• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New year - new rant

Sorry to bore you all, but here goes anyway...

Well, having been offline through the Christmas break, this is my first chance really to post since Wycombe on Boxing Day. I listened to most of the Colchester match but none of yesterday's match, so can't comment on the Yeovil match, but...

Frankly I was astounded at some of what I witnessed behind the goal at Wycombe. While I applaud the efforts of the "Siege" mob in terms of what they did (I couldn't join them on account of having a rather frightened daughter in attendance who only brightened up in the second half when we were sat with Al Crockford and young ECFC), it was the other stuff that really got my goat.

I have oft referred to "targets", the City "support" (and I use the term advisedly) seems to pick one and will have a go at them regardless. This isn't a new thing - I remember the day we lost at Tamworth in, I assume, 06/07, where it was the height of the anti-Buckle nonsense, and he was getting it in the neck for doing no worse than other players who were "praised for the effort".

In recent times the target has been Marcus Stewart - he was out of the side pre-retirement so the target became Paul Jones. He buggered off so the target became his namesake Billy. He got injured so the cycle turns back round to David Noble.

Case in point at Wycombe. Noble is surrounded by blue shirts. Sercombe, instead of spreading the play, whacks the ball shin-high 5 yards to him. All Noble can do is attempt to get the ball down before the three oppo players rob him. You'd think if anyone were to be berated it would be Sercs for the ridiculous poor pass, but no, a cacophany of "F***ing RUBBISH, Noble!" rang out from most of those around me.

Come the end of the game and a bunch of fans start berating Tisdale - those around me as we walked out were yelling about getting rid of Noble and getting a new captain. Notwithstanding the fact that IMO Noble was probably our best player - driving forward with purpose and the heartbeat of a lot of the good that we did that day. Not his fault Tully was torn apart by their winger and in Trotta they had someone who knew how to find the net with aplomb. Three chances, three goals. For the rest of the match I thought we pummelled them and had Bauza not faffed around for the penalty we'd have won. Ho hum.

Come Colchester and again we seemed to enjoy (by the evidence of the radio comms) the lion's share of possession, only to be undone by a combination of a couple of well-worked goals and the cynicism of the home defenders, unchecked by inadequate officials. Then Danny Coles (who in the games I've seen has barely put a foot wrong) gets himself sent off, suddenly it all comes out that he's the worst defender in christendom. People on FB mentioning that Exeweb has gone into meltdown.

And now today I come online after the break to find thread after thread berating individuals, the team, the management, the tea lady.

I never thought I'd get to the stage where I saw visiting Exeweb as a chore rather than something to look forward to, less so the stage where I saw watching a City match amongst the City "support" to be something to rile me up rather than be enjoyed. I have in recent years made a conscious decision not to visit Exeweb at least until the Monday morning after a Saturday game or the next morning after a midweek game, as the site becomes unbearable whether City win, lose or draw at that time.

If we win, it's "City are the greatest, take that you negative sods!" to which the negative sods reply about how lucky we were, or one win doesn't change things, or whatever.

If we lose, it's "City are the worst, take that you rose-tinters!" to which the rose-tinters reply about how unlucky we were, or one defeat doesn't change things, or whatever.

If we draw, repeat cycle for a defeat. Add in something about Target A, Coach B, Director of Football C, Atmopshere D, Crowd E, Youth policy F, etc.

In this dawning of a new era for Exeweb, is it too late to hope that there may be a modicum of rational thinking in the future? No? Shame.

Anyway, if you have made it this far, bravo, you obviously are as sad a git as I am. Just to summarise my views:

1. Let's think about our "targets", why are you targeting them for abuse? Do they justify it? Why? Do you think that yelling at them (especially when it isn't their fault) isn't counter-productive in the slightest?

2. Positivity breeds positivity. In 09/10, when relegation stared us in the face, a simple suggestion to get behind the team from the moment they stepped off the bus helped generate a positive atmosphere and, lo and behold, we lost only one more match all season. Same to an extent this season - Al Yates calls for a siege mentality, fans get behind players, lo and behold an upturn. Sadly my belief that the "organisation" of the siege into something of a "club" having diluted the impact somewhat holds firm.

3. What were people's expectations this season? We lost, through being a tiny fish in a comparatively big pond, several of our key players. People have complained that we haven't replaced them with players of equal quality. Well, duh! Ryan Harley has emerged as a top end Championship player. Paul Jones has been playing in the Championship and earning decent reviews. Matt Taylor rightly took the money and ran and is now a very good bet to be playing in the Championship next season. Cureton rightly took the money (and security of a long contract) and ran - although his return has been less than that of another current City "target", John O'Flynn. We lost these players by dint of having been successful last season, attracting the vultures with a lot more money than we can offer. Them's the breaks.

Anyway, apologies again. Off my chest now. Do carry on.

