• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust AGM

Terryhall

I was going to post this in the Tagg thread, but I think this perhaps warrants its own post.

I received my e-mail this morning confirming the date and details for the Trust AGM and elections to the Trust Board.

Trust e-mail said:
Trust AGM and Elections to the Trust Board 2016
This year’s AGM is on Saturday 22nd October 2016 at 11.00am and will be held at the St Sidwell’s Community Centre in Sidwell Street, Exeter.

Four Trust Board members come to the end of their current term this year. Whilst all four will be entitled to stand for re-election, the Board has decided to increase the number of elected Trustees and there will be seven vacancies on this year’s ballot. It is hoped that by increasing the number of vacancies, we will encourage more members to stand for election and increase the range of skills on the Trust Board.

To assist in helping you decide if you wish to stand for election, below is an information pack that explains the role of a Trust Board member and the Election Campaigning Policy.

It is the Trust’s aim to have a diverse Board, with a broad range of skill sets. There is no doubt that being a Trustee takes up time and can be challenging, but it is equally rewarding and central to a democratic organisation. As well as electing four members onto the Club Board, Trustees are involved in all the groups within the Club’s governance framework. This can only be maintained if members continue to seek election and the more of you that do so, the more vibrant is our democracy.

If you feel you possess the necessary skills and are able to devote some time to the role, I would encourage you to put your name forward. All the details and a nomination form are contained within this pack.

Election Timetable
• 13th September 2016 (Noon): Deadline for Candidate Nominations and Manifestos
• 24th September 2016: Dispatch ballot papers & related documentation including request for Husting Questions
• 1st October 2016: Deadline for Hustings Questions
• 8th October 2016: Election Candidates Hustings
• 15th October 2016: Deadline for return of ballot papers
• 22nd October 2016: Trust AGM
The link to the pack is here - I recall at last years AGM there were 4 posts available and only 3 nominations. I actually can't remember the last time that I actually had to vote for a Trustee election.

I cannot stand as I am not able to attend the meetings, but if anyone does want to stand and needs someone to support their nomination then feel free to send me a PM.

I would encourage anyone who is a Trust member who does not feel able to stand to similarly offer their support to someone else who might want to - to me this is the biggest hurdle in the process, and the more "willing supporters" there are, the more candidates there will be, and in turn the more likely we will be to find the right people for the Trust Board.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would just like to endorse Terry's comments. Just ignore for a moment whether you agree with what the Trust Board does (or even if you believe we do nothing).

Can I assume that you are a Trust member because you at at least "buy in" to the principle of Trust control. There are currently circa. 3,300 of you. From that number it should be a given that there would easily be at least 0.21% prepared to put their head above the parapet. Yet, from past experience, that may not happen.

A democratic body is only as strong and effective as the people who are prepared to get involved in the mechanics of it and, yes, it does involve time, commitment and energy. I can only plead with members to think about it, whatever your view about us, If you think we're doing things wrong, have the wrong priorities or aren't effective enough, don't sit on social media whinging, or even if you have no such opinions, come on in and join us! We're currently under represented in terms of the younger generation, women and ethnic minorities. All are welcome.

I have been on the Trust Board (formerly the BoS) at various times since 2005 so if anybody wants to ask any questions or needs more information on what being a Trustee is all about, then please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think in terms of the "sit on social media whinging" aspect, it may be the case that there are people who are unable rather than unwilling to run for the Trust Board election which may provide something of greater legitimacy.

I would endorse, however, the comments around getting behind people who would be strong for the cause and are perhaps wavering in terms of whether they wish to put their head above the parapet.

As usual I have my little thing, a bit like Terry has said, in that due to my location and other commitments, plus the fact I'd probably be as much use as a chocolate teapot, I wouldn't put myself forward for a role, much as I'd like to!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Can't disagree with any of that Jase. Quite obviously there are always a large proportion of Trust members who, for all manner of reasons, just cannot get involved but I don't accept that there is less than a quarter of one per cent (out of 3.3k) who could find the time and have no issues that would debar them from standing as candidates. The Trust Board always needs new blood, new ideas and new energy.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we can't find 7 people willing to represent the membership, makes you wonder whether the whole thing is viable.

CSM-ECFC

I have been considering standing in the Trust elections and agree that putting yourself forward is the most difficult hurdle, even asking people to support you with a nomination is daunting enough.

There are two reasons why I have been considering standing, the first is that I may have a little something to contribute? The second is as suggested in the previous posts and put so well by Pete “A democratic body is only as strong and effective as the people who are prepared to get involved in the mechanics of it”. I’m not sure when the last contested election took place, but certainly not in the last couple of years which I have found very disappointing. I believe that there is a danger of the Trust becoming isolated from its membership, some will argue it already has, however you cannot blame those who have given considerable time and effort to the Trust board when nobody else is prepared to share the load.

At the very least, with a contested election you have the opportunity to thank those who have served on the board by reelecting them or to effect change if you feel that is what is needed.

iscalad

I have been considering standing in the Trust elections and agree that putting yourself forward is the most difficult hurdle, even asking people to support you with a nomination is daunting enough.

There are two reasons why I have been considering standing, the first is that I may have a little something to contribute? The second is as suggested in the previous posts and put so well by Pete “A democratic body is only as strong and effective as the people who are prepared to get involved in the mechanics of it”. I’m not sure when the last contested election took place, but certainly not in the last couple of years which I have found very disappointing. I believe that there is a danger of the Trust becoming isolated from its membership, some will argue it already has, however you cannot blame those who have given considerable time and effort to the Trust board when nobody else is prepared to share the load.

At the very least, with a contested election you have the opportunity to thank those who have served on the board by reelecting them or to effect change if you feel that is what is needed.
Just go for it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There was a contested election a couple of years ago IIRC, I remember as I had to ask for the voting stuff to be sent through due to a membership reconciliation issue (my fault initially, no blame on the Trust!).

Pete Martin (CTID)

Not sure if I know you in the real world or not but happy to be one of your proposers you if you are worried about asking people.

citizen

I have got to say ,hats off to anyone willing and able to give time to the trust.
Personally after being a member for many years, I have reduced my trust standing order and solely use it as a payment for priority tickets!
The last few years has show that the Trust memberships seems to go into the clubs black hole.
Hopefully this will change,i`m not holding my breathe.
UTC.