• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

An existential crisis at our club

Red Bill

I hate to buck the trend here and It takes no great brain to work out that rubbish product equals less customers, but I don't actually have too much problem believing the figures for yesterday, 3200-3500 would have been my guess. Admittedly I stand in the middle of the bank where the crowd is thickest but there looked to be a reasonable number in the Cowshed and OG. Despite only drawing against Grimsby it was a much better performance than we'd seen so far this season and on the back of last weeks 4-1 at Barnet, plus it was nice weather, its not inconceivable that attendance would hold up. But lets face it 3500 isn't great anyway is it!

Gordon Dale

Event though it hurts I no longer attend matches at SJP purely and simply because I will not give any financial support to ECFC until the club is forced to become more transparent and Directors and Employees more accountable.

Having attended the AGM , which took place in an inappropriate venue for the numbers that should have been anticipated, and witnessed Mr Mason's so called Club Financial Report I ain't anticipating my return to SJP for the next year or two.

For an FD to come to the Trust AGM and not apparently to be aware of the Employment Costs for the year 2015/16 beggars belief. To mask such a figure in 'Cost of sales' conclusively demonstrates the nature of things. For Trust Members attending the AGM not to have been shown Full Accounts is totally unacceptable. Most of those present couldn't even see the single slide presented of the club's Abbreviated Accounts . Needless to say the FD was praised to the hilt by the Club Chairman. What a sham.

I gain absolutely no satisfaction from yesterday's anticipated debacle at the Park save to say I saved myself £20 and 'they' never got a penny ..well not from me and doubtless ....so it will continue.

So far this season I've saved myself £150 and more importantly I haven't had to share the grief and frustration of Tisdale's 'football' methodology and arrogance.

I hate to buck the trend here and It takes no great brain to work out that rubbish product equals less customers, but I don't actually have too much problem believing the figures for yesterday, 3200-3500 would have been my guess. Admittedly I stand in the middle of the bank where the crowd is thickest but there looked to be a reasonable number in the Cowshed and OG. Despite only drawing against Grimsby it was a much better performance than we'd seen so far this season and on the back of last weeks 4-1 at Barnet, plus it was nice weather, its not inconceivable that attendance would hold up. But lets face it 3500 isn't great anyway is it!
Way below last years average which was buoyed up by bumper figures v argyle and years yeovil and of course Liverpool, I suspect the end of season will show a substantial reduction in the average gate which is the clubs largest source of income

Event though it hurts I no longer attend matches at SJP purely and simply because I will not give any financial support to ECFC until the club is forced to become more transparent and Directors and Employees more accountable.

Having attended the AGM , which took place in an inappropriate venue for the numbers that should have been anticipated, and witnessed Mr Mason's so called Club Financial Report I ain't anticipating my return to SJP for the next year or two.

For an FD to come to the Trust AGM and not apparently to be aware of the Employment Costs for the year 2015/16 beggars belief. To mask such a figure in 'Cost of sales' conclusively demonstrates the nature of things. For Trust Members attending the AGM not to have been shown Full Accounts is totally unacceptable. Most of those present couldn't even see the single slide presented of the club's Abbreviated Accounts . Needless to say the FD was praised to the hilt by the Club Chairman. What a sham.

I gain absolutely no satisfaction from yesterday's anticipated debacle at the Park save to say I saved myself £20 and 'they' never got a penny ..well not from me and doubtless ....so it will continue.

So far this season I've saved myself £150 and more importantly I haven't had to share the grief and frustration of Tisdale's 'football' methodology and arrogance.
Unfortunately I was delayed in traffic so missed this - I must admit I had always thought of Keith Mason as an upstanding sort of chap , more importantly with a substantial reputation to protect. If he has allowed himself to be drawn into this sort of financial obfuscation shame on him

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
FWIW I think Keith Mason is a force for efficiency and general good in the controlling of the finances at the Club. I do not see him as part of the culture of cronyism at all.

O.K. he did not have the employment figures to hand and his calculation of a loss of £400k in June when little or no income is received seemed to me to be a tad heavy. He did promise to make available more detailed information in support of the raw figures shown on the slide yesterday and if past experience is any guide he will answer questions on the figures in an open way. I hope the Trust will arrange a Fan's Forum for this before Christmas which is open to all fans and just not Trust members.