Very well said Jason, it never hurts to be reminded that all too many football fans are clueless morons. I' ve been looking at the Brighton equivalent of Exeweb today ( lots of " Poyet out " momentum starting ) and the Southampton forum too ( " no way back from this defeat ", " we urgently need quality in, but it won' t happen " etc. etc,. for a team that are TOP of the table ). So it stands to reason Exeter will also attract a fair number of idiots.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Sigh,, Jason being anti Siege Army again

"Same to an extent this season - Al Yates calls for a siege mentality, fans get behind players, lo and behold an upturn. Sadly my belief that the "organisation" of the siege into something of a "club" having diluted the impact somewhat holds firm."

The reality is this - the siege mentality Facebook campaign was only going to be for the short term, 5/6 games at most. It was great in galvanising support behind the team and contribute to some epic performances. However once gone, it's gone... like so many other bursts of positivity I've seen at City over the years.

By using the siege name, the idea/mentality of getting behind ECFC no matter what, was already in place. This nicely ties into the ultras mentality - so IMO it was a natural evoutlion, although one that could only happen with organisation. Without it I think it would have been harder to yet the flags etc going. It's hardly Dortmund's terrace at the moment, but the Bank is that little bit more colourful at the moment, and the better for it. It's not a total answer to the BB's usual morgue like atmosphere, but it's a contribution. Not sure why, but your throwaway remarks irk me a little (oohh I don't want to be like Accy, embarrassing, more flags than fans etc). It is missing the point as well as the future of English support, when fans finally realise our terrace culture has completely evaporated, leaving us the quietist and least interesting across the whole of Europe.

So no, I don't accept it's diluted the impact, they are now two separate entities - and hopefully something that can actually last rather than become lost in city folklore.
Woah, hold your horses there for a second and recognise that I am in fact praising the efforts, both in my opening gambit about Wycombe and in terms of breeding positivity. Although your reply does actually strengthen my argument somewhat in terms of it becoming something of a "club" around which you are either in or out. And my personal viewpoint, lest it should be berated (and perhaps rightly so) is that I find the whole "Ultras" thing a complete turn-off, not just because it looks embarrassing at small provincial clubs like ours but also the whole link between many of the "Ultras" brands across Europe and less palatable activities (the "Ultras" at Real Madrid who turn their backs when a black player scores for them, etc. etc.).

I'm not interested in "terrace culture", I'm interested in watching a game of Football, and getting behind the team.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very well said Jason, it never hurts to be reminded that all too many football fans are clueless morons. I' ve been looking at the Brighton equivalent of Exeweb today ( lots of " Poyet out " momentum starting ) and the Southampton forum too ( " no way back from this defeat ", " we urgently need quality in, but it won' t happen " etc. etc,. for a team that are TOP of the table ). So it stands to reason Exeter will also attract a fair number of idiots.
You do certainly fit this bill but don't tar us all with that brush '*****'.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The issue is not so much the seeming target of individuals, it's the lack of reasoning, however, right or wrong it maybe, that doesn't come with it. It could be argued that I came into one of Jason's aforementioned groups when I was forever on Jonesy's case but I would back up what I was saying with some kind of justification (whether you thought I was right or wrong was, as always, open to debate and I was quite happy to have that with you).
It strikes me that most of those who have been targeted by Jason OP are the new generation of Exewebbers. You'd do well to heed what is being said as you might find then that Exeweb is a far more interesting read as you might just start to get some of the 'old skool' back who have a different slant on things and the debate would be enjoyable. They're not necerserily rose tinters either.
Agreed - while you and I may have sparred frequently on the boards of Exeweb over the relative merits (or otherwise) of our players, at least the arguments have a sound basis in judgement behind them.

Mackster

A bit unwarranted I say Jason.

1. Exeweb was far worse 5 years ago after a poor defeat - maybe it was just more articulate in its criticism. Perhaps the new regime could check the current demographic profile of Exwebbers - I bet it's a lot younger than 5 years ago. Of course, these new younger posters would be of the opinion that exeweb used to be full of "real ale drinking, old c*nts". Our two promotions have attracted a new sort of fan, they are just are different from you and I.

2. We deservedly lost three away games on the bounce because our finishing was woeful and we offered nothing offensively in the last 30 mins. O's, Wycombe & Colchester had far more desire to see the game home in the last 30 mins, this was the most disappointing aspect of all those games.

3. The support during the 90 minutes of all those games was excellent, a bit quiet at Colchester understandably, but no one was slagging the team of during play. So a few choose to have a go at the players & manager at the end...big f*cking deal. Not my style, but I'd defend anyone's right to this providing it doesn't step over the line. Football is a great profession, those involved need to accept the brickbats as well as the over the top, fawning "in Tis we trust" adulation.

grecIAN Harris

Agreed - while you and I may have sparred frequently on the boards of Exeweb over the relative merits (or otherwise) of our players, at least the arguments have a sound basis in judgement behind them.
I think I've sparred with just about everybody on here in the ten years I've been a member be it about the merits of Sean Devine with Joey, Mackie with ******** to name but a few and I can safely say I've enjoyed every one of them. And I've enjoyed everyone of them because of the debate and that is why many of them went on for so long.

grecianstew

Top, top OP, my enjoyment of the whole ECFC experience is being compromised to a point where i have to think twice about going to a match and being surrounded by these clueless, opinionated morons. At the Scunthorpe match, 10 minutes after Noble had been subbed, Sercombe put a pass into touch. The cretin 2 rows behind me in the Doble yells "F*cking useless Noble, you are a disgrace"

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
A bit unwarranted I say Jason.

