• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When I was a lad.....

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
It's just occured to my rather adled brain that the city of Exeter has rarely seen such success on a sporting level. Not only have City just mullered Sheffield Wednesday the team whch played in the 1966 FA Cup Final but we will soon be playing Southampton, winners of the 1976 final. Next Sunday we will be playing Swindon who of course, beat Arsenal in the 1969 League Cup Final.

Exeter Chiefs, who this season have beaten Gloucester, Newcastle, Leeds, Saracens, will be playing against Leicester Tigers on 2 January.

When has Exeter ever been a place where teams like this play? In my day the highlight of the Xmas sporting calendar was watching City v. the Sh*tehawks on Boxing Day.

I just hope the younger members of this forum realise how lucky they are to have such a choice.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great post, and it's so so true. I know that one day we will be shocking again, hopefully not for many years though!

Thing is, it's not the young uns fault that they done remember 10 years ago!

This is , indeed, a golden time.

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It just proves how far the westcountry has come
People come from all over cos the two Exeter teams are doing so well, most of the time visitors say how much they enjoy it.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The same can't be said for Gargoyle! :D [G]

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great OP and so true. You young 'uns don't know how good you've got it these days, and anyone who remembers the football we played in mid eighties to sub 2k crowds will know just how far we've come since then.

Of course we had the Championship season, but that was pretty much just a blip with the fat end of 20 years of mediocrity either side of it! These things are circular though, and sometime in the future, as Lammie says, we'll be rubbish again, but this current period is probably as good as we've ever been in our history.

Indeed, we may never get a period like this again (there are some who already say we've had our best ever game and it'll never be beaten ;)), so ride the wave and enjoy it as much as you can.

greenawayr

You neglected Wednesdays two visits to wembley in 94 when they lost to arsenal in both the league cup and fa cup!

axred

You neglected Wednesdays two visits to wembley in 94 when they lost to arsenal in both the league cup and fa cup!
I think they did win the league cup in 91 ?

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
I think they did win the league cup in 91 ?
Indeed they did.

A solitary goal from John Sheridan IIRC, against Manure.