• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

An existential crisis at our club

I went to the game today and found myself with a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of what seemed the apparently meaningless and absurd parallel universe which is currently centred at SJP.

Breaking my self imposed boycott I got tempted to make an appearance on the basis that I had to be in Exeter in any case and a friend kindly donated two tickets for free.

I had read the Tisdale interview WMN where he talked about the the amazing spirit in the dressing room , I'd read his previous interviews about the fight within his teams and how hard they work as individuals and a team. I saw the videos of the Barnet game. Ok let's retake the sacrament that is the Grecian faith.

The first half was the most derisory performance by a City team I have seen over the last 35 years.

Completely out fought , out committed , out skilled , out tackled and out played by one of the few teams with a worse record than us in the league.

Clownish defending , no basic skills, let alone any imagination or guile. A team devoid of ideas, passion and direction.

Yet we pay Tagg, Tisdale and Perryman a quarter of a million pounds a year to assemble, train, organise, pick and direct this team!?? Really ???

I read in the Express & Echo in that ludicrous Q&A that Tagg tells us we have "accountability" at our club. Really?? Who exercises it? What are the consequences of it ?? How come 3 people can pocket vast sums in relation to their peers in any other club in our division and the one above and we (deservedly) languish at the foot of the fourth division of English football??? Surely only in the absurd world that is SJP?

I understand that we are to congratulate Rumpole of Barnstaple for his leadership of the Trust and his selfless efforts on the Club board - yes great for putting in the time and effort BUT how, as owners of our club, have we let 3 employees miss every target they have set themselves , be convinced that we should pay them at least triple the going rate for the job, and oversee the greatest depression in footballing standards at the club most of us can remember?

We have a list of expensively acquired players who have no likelihood of being match fit anytime in the near future. If we see Reid leading the line before 2017 I would be amazed - we will be all but relegated by then.

Today we had the illusion of democracy with the Trust elections - willing ( and much appreciated!) volunteers but taking meaningless positions in fact. The club is , in reality, run under the unenlightend despotism of Tagg. The Trust will only been to seen to be working when this self serving triumvirate are brought to heel, and our club is dragged in to reality before it sinks behind saviour.

This was way beyond a one off poor performance - I see Tisdale nonchalantly leaning against the hoardings watching his team disintegrate. The team couldn't be bothered and he less so.

We are asked to believe that there were 3485 in the ground to witness this travesty of football. In our dreams! Plenty of empty season ticket seats, acres of seats in the OG, and the shrill shouts of pre pubescent kids in an attempt to pad out the gaps.

We will no doubt be asked " to keep the faith" in this self evident absurdity, and heavily criticised by the SJP politburo for being "disloyal". This is a nonsense.

Enough is enough. The current regimes position is absolutely untenable.

The yawning chasm of relegation is facing us - this is not a pessimism , it's fact.

Tisdale , Tagg and Perryman - thanks for everything but your sell by date expired about 4 years ago. For the sake of our club do the decent thing.

If they won't do the decent thing they must be shown the door.
This really has to be the post of the year, about sums up the thoughts and views of so many of Exeter City's fan base!!!

This really has to be the post of the year, about sums up the thoughts and views of so many of Exeter City's fan base!!!
I did miss out one of the most ridiculous absurdities that according to the considered opinion of our board we can't renegotiate the terms of Tisdales contract because he might get upset and lose his motivation!

You couldn't make it up

The club is gong to hell in a handcart

jack101

I went to the game today and found myself with a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of what seemed the apparently meaningless and absurd parallel universe which is currently centred at SJP.

Breaking my self imposed boycott I got tempted to make an appearance on the basis that I had to be in Exeter in any case and a friend kindly donated two tickets for free.

I had read the Tisdale interview WMN where he talked about the the amazing spirit in the dressing room , I'd read his previous interviews about the fight within his teams and how hard they work as individuals and a team. I saw the videos of the Barnet game. Ok let's retake the sacrament that is the Grecian faith.

The first half was the most derisory performance by a City team I have seen over the last 35 years.

