• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Typical E&E

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the point you're missing Stuffy is the relevance to City or the Chiefs with these headlines. If the person concerned is a current player then you attach the club into the headline but when it's a former player or, in the more recent cases where they've used City, it's been an ex-youth team player who hasn't even got close to the first team where is the need to attach the club. It's there to catch the eye and nothing more.
I understand where you're coming from Ian regarding the possibility of City reaping undeserved publicity when a former youth team player of little importance has his collar felt. However, whether we like it or not, isn't that the way it's always been? If you Google Adam Johnson it immediately shows a far wider audience that he too was a former youth team product from the Middlesbrough's academy. Man City also cops a mention even though Johnson began preying on his underage victim by signing a couple of Sunderland shirts.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The funny thing is that nowhere in his defence was it ever reported that he had any recent connections with ECFC!
Which is why, I'd assume, the article has been illustrated with a picture of Ingham playing for Willand Rovers and seeks to clarify that his involvement with City was historic. So, dare I ask, what, exactly, is your issue now?!

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Egg, I think what everyone is browned right off about is the Exeter City name being continuously used by the Echo to try and hype a story that has extremely tenuous links with the club. If you were unfortunate enough to find yourself in court after knocking down an elderly lady, would they headline "Echo Staff member guilty of knocking down 83 year old pensioner ". Personally I don't think they would use the link that you were a former employee of theirs that way. So why pick on City ?

I think those of us upset by the Echo's behaviour should put the cases to the Press Complaints Commission, and see what they think.

Fareham Grecian

I think those of us upset by the Echo's behaviour should put the cases to the Press Complaints Commission, and see what they think.
The PCC was abolished in 2014.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The PCC was abolished in 2014.
Well so it was FG. So we refer the complaint to the IPSO then !

Fareham Grecian

Well so it was FG. So we refer the complaint to the IPSO then !
:) And they will be just as much use - still run by the tabloid editors themselves. The press is effectively unregulated and the rubbish that the E&E prints is just representative of a bankrupt industry. I can understand why they use clickbait headlines but it doesn't make it alright.

Last edited:

Andy Holloway

Which is why, I'd assume, the article has been illustrated with a picture of Ingham playing for Willand Rovers and seeks to clarify that his involvement with City was historic. So, dare I ask, what, exactly, is your issue now?!
Same story but a different angle in a different paper. But the MDG version did not headline 'Willand Rovers player.....", so why did the E&E version mention City? Especially as it had been a fair few years since he played for ECFC and then only as a youth.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Struggling to find this story about a Chiefs player and a sexual assault on the E&E website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-39197905

chunkymorrinmunter

Struggling to find this story about a Chiefs player and a sexual assault on the E&E website

Strange, but we all know why ,it's the Chiefs.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

Dare I suggest you're not looking hard enough; it's been on the website for the past two days.

http://www.devonlive.com/chiefs-player-appears-in-court-charged-with-sexual-assault-in-exeter/story-30185674-detail/story.html

Here's another story – broken by the Echo, which went on to make the nationals – you may have missed:

http://www.devonlive.com/exeter-chiefs-player-issued-with-warning-after-urinating-on-shop-window-while-dressed-as-policeman/story-30099903-detail/story.html