• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale must go ...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Tisdale must go

Of course there are those who will claim our lack of money was a major inconvenience while forgetting that is much the norm in this league
So speaks someone who perhaps doesn't delve too deeply into the financing and ownership of pretty much every other club in the league (not just our division).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

You're not alone I'd imagine, there are plenty within our support who have never taken to him despite his achievements.

Some would prefer a "meat and potatoes" type - track suit tucked into socks prowling the touchline in a battered pair of old Copas who's not afraid to chuck some tea cups around at HT.
That has, for me, always been the crux. Because Tisdale isn't a shouty type this is mistaken for a lack of PASSSSHHUNNN!!!!!111!!! which is what some supporters crave.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster

So speaks someone who perhaps doesn't delve too deeply into the financing and ownership of pretty much every other club in the league (not just our division).
So what's your take on what has been causing the year on year paralyses?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

So what's your take on what has been causing the year on year paralyses?
I'm addressing your point where you suggest our tight finances, based on our operating model, are replicated across the division using theirs. It isn't.

For example take Morecambe, who exist in our division on crowds of barely 1000. Then look at their ownership, and their ownership's other interests. Whaddaya mean he also owns Umbro?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'm addressing your point where you suggest our tight finances, based on our operating model, are replicated across the division using theirs. It isn't.

For example take Morecambe, who exist in our division on crowds of barely 1000. Then look at their ownership, and their ownership's other interests. Whaddaya mean he also owns Umbro?
I wasn't aware of Umbro's ownership other than Nike had sold it. I blame Sir Michael Caine for that fascinating mishap.

So, putting that aside, what's your take on what has been causing the year on year paralyses?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

I wasn't aware of Umbro's ownership other than Nike had sold it. I blame Sir Michael Caine for that fascinating mishap.

So, putting that aside, what's your take on what has been causing the year on year paralyses?
It's difficult to gauge, but my starting point would be losing the largely non-league signed spine of our side in 2011 - Jones, Taylor, Edwards, Harley (plus Cureton's goals from that season) and having to try to sign players of equivalent quality requiring far higher wages. Always very difficult to do, and so it proved. This caused a bit of a downward spiral as we waited for a new generation of home-grown (and/or cheap!) talent to come through. All while dealing with lower attendances as our performance level dropped off.

I think we reached the bottom with the crisis of summer 2014 and are back on the up, the emergence and sale of Grimes being pivotal to this as we were able to sign players like Lee Holmes and hold on to Ribeiro and others. Still need to be very wary but I'm optimistic.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster

Still need to be very wary but I'm optimistic.
and there you have it. Optimism, life's true energy.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster

It's difficult to gauge, but my starting point would be losing the largely non-league signed spine of our side in 2011 - Jones, Taylor, Edwards, Harley (plus Cureton's goals from that season) and having to try to sign players of equivalent quality requiring far higher wages. Always very difficult to do, and so it proved. This caused a bit of a downward spiral as we waited for a new generation of home-grown (and/or cheap!) talent to come through. All while dealing with lower attendances as our performance level dropped off.

I think we reached the bottom with the crisis of summer 2014 and are back on the up, the emergence and sale of Grimes being pivotal to this as we were able to sign players like Lee Holmes and hold on to Ribeiro and others. Still need to be very wary but I'm optimistic.
You and I are closing - but not quite! Of class 2011, Edwards, Taylor and Harley were indeed good. As for Jones, I was one of very few on Exeweb who rated him - the goal which proved to be his undoing was due to Tully's appalling sliced kick at Brentford. As for Jamie Cureton, I met Jamie at Swindon's Designer Outlet. He explained to me that he left City because he wasn't offered a new contract.

Our troubles may have started around 2011 but don't you consider that our recovery has been a long time coming? Take Darrell Clarke of Bristol Rovers, in 2010 he took Salisbury City into Conference Premier from the Southern league. Appointed Rover's manager in March 2014 he was unable to stop Rover's crashing out of the league. However, one year later, Clarke not only got them back into league football, they're currently in the play-offs.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

You and I are closing - but not quite! Of class 2011, Edwards, Taylor and Harley were indeed good. As for Jones, I was one of very few on Exeweb who rated him - the goal which proved to be his undoing was due to Tully's appalling sliced kick at Brentford. As for Jamie Cureton, I met Jamie at Swindon's Designer Outlet. He explained to me that he left City because he wasn't offered a new contract.

Our troubles may have started around 2011 but don't you consider that our recovery has been a long time coming? Take Darrell Clarke of Bristol Rovers, in 2010 he took Salisbury City into Conference Premier from the Southern league. Appointed Rover's manager in March 2014 he was unable to stop Rover's crashing out of the league. However, one year later, Clarke not only got them back into league football, they're currently in the play-offs.
Our recovery has been a long time coming - certain off-field decisions certainly didn't help but I think the crux was we did pretty well to stay up in 13/14 and enormously well, given our troubles off the field pre-season, to have been in playoff contention for most of 14/15. I accept that once Grimes was snapped up our spending level could be increased somewhat allied to a change in expectations.

Re: Bristol Rovers, that's hardly a fair comparison IMO. While they may have had some off-field problems re: their stadium, they should never have gone down in 13/14 and would have immediately been installed as pretty warm favourites for an immediate return. Like us in 08/09 they have used that momentum to great effect, allied however to a far larger fanbase that if truth be told should be permanent fixtures in L1.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S

What cup finals do you have such a strong expectation of getting to that you want to sack a 4th tier manager for failing to reach?
JPT.

If Oxford can why can't we ?