Completely out fought , out committed , out skilled , out tackled and out played by one of the few teams with a worse record than us in the league.

Clownish defending , no basic skills, let alone any imagination or guile. A team devoid of ideas, passion and direction.

Yet we pay Tagg, Tisdale and Perryman a quarter of a million pounds a year to assemble, train, organise, pick and direct this team!?? Really ???

I read in the Express & Echo in that ludicrous Q&A that Tagg tells us we have "accountability" at our club. Really?? Who exercises it? What are the consequences of it ?? How come 3 people can pocket vast sums in relation to their peers in any other club in our division and the one above and we (deservedly) languish at the foot of the fourth division of English football??? Surely only in the absurd world that is SJP?

I understand that we are to congratulate Rumpole of Barnstaple for his leadership of the Trust and his selfless efforts on the Club board - yes great for putting in the time and effort BUT how, as owners of our club, have we let 3 employees miss every target they have set themselves , be convinced that we should pay them at least triple the going rate for the job, and oversee the greatest depression in footballing standards at the club most of us can remember?

We have a list of expensively acquired players who have no likelihood of being match fit anytime in the near future. If we see Reid leading the line before 2017 I would be amazed - we will be all but relegated by then.

Today we had the illusion of democracy with the Trust elections - willing ( and much appreciated!) volunteers but taking meaningless positions in fact. The club is , in reality, run under the unenlightend despotism of Tagg. The Trust will only been to seen to be working when this self serving triumvirate are brought to heel, and our club is dragged in to reality before it sinks behind saviour.

This was way beyond a one off poor performance - I see Tisdale nonchalantly leaning against the hoardings watching his team disintegrate. The team couldn't be bothered and he less so.

We are asked to believe that there were 3485 in the ground to witness this travesty of football. In our dreams! Plenty of empty season ticket seats, acres of seats in the OG, and the shrill shouts of pre pubescent kids in an attempt to pad out the gaps.

We will no doubt be asked " to keep the faith" in this self evident absurdity, and heavily criticised by the SJP politburo for being "disloyal". This is a nonsense.

Enough is enough. The current regimes position is absolutely untenable.

The yawning chasm of relegation is facing us - this is not a pessimism , it's fact.

Tisdale , Tagg and Perryman - thanks for everything but your sell by date expired about 4 years ago. For the sake of our club do the decent thing.

If they won't do the decent thing they must be shown the door.

One of the best posts in recent memory. As a fan base we're a soft touch. Some people won't accept what's going on until it's too late.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I did miss out one of the most ridiculous absurdities that according to the considered opinion of our board we can't renegotiate the terms of Tisdales contract because he might get upset and lose his motivation!

You couldn't make it up

The club is gong to hell in a handcart
Interesting. Where has that been stated, when and by whom? Can you quote please?

Antony Moxey

Why do people think the club misrepresent the attendance figures upwards? All that does is tells HMRC that we're taking in more revenue and thus paying more tax. Why on earth would we want to do that?

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Good Op. Looking on the bright side, I wonder if I was the only one to have money on Cambridge at a very generous 5/2?. Ladbrokes dropped the ball there.

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Why do people think the club misrepresent the attendance figures upwards? All that does is tells HMRC that we're taking in more revenue and thus paying more tax. Why on earth would we want to do that?
Fair point. But why on earth would we want to do much of what happens at SJP?.

Interesting. Where has that been stated, when and by whom? Can you quote please?
This seemed to be the thrust of their argument at the AGM??? But I'm only hearing this second hand as I was stuck on the m5 at the time

They will declare revenue to HMRC not attendance numbers - the faux numbers are about face saving and hiding a terminal decline.

So the non attending season ticket holders represent revenue not attendance, kids come free represent attendance not revenue.

I found myself in the stands surrounded by very young kids with at best only a partial interest in the game.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
This seemed to be the thrust of their argument at the AGM??? But I'm only hearing this second hand as I was stuck on the m5 at the time
This was an argument put forward by some trust members, but not sure whether any of these were existing trustees.