide on the left. Pretty pointless as it nulified Harley's capabilities to start with and to play somebody out there to carry a threat he would have been better putting Holmes on. I would have liked to have seen Harley come on for Tillson and the midfield three maintained. McAlinden would have had a field day with the sort of supply you'd expect Harley to provide him with.
On another note, does anybody know if Wheeler has been put back together yet after the Cambridge back four took turns in kicking lumps out him? It seemed that they took to the idea of, we can't beat him the air so we'll take his ankles/lower legs out to make sure he can't jump in the first place.

rp42

I thought that he didn't look interested at all,poor.
Agree with this and has offered nothing for the past two seasons,time to get rid.