• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

I've heard some nonsense in my time, but this takes the biscuit...

Stuart Storer's Tache

I've had a look and it was indeed the 2003/04 season. We beat Accrington 3-2 and Aldershot drew 1-1 with Tamworth. They ended up in 5th place on 70 points and us in 6th on 69 with a better goal difference.
Despite the disappointing outcome, what a great day that was! Great game, plenty of goals (including if my memory serves me correctly a peach from Coppinger), boiling hot with a big crowd, although I've seen it reported as high as over 8000 I don't think it was that big. It certainly didn't feel that big.

Whatever happened to Huxham? I know he took the club to court over money but after that I don't know.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite the disappointing outcome, what a great day that was! Great game, plenty of goals (including if my memory serves me correctly a peach from Coppinger), boiling hot with a big crowd, although I've seen it reported as high as over 8000 I don't think it was that big. It certainly didn't feel that big.

Whatever happened to Huxham? I know he took the club to court over money but after that I don't know.
http://www.evangelchurch.co.uk/welcome/about-us/

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lion of Judah? He doesn't look a bit like Haile Selassie.

Colesman Ballz

So he's antidenominationalism?
That's only half of it...

Evangel was birthed in 2010 when returning from missions work in Rwanda and Burundi Pastor Ian was unable to find a church which he and his family felt comfortable to join. It seemed that at one end of the spectrum church was full of religion and tradition whilst at the other it was weird and whacky. Neither fully represented the type of church a family of born again, Spirit filled, Bible believing Christians would choose. Worse still Ian was unable to recognise the gospel that was being preached (if there was any) as the gospel of Christ.

To Ian, as a pentecostal Christian it was unthinkable to join a church that denies the gifts of the Spirit as being for today, however it seemed to him on the other hand that in many of the charismatic churches the Gospel of Christ had largely been replaced with the gospel of "prosperity" or the gospel of "celebrity" (to name just two).

Further, many pastors and teachers had become motivational speakers teaching their congregations how to train their flesh rather than crucify it. The choice it appeared boiled down to one between church with little or no evidence of the gifts of the Holy Spirit or church that uses the Holy Spirit as an excuse to do whatever strange things their "feelings" lead them to. Neither of these were appropriate; what was required was a church that places a high emphasis on the Bible as being the final authority in all matters, a church in which the Word and the Spirit are in balance.

Thankfully for Ian and his family he was led to Sidmouth where he found that there were many like minded Christians also struggling to find churches with which they could fellowship. On 6th June 2010 Evangel held it's first Sunday morning service in the Arts Centre at the Manor Pavilion Theatre (The church now meets in the Council Chamber of East Devon District Council at The Knowle Sidmouth).
Exeter City must have been a broad church back in the day.

Hallelujah

PeteUSA

Anyway, back on topic!!

Mark, is there anything can be done to stop Radio Devon/Grecian Player giving out Premier League updates, please.

Fareham Grecian

Oh come on, it's much more fun off topic. The idea that whatever weirdness Huxham believes in 'led him to Sidmouth' is absolute comedy gold.

Although more seriously it's another sign that as a club we're in so much better shape than then. Russell/Lewis/Geller/Jackson/Huxham: all evil people. If the worst that we have now are vaguely incompetent but well meaning amateurs, I'll take it.

Swanaldo

I know the club is working hard to improve the tannoy
A mic, an amp, a dozen speakers and some wire.

How hard can it be?

Fareham Grecian

A mic, an amp, a dozen speakers and some wire.

How hard can it be?
Exactly. I know we have money issues, and always will have. But a workable tannoy can't possibly cost more than a few thousand pounds. And surely it's a legal requirement to have a working tannoy??