• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter Mods and Rockers

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Personally I was a mod. Had a Lambretta GTX with a lot of nice trimmings. We used to hang out down at the clock tower café, making a coffee or coke last as long as possible in between a game on the pin table, before all getting on the scooters for a ride along queen street and down over fore street to shout some abuse at the rockers in the El Zamba then back to the clock tower. We sure knew how to enjoy ourselves!!:D Any other ex mods or rockers from those days on exeweb? Sad as it may be I still have my fishtail parker!

PeteUSA

Bleddy Hell Geoff, You never said you patronised the Clock Tower! I bet I would know you by sight! I was in there nearly every night between 1961 - 64. Harold behind the counter, Joyce wiping the tables; Bugger - those were the days! I got to be good friends with Eric Hayden (the owner) although not that close, in case you heard any rumours! I never thought the mods and rocker thing caught on in Exeter like it did the rest of the country - particularly seaside towns, where all the scrapping and violence went on. I do recall a group of 'rockers' called the Whipton Saints that used to come in, after parking their machines around the base of the tower, so they could keep an eye on em' from the cafe. Not all the many mods though. I wasnt into either; I was just a developing would-be hard nut, who kept close company with proper hard nuts, like Rocky Stone, Bill Scorer, Paddy Fitzgerald etc. Who did you hang out with Geoff?

Banksy

I had a nice little Lambretta back then. Wouldn't want to ride one now though , too much on the roads!

geoffwp

I think our times didn't coincide Pete. I started going around '64. I used to go with mates and also meet up with others from school. I hung around with Andy Kemp, Viv Hughes, Sid Hobbs, Paddy Marriner and Paul Heath, all lads around my age. We used to sit in the front. I think all the top boys used to be in the back section, but they were all older than us, probably had jobs etc. You could always tell if they were earning because they would go up to London to get their kit, unlike the likes of us who were relegated to Peter Gardners at the top of fore street, or Endicotts down the hill. Others I recall were 'Big John' who was top boy in around 64/65, Ray Goss and Chris Howard. Also a couple of young ladies who I fancied from afar like Marcia ( think it may have been Row or Rowles and Sue moxey ( don't ask, I don't know!!)
I expect you had graduated to the back room by then Pete. Didn't Eric have an assistant called Mike? Remember us all going one evening over to St Leonards to where the 'Codiaks' were playing. Good local mod band. I had dark ginger hair in those days and was refered to by everyone as 'Ginge'. Oh for that luxury now! ;)

Last edited:

PeteUSA

I think our times didn't coincide Pete. I started going around '64. I used to go with mates and also meet up with others from school. I hung around with Andy Kemp, Viv Hughes, Sid Hobbs, Paddy Marriner and Paul Heath, all lads around my age. We used to sit in the front. I think all the top boys used to be in the back section, but they were all older than us, probably had jobs etc. You could always tell if they were earning because they would go up to London to get their kit, unlike the likes of us who were relegated to Peter Gardners at the top of fore street, or Endicotts down the hill. Others I recall were 'Big John' who was top boy in around 64/65, Ray Goss and Chris Howard. Also a couple of young ladies who I fancied from afar like Marcia ( think it may have been Row or Rowles and Sue moxey ( don't ask, I don't know!!)
I expect you had graduated to the back room by then Pete. Didn't Eric have an assistant called Mike? Remember us all going one evening over to St Leonards to where the 'Codiaks' were playing. Good local mod band. I had dark ginger hair in those days and was refered to by everyone as 'Ginge'. Oh for that luxury now! ;)
I believe you're right Geoff. It appears I was running five years or so ahead of you; I dont recall any of the names you've mentioned. As for the 'top table' graduation thing, I have no clue about that! We sat wherever we wanted (assuming there were empty seats you understand) whether it be out the back, up front where the booths on each side were, or on a sunday night when the place was heaving, we'd sit in one of the two suitable areas up there; usually the one with the bay window overlooking the Clock Tower. When most of our lot were on the dole in the freezing winter of 62 (?) we'd head down "the clock" of an afternoon, and we'd have a bit of a three card brag card school going on, on the bay window table upstairs: The only ones I remember from that select group are Eric himself, Mike Gallon who emigrated to Aus. many years ago, Pete Greenslade, who went on to be a bread salesman with Hill Palmer & Edwards, and Dave Rowe, who I know sadly died many years ago.

On the fashion front, I did buy a lot of clobber from Endicotts, but probably more from Gordon Truman's (Whitehall Clothier) across the road. The latest in footwear was generally from John Conway at the top of South Street.

LOG

Got any pics?

Antony Moxey

Pervert. This isn't yay or nay y'know (nay though, to dispel any possible doubts).

LOG

I just want to see pics of Pete and Geoff in all their gear.

Nay also, btw.

Grecian2K

Beezers and Triumphs for me I'm afraid!

(Lambrettas and Vespas were little baby toys for wussies who couldn't pass their bike test)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I was, and still am, a Mod. Natch.