• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

English Language Class/ Watson should of scored (sic)

hatch4england

What about that terrible mangling of the language by the child - broadcast before every match?

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Week 1 :
Recently, and for reasons unbeknown (but probably related to pronunciation), should've / could've seems to have morphed into could of / should of, e.g Watson should of scored instead of the correct Watson should've scored. So, come on boys and girls, let's make an effort to use our language correctly : our culture is at stake !! Week 1 class over. By The 8-| ;)
Whilst I 100% agree with you on this particularly obnoxious irritant, at the risk of being accused of unneccessary linguistic pedantry are you, yourself, not slightly guilty of a lazy contraction of should have and could have here?

Oh, and PS: Watson COULDN'T OF scored today either, as it 'appens. He weren't even on the bench. ;)

Last edited:

Grecian2K

What about that terrible mangling of the language by the child - broadcast before every match?
A wee bit harsh on poor old Fullsy there, aren't we?! I mean, the poor chap does his best, after all. ;)

grecian till i die

i defo need these lessons lol

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can we have a lesson on your and you're please next week? It also seems to cause so many people so many problems.
i dont do apostrophes, cant be arsed

les.gtfc

Maybe a lesson on the correct use of apostrophes would not go amiss for some people.

arthur

Maybe a lesson on the correct use of apostrophes would not go amiss for some people.

That looks like an apostrophe perfectly well deployed. See the post's of newton pop for an object lesson in how not to use apostrophe's - hi's esse's are rarely without one...

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Check out the smaller yellow on blue.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
'Loose' instead of 'lose' is a particular irritant ...

arthur

Check out the smaller yellow on blue.
Thanks - your right:)