• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That's some quick work. Was expecting 10 years of study before any plan was put forward. Still a long way to go. That route could be quite a boon to the tourism trade for Dartmoor, but wonder if everyone else will see it that way.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would expect that most of the the Blue Rinse brigade in West Devon will be choking on their Earl Grey at this news, remember that Tavistock was too 'posh' for a McDonalds!!
From a personal point of view the thought of Tavistock being on the main Penzance to London line has me creaming my pants in anticipation.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
From a personal point of view the thought of Tavistock being on the main Penzance to London line has me creaming my pants in anticipation.
Don't get too excited yet. It'll be 10 miles away and called Tavistock Parkway!

tavyred

Don't get too excited yet. It'll be 10 miles away and called Tavistock Parkway!
That wouldn't surprise me in the least Hants, that said the oft mooted extension to the line to Tavistock from Bere Alston had a station just off Callington Road just outside Tavistock, so here`s hoping they stick to that plan.

ecfc70

would be better if they just build a HS2 line from Exeter to Okehampton and then straight to Bodmin, truro and Penzance instead of going back down to Pl*mouth, keep the old line for local journeys

grecIAN Harris

I wonder what the would mean for The Tarka Line which runs along the first part of the route to Coleford Junction and the station between there and Exeter, namely Newton St Cyres, Crediton and Yeoford.

StroudGrecian

Talk on the wireless yesterday about reinstating the line to Launceston but I can't see how that would help travel to the rest of Cornwall, that line pootled through to Padstow but it would have to switch back and take days to get to Sozzle via Bodmin Rd.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
... when the Sidmouth line was dismantled all the land up the Otter Valley was given back, for free, to the land owners.
My dad told me that Newton Poppleford Railway Station was bought by my uncle who owned the coal and log merchants in the village. His house faced the station just across the road that branched left off the Sidmouth road just before the rail bridge.

Oldsmobile-88

branched left off the Sidmouth road just before the rail bridge.
I had forgotten all about that bridge until you mentioned it.It was removed in the late 1970's when the road was improved at the Sidmouth side of Newton Pop...

Off track slightly,anyone remember the huge viaduct that carried the railway from Exmouth to Tipton St John which cut across Exeter Road in Exmouth ?..It was demolished in the mid 1980's iirc

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Off track slightly,anyone remember the huge viaduct that carried the railway from Exmouth to Tipton St John which cut across Exeter Road in Exmouth ?
Remember it well. Houses right next to it, with hardly an inch of space between!