• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Torquay United vs Exeter City Match Day Thread ...

Xavi

First game I've seen all season. My observations for what they're worth:

Best young prospects for a number of years. Grimes is a gem, cool on the ball, makes passing look easy, great timing in the air and what a free kick! Will get better and better.

I always thought Nichols was a prospect but his rapid progress is a welcome surprise. Non-stop intelligent runs off the ball, a delight for a midfielder like Grimes to have up front and a nightmare for defenders. He's finishing is getting stronger, I'll look forward to watching him anytime.

Wheeler whilst not from the academy is young and just the type of wide man you need in league 1/2. Strong with pace. How on earth he's started so many games on the bench I don't know.

JMT is a good young defender. Not going to make the headlines, but very competent and will do a sound job for a club like City.

Onto the slightly older locals. I've been a big critic of Bennett but always said he should play at the back and did he look comfortable, almost classy at centre half. Perhaps there may be a long-term benefit of all those midfield games.

Sercombe was poor in the first half (it was a pen and a poor decision to put the tackle in) but improved a bit later into the game. If Gill or Oakley are fit I would pair one of them with Grimes and drop Sercombe to the bench.

So lots of good young talent and some great older pros in the squad: Gill, Oakley, Gow, Baldwin & Coles (yep - nothing wrong at this level with those two central defenders). So I'm somewhat mystified why we're not 5-10 points better off and having a half decent season. I hope Tisdale realises his strongest options and we move on and up. We have the mix of young talent and experience yo do well.

I'm not getting carried away with seeing one match (on that pitch and a local derby it was never going to all be pleasing on the eye), but I can see we have a squad that should do okay and, with that young talent, continue to improve.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
1st half we were second best but a good penalty save from Artur and a great strike from Nichols saw us go in 1-0 up. Fair play to whatever Tis said to the boys at half time because 2nd half we were considerably better. A lovely, lovely run from Wheeler ended with a very composed finish for 2-0 and once that goal went in I was wondering how many more we could put past Torquay. We were dominant. But in almost City fashion we let Torquay back into the match and that led to some nervous moments and some last ditch defending to preserve our advantage. Then, through a defensive mistake, Gow put the game beyond doubt with a calm finish which caused a mass exodus from the Turkey fans. Overall a good win and we got no less than we deserved.

I thought Wheeler was our standout player but special mentions should go to Artur and Nichols. Also I was very impressed with Torquays Billy Bodin and once they go down we would be foolish not to have a look at him as he on evidence is the only one of their players who is above the level to which they are heading.

UTC!!:D

Red Lion

Cracking game of football and three fantastic goals but, as Sturtz has just said, Artur was the star.

Torquay bossed the first half and their movement off the ball was excellent. City defended well but relied upon Artur to make several outstanding saves. There was no argument over the penalty decision it was a blatant foul but Artur took responsibility and made a fantastic save. Nichols goal was pure class and against the run of play. In the first half we just couldn't keep the ball and were under a lot of pressure. Bodin looked a real threat although JMT did a fairly good job on him (he looked knackered!).

The second half was very different. We were the dominant side and started to be much more careful with the ball. We looked much more threatening and Wheeler's goal was simply brilliant. He had his best game for City and, as well as being a threat with his pace and control, is also so good in the air and was the focus of most of Artur's goal kicks. When Torquay got their goal back nerves were jangling and there was a sense of deja vue. However Gow scored an excellent third - he was clearly tugged back but instead of going to ground he carried on and "poked" the ball home.

So many plusses today:
Artur - has developed so much over the last couple of years. Was our MOM today.
Back 4 - impressive. Baldwin was the leader and ensured they worked well as a unit. Butterfield had an excellent game.
Midfield - despite the early loss of Gill, they all worked tirelessly. In the first half they couldn't keep the ball but were outstanding in the second half. Gow was incredibly unGow like. He kept possession really well, made good decisions and worked tirelessly for the team. Wheeler was awesome and seems to get better and better with each game.
Up Front - Nichols was tireless and worked the defenders so hard. Parkin was a bit of a lump in the first half but was much more effective in the second and used his strengths to get others involved in the game.

Really buzzing after this game. There is so much potential in this team and it is exciting to see this.
I have to say, this sums up nicely the way I saw it today.
It was a penalty, glad Artur saved it.
I think some on here are doing the turks a dis-service, they pinged the ball about nicely in the first half, and there were 2 separate moments of skill, one each side of our penalty box that deserved a goal on the end of it, glad they didn't get it.
We've lost to much worse teams than that at home this season.
Artur was far and away MOM amongst a brilliant team performance.
However, to quote Pulp Fiction "Let's not start sucking each other off yet", it's only Torquay!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
who was the grey haired bloke playing cenner half for the chipnickers....he looked like he was about 50 years old..

Red Lion

Also, found a ground with a worse tannoy than ours! I think I heard the attendance was 2 thousand and something. Shocking!
Can anyone please confirm the right attendance and how many City were there?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Also, found a ground with a worse tannoy than ours! I think I heard the attendance was 2 thousand and something. Shocking!
Can anyone please confirm the right attendance and how many City were there?
deffo more than 2000 , I think there must of been over 1000 city alone....

4500 ish id imagine.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
well done to all, three very welcome points and while winning a derby always seems more important the first game since argyle that has been entertaining to watch for me regardless of result.

three very well taken goals and a number of other chances so well done to all concerned. artur was man of match for me, and enjoyed the atmosphere. really hope the fans on the bank can do something to try and create that at home.

thought the crowd was 4200 ish if I heard right.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

4231. And to think we thought the attendance against Argiggle was poor.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Total = 4231 with 1255 City

rp42

I have to say, this sums up nicely the way I saw it today.
It was a penalty, glad Artur saved it.
I think some on here are doing the turks a dis-service, they pinged the ball about nicely in the first half, and there were 2 separate moments of skill, one each side of our penalty box that deserved a goal on the end of it, glad they didn't get it.
We've lost to much worse teams than that at home this season.
Artur was far and away MOM amongst a brilliant team performance.
However, to quote Pulp Fiction "Let's not start sucking each other off yet", it's only Torquay!
Didn't know Torquay was mentioned in Pulp fiction;)