• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colchester United FC v Exeter City FC Matchday Thread

Cerbera

Lads, I'm just back from Aldershot and was receiving texts from my mate regarding your match. Have to say, it is true, your six pointers are running out. If you don't get a result against Yeovil I truly fear relegation is likely. I'm not posting as a gloating Janner, hell we have little enough to gloat about. I post this as someone who has been to SJP this season and seen the (admittedly infrequent) good football your squad is capable of and genuinely hope you can turn it around.

Happy New Year everyone.

FAN-TATIC

Sorry, but why is that ironic ?
I guess the answer to my question, (and that is what it is) is no!

Darren Moxey

Resigned
Just got back (feels strange to be back in Devon so early after an away day). Once again, 90 minutes of football was the only thing to mar a good day out - had a few beers in the town with some Colchester supporting mates, before we made our way to the out-of-town stadium. I'm not a fan of these new style stadiums, but have to admit that I had a good view from the side (in the home end).

The standard of football was very poor and you can see why Stevenage put six past them in the previous game. Unfortunately, we (once again) lacked that cutting edge up front and spurned several good chances. From set-pieces we were equally dire, which has sadly been the case for most of the season. I missed the first goal and the red card as I was in the loo on both occasions (okay, you can blame my bladder for the defeat if you want!) My friends informed me the red card was down to Artur, which was disappointing to hear.

It's worrying to hear that Tis is unlikely to bring in any new faces in the January transfer, but we'll see; maybe he has an ace up his sleeve.

Unfortunately (or maybe that should be fortunately given the 'performances' I've witnessed so far this season :p) this is going to be my last away game for a while due to work commitments and the fact that the weekend is the only time I'm really able to see my son at the moment (he's still a bit too young to appreciate a day out watching the Grecians). So hopefully my absence will bring better results for the boys!

Anyway to hit the beer again! Happy New Year all!

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not much of a rush to express a view of proceedings from the 142, not all that surprising, we were absolutely awful, that would be three games in a few weeks I have been subjected to that suggest to me that the players are not good enough, the coaches are totally ineffective and the manager is f*cking clueless, we can't score, we can't defend, the midfield can neither pass the ball effectively, retain possession nor cover up the deficiencies at the back.

That is all.

Red Devon

********; we can't defend said:
Above all, until this problem is sorted...we're in trouble!!!

MickStagraget

Not much of a rush to express a view of proceedings from the 142, not all that surprising, we were absolutely awful, that would be three games in a few weeks I have been subjected to that suggest to me that the players are not good enough, the coaches are totally ineffective and the manager is f*cking clueless, we can't score, we can't defend, the midfield can neither pass the ball effectively, retain possession nor cover up the deficiencies at the back.

That is all.
Did you feel that we were outplayed at Wycombe? Personally I thought that our (and their) defense was poor but that they largely got gifted the 3 goals that they scored, overall they weren't that much better than us.There were certainly some times that we were playing some nice football and seemed to have the upper hand.

Ashford Grecian

A very poor game, we never got going or had any fluidity with simple 5 yard passes going straight into touch... The frustrating thing is that Colchester didn't look much better and only played and passed the ball around after they went 2-0 up and we were then shortly down to 10 men after Coles gave the ball away with a shocking pass and then fouled the player on the edge of the box.....
Our best chance fell to Hackett when the score was still 0-0, played clean through he showed the keeper which way he was going to shoot and he duly dived and made the save... Very little to sing about, we did try and raise the boys in the first 15 mins and the drum hardly got a bang so flat was our performance and the overall atmosphere.... A few long range efforts were all we could muster, most going horribly wide and a deflected effort from Sercs that the keeper scrambled round for a corner..... Noble was the only player to show any composure on the ball but just didn't have enough possession to be effective. I assume Hackett's injury re-occurred and Nards simply does not look fit and was woefully one-paced.... On this display I cannot see where we are going to get the required points on the board to stay out of the bottom four places.....
As a side issue parking was an absolute joke, I came of the A12 turned left towards the trading estate and saw one premises open at £6.00... Carried at least another half a mile into town and was now at least a mile from the ground but every single side road had a "no match day" parking sign displayed and a steward deployed at the top to ensure no one could park... I swear it would have taken 30 minutes to walk to the ground from here anyway and just seemed complete overkill..... Had no choice but to turn around and pay the rip off price....

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Did you feel that we were outplayed at Wycombe? Personally I thought that our (and their) defense was poor but that they largely got gifted the 3 goals that they scored, overall they weren't that much better than us.There were certainly some times that we were playing some nice football and seemed to have the upper hand.
Yeah...yeah...yeah....

Sorry, but it's a recurring theme this season. Same at Orient, same against many poorer/equally crap teams. We end up making them look better than they really are through pussying around on the ball and consistently failing to either defend properly or get the bleddy ball in the onion bag.

(Oh and don't make it sound worse than it really was.....3 goals??? ;) )

Pete Martin (CTID)

(Oh and don't make it sound worse than it really was.....3 goals??? ;) )
Sorry my bad there...thought you were referring to today's game.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A very poor game, we never got going or had any fluidity with simple 5 yard passes going straight into touch... The frustrating thing is that Colchester didn't look much better and only played and passed the ball around after they went 2-0 up and we were then shortly down to 10 men after Coles gave the ball away with a shocking pass and then fouled the player on the edge of the box.....
Our best chance fell to Hackett when the score was still 0-0, played clean through he showed the keeper which way he was going to shoot and he duly dived and made the save... Very little to sing about, we did try and raise the boys in the first 15 mins and the drum hardly got a bang so flat was our performance and the overall atmosphere.... A few long range efforts were all we could muster, most going horribly wide and a deflected effort from Sercs that the keeper scrambled round for a corner..... Noble was the only player to show any composure on the ball but just didn't have enough possession to be effective. I assume Hackett's injury re-occurred and Nards simply does not look fit and was woefully one-paced.... On this display I cannot see where we are going to get the required points on the board to stay out of the bottom four places.....
As a side issue parking was an absolute joke, I came of the A12 turned left towards the trading estate and saw one premises open at £6.00... Carried at least another half a mile into town and was now at least a mile from the ground but every single side road had a "no match day" parking sign displayed and a steward deployed at the top to ensure no one could park... I swear it would have taken 30 minutes to walk to the ground from here anyway and just seemed complete overkill..... Had no choice but to turn around and pay the rip off price....
Odd..I went past the £6 parking on the left and parked in an industrial estate 20 minutes away for £2..was at the next roundabout after the one you paid in...