• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale must go ...

Re: Tisdale must go

Good well laid out post Sexton. I certainly understand your suggestions regarding Citys consistancy. One big concern is this apparent mindset between Perryman and Tisdale where they've both suggested that we're currently playing at our natural level, and that mid table in League 2 should be acceptable. Perryman reiterated this only a few days ago while in the process of bigging up his mate. I'm of the firm belief that PT and SP, and probably JT dont want us to go up. They probably worry that too much money would be required to assemble a team anywhere near good enough for League 1. I doubt if anybody cares much about how we'd manage; we would worry about that if ever we got there.
Every manager should aspire to get his team promoted come what may over the course of the next season or season.
If we go up this year and then get relegated next season-so what?
We-the great unwashed-would have had the opportunity to see a different bunch of teams dropping down from the Championship and the players would surely also enjoy the challenge. Whether Tis and his acolytes see it that way is another matter!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster

Good well laid out post Sexton. I certainly understand your suggestions regarding Citys consistancy. One big concern is this apparent mindset between Perryman and Tisdale where they've both suggested that we're currently playing at our natural level, and that mid table in League 2 should be acceptable. Perryman reiterated this only a few days ago while in the process of bigging up his mate. I'm of the firm belief that PT and SP, and probably JT dont want us to go up. They probably worry that too much money would be required to assemble a team anywhere near good enough for League 1. I doubt if anybody cares much about how we'd manage; we would worry about that if ever we got there.
I think you're wrong: considering the three of them have already steered us to promotion to League One why on earth would you reason that they wouldn't want to do it again? It doesn't make any sense at all on any level - the financial benefits would outweigh the cost needed to assemble a decent squad, plus, if as is often suggested, it's all about the Academy, then funding for that also increases as you go up the leagues.

Finally, given our history, we ARE playing at our natural level - we've pretty much consistently been an average bottom division side since we formed so to find ourselves in that very position is nothing out of the ordinary. Of course no-one has said that that's where we belong and that we shouldn't have any ambition to better that, but people seem to only listen to what they want to hear, not what's actually being said.

eurogrecian

If we can win the semis, then I'd be inclined to keep Tisdale on board for the Final

Terryhall

I don't think anyone can argue that we have come a very long way in a relatively short space of time since November - 6 months on and we are in an excellent position with strong momentum and a lot of positive energy around the club and (what feels like) plenty of goodwill from the fans.

That said, taking the season as a whole, I do have to remind myself that our start was truly awful - and there may be very good reasons for that - but all the same, I would love next season (whether in L1 or L2) to show some more consistency and good home performances. Take nothing away from this season - making the playoffs is an incredible achievement and hopefully there will be more to come - and I think (?) we have broken our record for away wins this season with 13 (but I could be wrong about that) - but I hope that whatever division we are in, next season builds on the good work of the last 6 months, rather than slipping back to the slow start and poor early form of this campaign.

As long as Tisdale is putting out a good side and winning games, I can't see any reason for anyone to want him out. Here's hoping he is back to his pre-2011 best!

Antony Moxey

So, given his previous successes at the club and that it's now confirmed that we have secured a league play-off spot for the first time in our history, does this now mean that, despite our indifferent form at home for the last half a dozen seasons, Paul Tisdale is now without a doubt our greatest ever manager?

Terryhall

So, given his previous successes at the club and that it's now confirmed that we have secured a league play-off spot for the first time in our history, does this now mean that, despite our indifferent form at home for the last half a dozen seasons, Paul Tisdale is now without a doubt our greatest ever manager?
Certainly one of (if not the) most successful - would be fairly hard for anyone to argue otherwise.

Of course, there are also those who would argue we could have done better than we have done over the last few years in particular - and again, depending on how you define "done better", that would be pretty hard to argue with as well.

malcolms

The reality is that he has been manager long enough to have gone through periods when you could argue he has been our most successful and amongst our least successful. The Club Board have stuck with him and I think the players knew he wasn't going anywhere, so the normal dressing room discontent (losing the dressing room) when things weren't going well, didn't really apply. Whether we might have been consistently better or worse with a series of managers is a matter for discussion, but as there is no definitive answer its time wasted. We are in the playoffs and the manager should be rightly congratulated on that, all other matters are just forum fodder...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

The reality is that he has been manager long enough to have gone through periods when you could argue he has been our most successful and amongst our least successful. The Club Board have stuck with him and I think the players knew he wasn't going anywhere, so the normal dressing room discontent (losing the dressing room) when things weren't going well, didn't really apply. Whether we might have been consistently better or worse with a series of managers is a matter for discussion, but as there is no definitive answer its time wasted. We are in the playoffs and the manager should be rightly congratulated on that, all other matters are just forum fodder...
Our least successful? How many times have we finished in the bottom half in League Two since he's been here? Have you forgotten the late 90s / early 00s?

1994-95 Division Three 22nd
1995–96 Division Three 14th
1996–97 Division Three 22nd
1997–98 Division Three 15th
1998–99 Division Three 12th
1999-00 Division Three 21st
2000–01 Division Three 19th
2001–02 Division Three 16th

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Our least successful? How many times have we finished in the bottom half in League Two since he's been here? Have you forgotten the late 90s / early 00s?
Well, he's the only manager to have gained two promotions and could be on the brink of a third and is the only manager ever to reach the play offs and has achieved that three times so for that reason could be considered the most successful however in November we were heading for relegation and thus he'd have been the only manager in our history to be relegated twice so perhaps on that score could have been considered the least successful.

I'd hang my hat on the former though, despite my thoughts on our entertainment value.

Rog H K

If we can win the semis, then I'd be inclined to keep Tisdale on board for the Final
I'd go with that(smoke)