• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale must go ...

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Re: Tisdale must go

So you stopped considering it was a possibility he was a good manager 5 years ago? Why don't you take it up again.
Good managers achieve consistently - 5 years is too long IMO without producing a side who have reached the playoffs or been genuine promotion contenders

I will take it up if we achieve something of note , that being a top 7 finish come the 46th game of this season , promotion or at some point automatic promotion or winning a league or a cup.

I don't buy this getting into the top 10 and having a cup run as success or exceeding expectations - I personally feel City set the bar too low in terms of what there happy with given the league there in.

Mentality is massive in football - IMO accepting 10th and a cup run isn't a positive mentality - because what have you actually achieved at the end of the season ?

Trophys , medals , promotion parades , cup finals - that's the whole point of playing ain't it ?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

What about the youth coaches ? What about natural ability ? What about Eamon Dolan & Alex Inglethorpe ?

Considering he told us he wanted a home grown team made up of young players no I don't he's had that big an influence - prove in the pudding when you have Oakley , Morrison , Butterfield , McCallister in the squad.
Yeah, I think Dolan and Inglethorpe played a role as well, though not as big a role as Tisdale. So about 4m worth of income has been generated from player sales in the time that he's been here... in contrast to about 100,000 tops in the 10 years before he arrived. And you think that is a co-incidence? Fair enough.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

By the way, to put it in some perspective, Dolan and Inglethorpe were here for a combined 2 years. Matt Grimes was 9 years old. If they get their dues, then its hard to deny Tisdale his.

Colesman Ballz

By the way, to put it in some perspective, Dolan and Inglethorpe were here for a combined 2 years. Matt Grimes was 9 years old. If they get their dues, then its hard to deny Tisdale his.
You seem to conveniently forget, that before Eamo became manager, he was of course in charge of our "Centre of Excellence" as our youth set-up was known in those days, and was personally involved in the day to day development of players such as Dean Moxey, who was a first team regular for two and a half seasons before Tisdale even arrived.

Until the products of our academy, are selected to train with the first team squad, it is their coaches that have the major part in their development.

And to correct you Eamo and Alex between managed the first team for a total of three seasons, from summer 2003 until summer 2006.

Colesman Ballz

Yeah, I think Dolan and Inglethorpe played a role as well, though not as big a role as Tisdale. So about 4m worth of income has been generated from player sales in the time that he's been here... in contrast to about 100,000 tops in the 10 years before he arrived. And you think that is a co-incidence? Fair enough.
There are two major flaws in your argument, in judging Tisdale's success against previous managers, based on transfer revenue received.
Firstly transfer fees have spiralled upwards in correlation to the vast increase in TV Revenues.
Take Martin Phillips for example, whom Alan Ball suggested could be English football's first £10million player. When manager at Man City he was happy to pay us £500k Now players are selling for over £80 million. So what price now for players sold from Terry Cooper's 1989-90 side (Vinniecombe, Shaun Taylor, Richard Dryden, Scott Hiley etc were sold for a total over a £1m so x 8 would equate to around £10m in less than 3 seasons).

Secondly, whilst we possessed a basic youth system, the current set-up only dates back to around the millenium, and has really been developed and built upon, particularly since the Trust took control of the club in the summer of 2003. Indeed in 2002-03 "Pinky and Perky's" only interest was to try and find a way of squeezing every last penny out of it to line their own pockets. Fortunately they were frustrated by those involved.

chunkymorrinmunter

I believe he is a decent and shrewd manager,but a John yems type as a sidekick is required,

Antony Moxey

To be fair it's acompletely pointless discussion - nothing could see Tisdale sacked (football wise)
No, it's pointless because there's nothing he could ever do (football wise) to make you change your mind about wanting him sacked.

Antony Moxey

Well perhaps...but with a fully fit team we should expect to win a play off wouldn't you think.?

Sadly there are no prizes for coming second....... well, fifth, sixth or seventh.

Of course I would be delighted if we made the play offs but even though we are only 4 points adrift, I fear sadly, we may have dropped too many silly points earlier in the season.
Yes we have dropped too many silly points, and will probably continue to do so until May - joys of bein a fourth division side I suppose.

I wouldn't say a fully fit side should be expected to win at Wembley, we could be up against decent sides like Oxford or Plymouth - whilst it'd be pretty demoralising, especially against Plymouth, I'm not sure it'd be entirely fair to sack Tis after losing at Wembley.

Antony Moxey

Good managers achieve consistently - 5 years is too long IMO without producing a side who have reached the playoffs or been genuine promotion contenders

I will take it up if we achieve something of note , that being a top 7 finish come the 46th game of this season , promotion or at some point automatic promotion or winning a league or a cup.

I don't buy this getting into the top 10 and having a cup run as success or exceeding expectations - I personally feel City set the bar too low in terms of what there happy with given the league there in.

Mentality is massive in football - IMO accepting 10th and a cup run isn't a positive mentality - because what have you actually achieved at the end of the season ?

Trophys , medals , promotion parades , cup finals - that's the whole point of playing ain't it ?
So we've never had a decent manager then, as before Tisdale arrived we'd never been in the play-offs and only been promoted three times with about fifteen years at least in between promotions. We've also only won one trophy, no medals and been to no cup finals either before Tis so yeah, sack him, he's only following in the footsteps of a long line of failures who've never achieved anything at City.

Colesman Ballz

So we've never had a decent manager then, as before Tisdale arrived we'd never been in the play-offs and only been promoted three times with about fifteen years at least in between promotions. We've also only won one trophy, no medals and been to no cup finals either before Tis so yeah, sack him, he's only following in the footsteps of a long line of failures who've never achieved anything at City.
You are attempting to re-write the history books here Ant. Promoted 1963-4 under Jack Edwards, THIRTEEN YEARS LATER, in 1976-77 under Bobby Saxton, then again THIRTEEN YEARS LATER in 1989-90 under Terry Cooper. Of course THIRTEEN years after that, the sequence was broken, with relegation to the bleddy Conference under bleddy Russell and bleddy Lewis ! :(