• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The next 1931 player?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, from the pics of our training session, you can see that Sweeney is wearing the number 2 on his training top, so presumably we're going to be going for a new 1931 funded player this season?

What type of experience should we be going for? Last season Sweeney came in as an inexperienced player but the previous two (Grant and Cummins) have been experienced players. What would everyone's preference be?

Personally I'd be keen for us to go for another young player released from a Championship club and hope they develop nicely. Fwiw, I think Sweeney has been largely decent.

Angus

Maybe put this fund towards Ampadu and give him a pay rise in hope he stays.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe put this fund towards Ampadu and give him a pay rise in hope he stays.
Why wouldnt he stay? He's at a club that lets him go to school whenever the need arrises, and he plays the odd game for us if his ongoing studies dont get affected. Not the sort of agreement that he would broker at many other clubs I wouldnt have thought. I think its far too early yet to be thinking about bigging him up as our next youngster who'll be bringing major money in.

Antony Moxey

It doesn't let him go to school 'whenever the need arises', he's AT school full time because he isn't of school leaving age. If anything it would be the other way round (if indeed it happens at all) in that he's at a school that lets him play football whenever the need arises.

PeteUSA

It doesn't let him go to school 'whenever the need arises', he's AT school full time because he isn't of school leaving age. If anything it would be the other way round (if indeed it happens at all) in that he's at a school that lets him play football whenever the need arises.
Okay, lets go with your take on his circumstances. The same applies re: the original comment from Angus. I dont think Ampadu is in a position where money needs to be applied to a situation where he needs "a payrise in the hope he stays".

Red Bill

Pretty sure it is as AM suggested, i.e. we had to get his head master''s permission to play him last season. However he now has left school (or the compulsory part anyway) and would be free to sign contracts. I have heard from a few people that both he and Kwame are determined to ensure that City get some proper money for him when he leaves and that it's highly likely that he'll sign a contract with us. I wouldn't personally see the need based on that for 1931 money to be used to top up his wages, as all concerned appear to be very level headed on this issue and I don't think there'll be to much persuasion needed.

Terryhall

I had half thought someone like Swan might have been in the frame for the 31 shirt this season, but I get the impression he didn't stick around after his trial from January.

For my part, I'd prefer to fund a young player like Sweeney than the part-funding role we had for Grant / Cummins, but ultimately if Tis identified a target where he needed the 1931 budget to get it over the line, I'd suggest we ought to support that as we did before. (Especially if that target happens to be a right back.)

Bridgy 81

I reckon for this season’s 1931 player we could do a lot worse than offering Taunton Town a small fee (from our recent Alfie Pond and Ethan Ampadu windfalls) for Jay Foulston.
He’s a 21 year old defender, currently playing left wing back.
He got a great left foot and is brilliant at dead ball deliveries.
I’ve mentioned Jay on here before and that I’d messaged Marcus Flitcroft about him.
I got a nice reply back saying that the club were aware of him.
He wouldn’t be the finished article but I presume that’s the point of the 1931 concept.
If nothing else he would add to the collection of various Jays in our squad.

Rosencrantz

I reckon for this season’s 1931 player we could do a lot worse than offering Taunton Town a small fee (from our recent Alfie Pond and Ethan Ampadu windfalls) for Jay Foulston.
He’s a 21 year old defender, currently playing left wing back.
He got a great left foot and is brilliant at dead ball deliveries.
I’ve mentioned Jay on here before and that I’d messaged Marcus Flitcroft about him.
I got a nice reply back saying that the club were aware of him.
He wouldn’t be the finished article but I presume that’s the point of the 1931 concept.
If nothing else he would add to the collection of various Jays in our squad.
We would have to wait until January of course but certainly one to keep an eye on stepping up to the National League South this season. I have been impressed when I have seen him play as well.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We would have to wait until January of course but certainly one to keep an eye on stepping up to the National League South this season. I have been impressed when I have seen him play as well.
I think we can sign players from below the EFL.