• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The next step

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
All I can do is quote directly from what he said to the Committee on March 15 [my emphassis].
Well that's a lump of my life I'm never getting back, interesting read but didn't learn a lot, odd that our 'acting CEO' seems to hold a completely different view from our revered Bossers.

geoffwp

Getting there isn't the problem I envisige. With a bit of luck, fair wind and a couple of minor improvements in personnel, we can get there. It's staying there long enough to build on the achievement I doubt without some kind kind of influx into the coffers. It won't come from The Trust without a substancial increase in membership. The increase in membership won't happen unless the team can maintain a substancial spell in The Championship and it won't come from outside because of the current apathy to such input from within the current Trust membership.
Not apathy Ian, just common sense. I take it you'd love a sugar daddy to come in and tell us all that he 'LOVES' the club just as we do, in fact he always has, and he is going to fund us to the promised land? Or am I wrong about that?

Boyo

In order to improve the team and squad we need to increase the club's income. Quite how we do that is the million dollar question. More bums on seats with each bum spending more is an obvious answer but where the capital comes from to build facilities is a mystery. A bar behind the BB would be a start.

The other thing we need to sort out is the pitch. Is it a coincidence that our our poor home form was when the pitch was clearly at it's worst?

grecIAN Harris

Not apathy Ian, just common sense. I take it you'd love a sugar daddy to come in and tell us all that he 'LOVES' the club just as we do, in fact he always has, and he is going to fund us to the promised land? Or am I wrong about that?
I wouldn't want The Trust to lose control of the club Geoff but there comes a point where there needs to be some kind of 'outside' help for the football side of things to progress. Progression simply will not happen without an added expense that I believe The Trust, in it's current size, simply cannot fuel.

FAN-TATIC

But will they though? This season you could look at the results at home to Huddersfield, Yeovil and Hartlepool as genuine f*ck-ups by all concerned, and on another day it's not entirely ridiculous to imagine us winning those three games. Given that, we'd be nine points better off, which, I think, would be enough to secure a play-off spot.

So is it so beyond imagination that this current squad and set up could have taken us to the Championship? Of course, once we were there, who knows http://www.trevorcope.com/New Folder (9)/tram.JPG etc - without needing to relinquish Trust control of the club.
I am sorry Antony but there is a flaw in looking at City in isolation and saying that if we had won those three games we would have had 9 more points and made the play-offs. It ignores the fact that other clubs in the top ten positions could refer to a similar senario, which would mean that City would still not have made the play- offs. If Argyle had won just three of the games that they lost home they would not have been relegated.

The League reflects reality not supposition.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

I am sorry Antony but there is a flaw in looking at City in isolation and saying that if we had won those three games we would have had 9 more points and made the play-offs. It ignores the fact that other clubs in the top ten positions could refer to a similar senario, which would mean that City would still not have made the play- offs. If Argyle had won just three of the games that they lost home they would not have been relegated.

All very good points. It wasnt that long ago that we were the same distance pointswise from the playoff places as we were the dreaded drop zone. We then had a few results go our way, and other teams dropped unlikely points, and it became apparent in early march that we had a decent shot at the top six, along with about six other teams! Then we threw away the Yeovil game, but just about managed to scrape past Swindon 1-0 in the fog, and the playoffs looked somewhat likely again! We ended up though where we deserved to be, based on the whole season. That squad would never have made a fist of the playoffs.

STURTZ

Gonna be hard to better this season IMO, fantastic season with a great balance of players, youth and experience in all areas. Also a very good team spirit that ensured that any dips were only going to be short ones.

I hope we can get in players to replace the ones we have lost but I realise that it's going to be very hard, especially if Tisdale goes. The final league table this season is going to be an image that we will refer to for years to come. City right up there and Argyle relegated, great season that deserves celebration.

eurogrecian

Good thread.

Lacking imagination perhaps, but I don't think we are kitted out for the Championship yet, either on or off the pitch.
I'd prefer another exciting season in League 1, this season was just great:

- solvent and well-run (no Japanese ‘businessmen’ involved)
- likely to be one of the highest league finishes in the Club's history
- second highest average league attendance in the last 30 years
- 5 match (all away) unbeaten run in the JPT
- emergence of another of our youth products as a real talent: Liam Sercombe
- Nardiello (90+3) + Dunne's missile at home
- Exeter City...5 Sheffield Wednesday...1
- Charlton Athletic...1 Exeter City...3 in front of 25,000, wrecking Charlton's season!

So, another solid season in League 1 and a run in the FAC are my hopes for next year.

Antony Moxey

My point was though that that was all the difference between us and the play-offs. It only needed a couple of results here and there, and those results could have come in games that we really shouldn't have lost.

We are where we are because we deserve to be, and because we're the eighth best team in the division, however my point was more about what we had to do to close that - in my eyes - relatively small gap.

crocks

Seems to me that the OG is even more of a wreck this season. One of the window panels (end nearest BB) was taken out very early on in the season. Parts of the roof/ceiling have girt big cracks in them. Ivy is growing through the corrugated sheets.......if it gets throiugh H&S for next season, it will be a miracle.