• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cathedral Green - Fire

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Shouldn't this be elsewhere - the fire as sad as it is is irrelevant to football.
You make a fair point, and I'm sure in time when all the fuss has died down it will be moved back to the Social Club, but this is something that currently, to my mind (and that seemingly of many on here) transcends Football and deserves its spot in the most active area of the forum for now at least.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
And very nice it is too, Rae.

Open plan. Hot and cold running water in every room......
............rooms!!!?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
You make a fair point, and I'm sure in time when all the fuss has died down it will be moved back to the Social Club, but this is something that currently, to my mind (and that seemingly of many on here) transcends Football and deserves its spot in the most active area of the forum for now at least.
Agreed this is why I asked the mods to have a rethink and return it WOWs....... it has been World wide news and it could so easily have spread into the High Street which could have resulted in the loss of the majority of the buildings on the Southern side of the Street......unimaginable really but if the fire had got a hold in the Laura Ashley and Costa buildings that is exactly what would have happened.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
............rooms!!!?
As I suggested Sexton, newly "open plan".

Nevertheless, a warm welcome is guaranteed to all.

Grecian2K

Joshing apart though, I agree totally Sexton.

The aerial shots after the devastation (and the clips of the firemen smashing through the plasterboard to catch the hidden fires) were, to me at least, the most astonishing, revealing what appears to be a mass cluster of "cottages" encased in a mostly modern external shell. No wonder the fire spread so subtly through those hidden internal alleyways.

I would guess the owners/leaseholders/insurers of the rest of what's left of "oldest Exeter" will be anxiously reassessing their building plans and risk assessments for the future.

As you say, the fire could have raged so much more rapidly through the heart of City. Ironic somewhat that what the Luftwaffe never quite managed even at their height might almost have been accomplished by what started as a "minor building fire".

Best thing though NOBODY KILLED -OR EVEN SUFFERED THE MOST MINOR OF INJURIES.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The evacuation of guests and staff is a magnificent achievement and something they can rightly be proud of.

Now, about the SJP tannoy system.......

LOG

What's going on at the Plaza then?

Alistair20000

Major fire at Riverside Leisure Centre.

Tim Long

At least I'm not in any of the photos looking ****ed off because I had to walk the long way round to get home.
Did see a lad being given oxygen, though. That was about 5.15 and there wasn't much sign of a fire. Lots of fire engines, police forming a cordon and a smell of smoke in Beaufort Road.

PeteUSA

Major fire at Riverside Leisure Centre.
Oh for Christs sake! Did this thread have to be put back in circulation because of a fire at the Plaza, or whatever its called now?