• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Disgraceful Scenes at Home Park

Daughter of I_M

You going down a day early? Brave.
According to the Express and Echo the game is on the 10th.........lol

(no idea if this has been mentioned before)

Also, to keep in line with the OP I am quite worried about going on the 11th....

grecianite

You going down a day early? Brave.
I have to :( got a bloody accounting exam the day before the match. Twice to Plymouth in two days :(

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You missed my point. I meant you might aswell start the thread a day before the game, it's going to happen. You might aswell start talking about 'shocking' events unfolding at Home Park in the League fixture.
I see.

All seemed quite tame compared with the 70s. Sharing the cowshed was much more interesting!

Whiptonite

Resigned
What's all this about 'minority'? What i saw last night was THE WHOLE of 'zoo corner' all giving it large, zoo corner was home to about a third of all Argyle support, hardly minority.
Don't they teach maths at your school? A third is less than a half, so it's a minority.

mt405

"Supt Sumner also said that a steward was injured after, he believed, he was hit in the face by coins.

He said: “The police and the stewards who maintained the segregation of home and away fans faced violence towards them on both sides – including being struck by coins, fireworks and other objects."

Like much of the coverage on BBC, this annoyed me because it gives the impression both sides were equally to blame.

I can't speak re the town centre, but the only actual violence I saw from the City fans was throwing back a few of the bottles first thrown from the home end.

I hope the club make a strong statement; otherwise I worry our fans will be tarred with the same brush as the criminals in the Argyle end.

I'd be interested to know how much actual violence people saw from our fans.

Last edited:
For me the most shocking bit was the use of distress flares as weapons.
The only time I saw flares at a football game was in 1972. I was wearing them.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
The only time I saw flares at a football game was in 1972. I was wearing them.
were you arrested though Mick? You would have been these days and quite rightly! :)

grecian till i die

The thing that made me laugh was when the police at the end of the game started doing follow the leader :p

flackyISmydadHONEST

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Supt Sumner also said that a steward was injured after, he believed, he was hit in the face by coins.

He said: “The police and the stewards who maintained the segregation of home and away fans faced violence towards them on both sides – including being struck by coins, fireworks and other objects."

Like much of the coverage on BBC, this annoyed me because it gives the impression both sides were equally to blame.

I hope the club make a strong statement; otherwise I worry our fans will be tarred with the same brush as the criminals in the Argyle end
That's exactly what I thought. Spotlight made no attempts to make it clear that it was the scum in the home end bottling their own stewards and merely preferred to use the phrase "fans" rather than "home" or "Argyle fans."

whiff

I wasn't there on Tuesday night so have no idea how scary it was but personally I hope as many people as possible, including families, will still want to go to the league game. This will show, in the right way, that Exeter City fans are not intimidated by the mindless, thuggish minority and that we are proud to be a community club supported by all parts of that community.
Others have talked about the League game in 1993 which was the first game at Home Park for a while. I was 15 at the time and although the atmosphere was lively that day and there were clearly all sorts of shenanigans going on I saw absolutely nothing first hand to make me feel uncomfortable or make my friend's dad regret taking me to the game. We can only hope that if PAFC and the Police get their act together the same will be true in four or five weeks time.
One other quick question, particularly aimed at the Plymouth fans posting on here. Does anyone know if consideration was given to moving the away end when the ground was redeveloped. It does seem madness that away fans still have to walk away round the ground through the park to get back to the car park.