I feel that the AGM is not the best forum for a detailed drilling down into the detail of the figures in view of the limited time.

For those who want more financial detail can I suggest they make a formal request that Trust Rule 99.2 is complied with in future. That Rule says someone from the accountants who prepare the accounts must attend the AGM to ask questions from Trustees and Members on the accounts. Again, the AGM is perhaps the wrong forum for this but while that is the Rule it will have to be dealt with that way. This is a matter that I will take up with David Treharne as he agrees that the format of the AGM needs a rethink.

dontpassback

The most annoying thing is that we own this bloody football club,and yet everyone seems subservient to tagg and no one seems to have the balls to change it! As others have said,we are going down fast but we have had a meeting with the manager 5 times !Again as others have said,you couldnt make this **** up.The only faint glimmer of hope is at least in non league the youngsters may get to play,because the players who got us relegated will have buggered off,and there wont be any money to sign anyone because we have spent it all on a 4g pitch and tisdales ridiculous contract(facepalm)

tonykellowfan

For me the biggest problem is that the club structure and Tisdale's contract means that nothing can actually be changed very easily.

This is like a business locked into a bad contract and everyone knows the business will fail as the contract cannot be avoided.

The result of this is that fans are turning their back on the club and new younger fans (who are the future) are not coming to watch the club.

FWIW I think Keith Mason is a force for efficiency and general good in the controlling of the finances at the Club. I do not see him as part of the culture of cronyism at all.

O.K. he did not have the employment figures to hand and his calculation of a loss of £400k in June when little or no income is received seemed to me to be a tad heavy. He did promise to make available more detailed information in support of the raw figures shown on the slide yesterday and if past experience is any guide he will answer questions on the figures in an open way. I hope the Trust will arrange a Fan's Forum for this before Christmas which is open to all fans and just not Trust members.

I feel that the AGM is not the best forum for a detailed drilling down into the detail of the figures in view of the limited time.

For those who want more financial detail can I suggest they make a formal request that Trust Rule 99.2 is complied with in future. That Rule says someone from the accountants who prepare the accounts must attend the AGM to ask questions from Trustees and Members on the accounts. Again, the AGM is perhaps the wrong forum for this but while that is the Rule it will have to be dealt with that way. This is a matter that I will take up with David Treharne as he agrees that the format of the AGM needs a rethink.
Agreed but as the employment figures must be the single cost category by a country mile one might have thought as an experienced FD this is one figure he'd have sat his fingertips. I would hazard a guess if this was a South West Highways shareholders meeting his grasp of core figures might have been a lot tighter.

It would be refreshing if he hadn't been got at by Tagg.

The problem is so much of what is meant to be club focussed activity seems to be used to prop up the beleaguered triumverate.

Another example was the whitewash Q&A set up in the E&E by Larkins - this had zero to do with promoting the team or club but only served to attempt to cover the backsides of Tagg, Tisdale and Perryman - a complete abuse of club funds

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed but as the employment figures must be the single cost category by a country mile one might have thought as an experienced FD this is one figure he'd have sat his fingertips. I would hazard a guess if this was a South West Highways shareholders meeting his grasp of core figures might have been a lot tighter.

It would be refreshing if he hadn't been got at by Tagg.

The problem is so much of what is meant to be club focussed activity seems to be used to prop up the beleaguered triumverate.

Another example was the whitewash Q&A set up in the E&E by Larkins - this had zero to do with promoting the team or club but only served to attempt to cover the backsides of Tagg, Tisdale and Perryman - a complete abuse of club funds
Keith Mason did confirm that. I think a number of the gathering would have liked a split between playing and non playing etc with comparisons with the previous year. Hopefully KM will make those figures available.

Gordon Dale

Alistair 2000 : I feel sure that we can both agree that the largest item of ECFC expenditure has to be Employment Costs .

On that basis alone I do not share your faith in Mr Mason.

For him to attend an AGM and say he did not know what the figure for the club's largest item is not credible ...if as you say Mr Mason is a force for efficiency and general good in controlling the club's finances ...is it?