• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The first gay footballer

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's only a matter of time before a player finds the courage to come out. How are we, as a set of fans, going to react to this ?

I am sure the club would say all the right things if asked but how about us ? What if it was an Exeter player ?

Or what if it was a Plymouth player ? Discuss.

Terryhall

The first gay footballer already did come out in the 80's, Justin Fashanu.

Also at least one openly gay non-league player (name escapes me) and an American lad who used to play for Leeds (again can't recall his name)

As well as lots who cam out post retirement (Hitzlsperger , example)

The correct response will be to think of them as a footballer, period.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Excuse my clumsy English.

There was a piece on Talksport during the night that got me thinking. No current or recent player has done this but it looks like it will happen sooner rather than later.

My question is about us as fans.

Not even an issue is it. Fans will give him stick no different to if he has long hair, overweight or any other thing that fans feel they can banter about.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not even an issue is it. Fans will give him stick no different to if he has long hair, overweight or any other thing that fans feel they can banter about.
Not sure about that. Fans don't generally give racist abuse any more, certainly not in numbers.

Is homophobia seen as being as disgusting as racism yet, do you think?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks to me as if the FA and EFL have a will to work towards an acceptance as they did with Kick it Out. I reckon that the first steps are being taken.

rp42

Don't want to posts names for legal reason's but i always thought our No7 was?

Not sure about that. Fans don't generally give racist abuse any more, certainly not in numbers.

Is homophobia seen as being as disgusting as racism yet, do you think?
All depends how far you go. You can still hear comments such as "get up you poof" and words such as "faggot" on the terraces.

What I am saying is that the types of people using these slurs are the type that will use it against anyone regardless of sexual orientation.

I dont think an openly gay player would get much more abuse than anyone else after the initial 'banter'.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Don't want to posts names for legal reason's but i always thought our No7 was?
That news might come as a surprise to his wife!

Last edited:

rp42

That might come as a surprise to his wife!
That's cleared that up for me Hants,i know nothing about him personally had a quick look on wiki but has no details about spouse.