• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Short Corners

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
We had a convo on Tues evening stating when was the last time we scored from a corner? As in a cross and header?
Taylor vs Huddersfield?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
They need to mix up what is done at a corner. Near post, far post, penalty spot, etc. The video clip shows how not to do it, which I guess is where our frustration lies. It happened in a home game recently, where the ball ended up at the half way line in 2 moves, and the attack dead.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
We had two decent chances in the second half at Dagnum.

One was a Logie header from a corner and the other was Troy's sitter from one of they short corners. Mix it up, I say.

Cravat

Of course short corners can be useful but we, the large majority of the time, completely feck them up.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting discussion. However, Tiz has a guy on his staff, Dave Lee, who videos all the games and provides some incredibly detailed analysis - to such an extent, until you've met Dave and heard him talk about just what he does you wouldn't quite believe it. This being the case, however it might seem, I'm sure there must be some empirical evidence that short corners do, on occasions, pay dividends.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting discussion. However, Tiz has a guy on his staff, Dave Lee, who videos all the games and provides some incredibly detailed analysis - to such an extent, until you've met Dave and heard him talk about just what he does you wouldn't quite believe it. This being the case, however it might seem, I'm sure there must be some empirical evidence that short corners do, on occasions, pay dividends.
Well I don't have all this analysis and DVD's but I do have a pair of eyes and a memory and I can tell you or Tis for free that short corners do not work.

Same with the free kicks on the halfway line. We had a couple on Tuesday and rather than send troy up and knock it long, we **** around with it and give it back to Jonesey for him to shank it out of the ground.

GrecianInWales

Disagree!!!

Their is a clear advantage in taking a corner short (in a very similar way to taking a free kick short,) the advantage of changing the angle is huge.

Statistically the amount of goals stemming from short free kicks massively outweighs the direct "have a crack" approach.

In the same way by knocking a corner short it increases the visable angle on goal allowing the ball to be whipped inwards towards goal. Just as with free kicks, far more goals have been scored from playing the ball short than have been scored directly.

As some will no doubt point out mire often than not someone gets a header or touch on goal inside the box in these short pass scenarios, however that is irrelevent because if you pass short you have both the option to cross (which existed before,) also the ability to "legitimately" have a direct shot on target.

I Kant see any logical reason for people disliking the initial shortcorner option.
Well said that man!

Red Nose

I can't believe this thread is on it's 3rd page and no one has pointed out the obvious advantage of short corners.

Someone please...?

I’ll answer my own question then.

Most teams will defend a short corner by sending two defenders out wide. The attacking team therefore gains a numerical advantage in the box, as they are only using one additional player for the short corner. The defending team often lose the player off the front post when short corners occur.

Of course the short corner still needs to be executed correctly to take advantage of the situation.

For a text book example of how to defend against short corners, view the clip on page one of this thread. Note the second defender doesn’t leave the six yard box until the corner has been taken short. This rarely happens.

Last edited:

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
There was a short corner in the second half on Tuesday night, right-hand side, Harley again involved. Some slick triangular interplay on the edge of the box, culminating in a wayward shot by somebody, but it very nearly paid off.

but I do have a pair of eyes and a memory and I can tell you or Tis for free that short corners do not work.
Your memory doesn't extend back to May 2009 then when a short corner effectively sealed us promotion to League 1?