• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Cambridge Official match day thread

Thats harsh. A couple of wayward clearances, one of which went halfway back the OG. He had a reasonable game, and his timing off his line for through balls to forwards was excellent. Get your torso across the likely path of a shot and you'll block it every time. Two excellent examples late on.

I'm going to have to go for a lie down after reading that (worry)

Jammers20

Pleased to have got the 3 points today. Cambridge are a decent side who should go well this year,
What I took from today was:
Pym's distribution is woeful.. pleased his mistake didn't cost a goal. I'm sure he will get better with more games.
Good clean sheet. actually look very strong at the back. Hope to god we don't pick up any injuries though
I like the trio of Tilson, James and Taylor. it works well together, held it's own against a good Cambridge midfield, Their #8 Luke Berry is class.
Up front we look very good. Wheeler was kicked off the park (expect to see this a lot now he's targeted as our strongest player) Reid looked really fit and sharp, held the ball up really well. McAlinden will link brilliant in that 3 up front. has decent pace. Hope he has a good season.

We looked much weaker when Harley came on. he doesn't chase the ball and won't close down, has to be a connection between him coming on and Cambridge pinning us in our own half the last 20 minutes.
Very good team performance, glad to have 3 points. Roll on Tuesday

Red Bill

Just got home and very pleased with the day out. We played very well first half and still have a very potent a tack without Watkins. Defended superbly throughout the match. I thought Cambridge were very one dimensional in the first half and seemed to have one plan to keep getting crosses in to Iberre and as Brown and JMT Marshalled him very well, I didn't think they really looked much of a threat. I was worried we were going to rue our missed chances particularly as they continued at the start of the second half.

I thought once they replaced Iberre with that big No 9 and started to keep the ball on the deck, Cambridge looked a lot more threatening, I doubt we will play many more physical sides this year, and after the hour mark it looked to be taking its toll as we seemed to get much slower to the ball than we had been resulting in us struggling to get out of our half in the last 15 mins or so. But despite their physicality and pressure we continued to show great determination with our defending and got our rewards for the hard work with the winew and clean sheet. As others have said Harley coming on gave us nothing, please Tisdale, Ryan Harley is NOT a winger and offers nothing when played out there, particularly when penned in to the touchline by a very combative side! We did get deeper and deeper after he came on and can't help thinking Holmes would have posed them more of a problem and eased the pressure on us at the back and made it a far less nervey finish.

All in all, lots of positives from today. Some very good individual performances, excellent commitment, determination and team spirit, great defending and very encouraging in attack. Still worried that we're a bit weak in midfield but we came through against the type of physical side that has so often brushed us aside in th past, and that for me is real progress, so we'll done to all for today!

Steve H

Red Bill, They didn't replace Ibehere... played him all game and added the no. 9 Ichpezu at HT

rp42

Well have to say if that is all the IP office stand can offer this season then don't bother may as well have 3 stands closed(facepalm)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Red Bill, They didn't replace Ibehere... played him all game and added the no. 9 Ichpezu at HT
Positionally it was a change with the number 9 becoming central.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Thought that was a good three points today. Think we deserved it overall for a very committed defensive display and we created a number of good chances but need to be better in front of goal. Reid mcalinden and wheeler all impressed me going forwards with the general play, and while brunt seemed to get caught offside most of the time I can see promise once he gets his match fitness.

In midfield there was plenty of commitment and energy, and the defence worked really hard. We dropped very deep as the second half wore on but managed to grind out the win despite that. Pym saved himself from a big error in the first half and some of his kicking was poor but he was positive and a clean sheet is always good. Think Cambridge will do pretty well in the division so pleased to come out on top after losing twice last season.

A pretty good atmosphere, certainly could only hear positive things from the heart of the bank. Although it will look strange once the o.g is knocked down I don't think the atmosphere will suffer. Having everyone closer together could help, and if we perform like today regularly no reason we can't do well at home. The test will come if we have a home game where we fall behind. Early days but I am cautiously positive, Moxey still to come and hopefully another right back even if it's only a loan.

Hope we can win on Tuesday, won't be easy but not an impossible task.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have big question marks against Sweeney as a right back however he did as well as he could have today, I still think he will get ripped to pieces by a decent left winger with pace though.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Does anyone know if the radio commentary came from the o.g. Press box today, or have they moved across to the other stand?