1. Exeweb was far worse 5 years ago after a poor defeat - maybe it was just more articulate in its criticism. Perhaps the new regime could check the current demographic profile of Exwebbers - I bet it's a lot younger than 5 years ago. Of course, these new younger posters would be of the opinion that exeweb used to be full of "real ale drinking, old c*nts". Our two promotions have attracted a new sort of fan, they are just are different from you and I.

2. We deservedly lost three away games on the bounce because our finishing was woeful and we offered nothing offensively in the last 30 mins. O's, Wycombe & Colchester had far more desire to see the game home in the last 30 mins, this was the most disappointing aspect of all those games.

3. The support during the 90 minutes of all those games was excellent, a bit quiet at Colchester understandably, but no one was slagging the team of during play. So a few choose to have a go at the players & manager at the end...big f*cking deal. Not my style, but I'd defend anyone's right to this providing it doesn't step over the line. Football is a great profession, those involved need to accept the brickbats as well as the over the top, fawning "in Tis we trust" adulation.
On point 1, I generally accepted this at the time as a positive in terms of how far we had come as a club since relegation that defeat was treated as something of an affront to our standing as a club. At least until we lost at Forest Green in 06/07, where throughout the match there was ridiculous negativity and even the more so-called rational posters on Exeweb claimed we were rubbish that night and "should be beating teams like them" - which was patronising as much as inaccurate.

I disagree somewhat with point 2 - I don't think we "deserved" to lose at Leyton Orient bar a mad 15 minutes which saw Troy lose his head for a while. We certainly didn't deserve to lose at Wycombe where we were well on top for almost the entire match, while Colchester only made things comfortable (going by radio evidence) when two goals up and a man up. We were somewhat toothless, hopefully the return to fitness of Nards, Bauza and O'Flynn will see us right to the end of the season.

On point 3, sorry but aside from the singing (particularly in the first half) the atmosphere at Wycombe was unremittingly negative from where I was sat (again, a first half view rather than second half where I was somewhat out of the way). Every misplaced pass was greeted with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, usually directed the way of a "target".

Poultice

On point 1, I generally accepted this at the time as a positive in terms of how far we had come as a club since relegation that defeat was treated as something of an affront to our standing as a club. At least until we lost at Forest Green in 06/07, where throughout the match there was ridiculous negativity and even the more so-called rational posters on Exeweb claimed we were rubbish that night and "should be beating teams like them" - which was patronising as much as inaccurate.

I disagree somewhat with point 2 - I don't think we "deserved" to lose at Leyton Orient bar a mad 15 minutes which saw Troy lose his head for a while. We certainly didn't deserve to lose at Wycombe where we were well on top for almost the entire match, while Colchester only made things comfortable (going by radio evidence) when two goals up and a man up. We were somewhat toothless, hopefully the return to fitness of Nards, Bauza and O'Flynn will see us right to the end of the season.

On point 3, sorry but aside from the singing (particularly in the first half) the atmosphere at Wycombe was unremittingly negative from where I was sat (again, a first half view rather than second half where I was somewhat out of the way). Every misplaced pass was greeted with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, usually directed the way of a "target".
What a pile of utter b*ll*cks this is, goes pretty well with the OP.

The support at Orient and Wycombe was absolutely phenomenal considering the turgid performances, I would probably add Colchester to that as well considering the only real protest was a reluctance among the faithful to clap the team off, none of them deserved their wages let alone applause.

So the odd pleb out of 6 or 7 hundred vents his all to reasonable frustration, WTF ?

MTFU man !

The support given by the vast majority of the travelling fans should qualify them for sainthood not a slagging off, especially when some of your comments suggest you weren't actually looking at the pitch, for every one pointless pass Sercs gave to the Knobbler I would guess he got three back.

elginCity

In this dawning of a new era for Exeweb, is it too late to hope that there may be a modicum of rational thinking in the future? No? Shame..
Well, let's just hope there's a modicum of tolerance instead.

Football fans come from a broad church, not everyone has benefited from a university education, or have 50 years experience of watching the game.
Many, if not most are influenced by emotion, and often become irrational, not only at the game, but also on here.

Some call it 'passion', things are said or written that wouldn't normally, and it can be argued at least shows they care about the club. Same goes for Tisdale's response, and his swearing in front of the ladies.

With Noble, as with Harley, some only see 'laziness' or 'torpor' where others appreciate their technical ability and what it brings to the team. Generally speaking we forgive a lack of ability, but are unforgiving of a lack of effort and as a consequence some fans berate loudly whereas the others laud quietly. Makes it interesting.

Personally speaking I believe indifference, and apathy, to be far worse.

Last edited: